forty-four: hospital waiting rooms

Louis sits in the waiting room at the hospital, holding  a sleeping Easton on his lap as he waits for any news on Harry. He couldn't help but be worried, he'd seen what had happened to Liam... 

"Sir... Have you been checked on?" A nurse asks, walking over to Louis who looks away from the doors that lead to surgery. Louis blinks at her as he tries to remember what it was she asked. 

"I uh... I'm just waiting to see if my friend is going to be alright." Louis says, earning a sympathetic smile from the nurse.

"Why don't you come over to one of the exam beds for a moment? You look like you might've hit your head on something." She says, her fingers brushing over the dried blood on Louis' forehead. Louis shakes his head, biting down on his bottom lip as he looks towards the doors yet again.

"I can't leave my friend, he'll be worried if I'm not there before he wakes up." Louis whispers, refusing to look away from the door even when the nurse lets out a soft sigh. 

"Sir, I'm sure your friend won't be up for a little while.... I promise that the moment I hear anything, I'll let you know but can you at least do me a favor and let me make sure that you're okay? Is there anyone that I can contact for you and your friend?" She asks, waiting patiently as Louis once again looks at her. He takes his time to answer, staring at her blankly as if he couldn't think of anyone she should call. 

"My... My husband, Zayn. He's probably worried sick about me..." Louis says, looking at her with that blank stare as he speaks.

"Alright... I'll have the front desk give him a ring." The nurse says, holding her hand out for Louis who hesitates in taking it. He holds Easton with one arm as she leads him towards one of the hospital beds that sat against the wall in the ER. She sits him down before pulling out a small light from her pocket and shining it in Louis' eyes. Louis flinches from it, rearing his head back as he blinks rapidly. Louis goes to tell her off, not appreciating what she did only to be interrupted by the sound of someone shouting. 

"Where is he?! Where's Louis?!" Zayn's voice is the one that Louis hears and he almost can't believe his eyes when he sees him for the first time in days. Louis doesn't even hesitate in standing up from the gurney, continuing to hold Easton as he stumbles into Zayn's view. Zayn's frantic expression fades when he sees Louis standing there and he takes no time at all in running towards his husband, scooping him into his arms as he buries his face into Louis' shoulder. Easton lets out a shriek of surprise, pushing at Zayn's chest but Zayn still refuses to let go of Louis who's crying softly. 

"I thought I'd lost you..." Zayn whispers, finally letting Louis go and holding the smaller boy's face in between both of his hands. Louis lets out a soft sob, placing his free hand on top of one of Zayn's as he looks at him with teary eyes. 

"L-Liam's dead, Zayn." Louis gets out, his voice getting caught in his throat as he fights back another sob. Louis wasn't sure if he was sad about it or not, in a way he was relieved... but in another, Liam had once been a good friend to him. 

"I know... I uh... I was with Trisha when it happened. She told me it was you." Zayn says quietly, still looking Louis over as if he was expecting Louis to disappear any second now. He runs his fingers over Louis' cheek, a frown forming on his face when he notices the dried blood on Louis' forehead. 

"Did you hit your head?" Zayn asks, his finger gliding over the injury only to have Louis wince a little. 

"It's not too bad... I think I might've just had a rock hit me or something. I'm fine... It's Harry I'm worried about." 

"I'm sure he'll be okay... He didn't get hit by anything did he?" 

"I don't know... I  don't really remember much... One minute I was standing by the car waiting for Harry and Liam and the next the cabin had blown up. I remember seeing Harry fall, but I didn't see if he got hit by anything. He passed out after I got to him and he didn't wake up the entire drive to the hospital. I would've called an ambulance but there wasn't any cell service." Louis says quietly, biting down on his bottom lip as he looks towards the door that Harry had gone through an hour or so ago. 

"This is my fault, isn't it?" Louis asks, earning a surprised laugh from Zayn who makes Louis look at him again.

"No. This isn't your fault, Louis. This is my mother's fault alright? She's the one who did this, not you." Zayn is quick to reassure him, placing a soft kiss onto Louis' temple only to have Louis shake his head. He gets ready to say something else but he was interrupted by Niall running into the emergency room. Niall doesn't even hesitate in running towards Louis, grabbing the baby right out of his arms and holding Easton close to his chest as he starts to cry. Zayn and Louis give them a moment, standing off to the side as Zayn holds Louis securely into his side. It was only then that it began to sink in for Louis that he was safe. 

--------------------------------------------------------

meh.

so this story is drawing to its close... we're looking at probably six more chapters i think.

we shall see. 

dedication goes to bust_a_nut_bItch_

comment

and

vote

connie xx