A Long Walk Back

Bonnie and her newly acquired friend were walking back to her cottage but Bonnie didn't know wether it was the right thing to do, besides she just met him.

"So... I'm Bonnie and I was born here and I've lived here all my life."

Bonnie says trying to make things less awkward.

"Hello Bonnie, lovely name by the way, I'm Wallace and I live in Edinburgh. I'm actually just visiting but then we came here and we stayed in a small village where some wolves stayed not to far from where we were. Then at night wolves tried to attack us and everyone was trying to escape. I ran to this forest and I don't know if my family alive."

Wallace said.

"Oh no, I bet they're alright."

Bonnie said worriedly.

"I wanted to visit the highlands but none of my family did. I persuaded them so we came for the weekend and now I don't even know if they are alive."

Wallace said nervously.

"Do you want to find them? I will do my best to help you."

Bonnie replied.

"Well actually I think that I want to be away from them for awhile. I don't really like the city and I just want to have a normal life. I can't thank you enough for everything and I can't wait to eat again."

Wallace said smiling, Bonnie could tell he was trying to avoid the topic but decided not to delve in just yet.

"So how was your city life?"

Bonnie curiously asked.

"Oh well, I don't really do much. I go to school and have almost everything done for me,"

Wallace said a little embarrassed of his poor answer.

"What about you?"

"I don't go to school. I work on a farm and help keep my family going."

Bonnie said staring at the ground trying to hide her face so Wallace couldn't see her cheeks burning bright red.

"School is boring, I'd rather have a simple life on a farm,"

Wallace told Bonnie trying to make her feel better.

"Who do you live with?"

Wallace tried again to change the subject.

"I live with my mum, dad and little brother Marcus. How about you?"

"I live with my Father, Mother, little sister and the servants."

Wallace regretted saying the last part.

"I don't think my family are going to be happy with me bringing someone home so I'm afraid you're going to have to sleep in the barn with the cows. I will bring you meals, water and some blankets so you won't freeze. You can stay with me as long as you wish."

Bonnie said a little nervous, hoping Wallace wouldn't be upset.

"No its fine I'm so used to sleeping on a huge bed, but this is exciting to have a different experience."

Wallace replied eagerly, Bonnie was shocked. They kept talking until they reached the edge of the forest.

"That's my little cottage."

Bonnie said happy to see it. It was still raining and they were shivering. Bonnie didn't mention it but she noticed Wallace was limping and she couldn't keep it to herself anymore.

"I'm sorry but I have to ask, is your leg alright?"

"As I was running and I tripped over a huge hill and my leg hit a massive tree and I broke my leg."

Wallace said looking down at it.

"Oh my, well I'll help you tomorrow morning. Didn't it hurt walking up here?! I think you should stay until its better. Will you?"

Bonnie asked hopefully.

"I can't feel it because it's numb and I'd love to stay with you."

Wallace said with a nervous laugh. Bonnie started giggling as well that she fell over and he laid down next to her and Daisy below them. The rain was hitting their faces and thunder could be heard in the distance, but Bonnie was happy.

"How did you get named Bonnie, not that I don't like the name but do you know why?"

Wallace asked looking up at the moon.

"When I was born my mother didn't want any name, she wanted the perfect name. So she asked my dad to open the window so she could see outside. See that loch down there, well that's loch Bonnie and she says that she looked at the heather, lavender, and almost everything here. Then she looked over at the loch, the sun was shimmering over it and she whispered "Bonnie." That's how I got my name, it means pretty or beautiful."

Bonnie said still staring up at the moon afraid she might've given Wallace a shock for saying so much.

"That's a beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

Wallace whispered under his breath.