Go and get pushed too far - Part 20

The next morning went by quickly. Seth worked on his speech and knew how to pronounce almost every word, however he couldn't quite understand how to put words together. He would mispronounce most sentences and use the wrong tenses.

Maryse, the speech therapist, said that this was a common thing to happen. The large majority of people that had been in a coma for such a long amount of time, usually struggled to create sentences with the words they learnt.

There was a chance Seth would improve, but the largest outcome in this situation, involved people speaking like that for the rest of their lives.

Dean didn't mind though, he thought it was cute that Seth spoke childishly, in a way. Seth however, did not enjoy it. He got very frustrated when he mispronounced a sentence or got stuck on a word, when speaking.

His speech wasn't anything to worry about at the moment though. The most important thing, was the strength in Seth's legs. His physiotherapy started today and Seth was slightly nervous. He didn't want to be stuck in a wheelchair all his life.

Dean dressed Seth in some gym shorts and a t-shirt, to make him more comfortable. Seth's legs felt weird when Dean lifted them to dress him. They were slightly numb and they felt stiff.

Anton, the physiotherapist introduced himself and talked Seth through what was going to happen. The first lesson involved exercising the leg muscles, but there would be no walking included yet as the legs wouldn't be ready to support his weight. 

"Alright, so Dean if you could stand on Seth's right side and I'll stand on the left. We'll start by placing one hand underneath his thigh and the other hand underneath his calf." Anton said, letting Dean know how he could help support Seth.

"What I do now?" Seth asked, feeling awkward with the therapist touching his thigh and getting annoyed about his lack of sentence knowledge.

"Just relax your body and try to bend your left knee." Anton replied.

"Okay." Seth sighed, taking a deep breath and relaxing his body.

He really didn't want to do this. He was scared that the outcome would disappoint him. However, when he looked at Dean's face he instantly felt a wave of comfort.

Seth closed his eyes and put all of his strength into bending his knee. At first nothing happened, but after a few minutes of trying, his knee moved the smallest amount. If someone had blinked, they would have missed it.

"That was a good start Seth." Anton smiled. "You definitely need a lot more practice, but you're doing good so far. Do you think you can bend your right knee for me?"

Seth already felt exhausted, but he followed the orders and tried his best to bend his knee. Dean could feel Seth tensing his muscles, but his knee didn't move. His body wasn't ready yet.

"I can't do it." Seth sighed, feeling bad about himself.

"No worries, you did good. I suggest you take a nap to relax your body, and I'll be back tonight to finish off the session. We'll be doing the same thing that we just did. Doing these exercises twice a day will help strengthen your muscles." Anton smiled.

"Okay." Seth replied, wanting to sleep. "Thanks."

"No problem, see you in a few hours." Anton left the room.

Dean was smiling when Seth looked over at his face. His hands were still under Seth's leg, which was a bit awkward but Seth didn't mind.

"I'm so proud of you." Dean said. "You'll be walking in no time."

"I hope so." Seth sighed, feeling defeated. He wasn't looking forward to the next session. He didn't want to be disappointed again.

"You should get some sleep. You look tired." Dean whispered, moving his hands to place them on Seth's hips.

"Yeah, I am." Seth replied, his eyes drooping shut.

"Sleep tight. I love you."

"I love you too." Seth replied, before falling into a deep sleep. Who knew bending your knee could be so tiring?

Seth awoke and ate some lunch, before starting his second session of physiotherapy. It was similar to the first session. Seth could move his left leg slightly, but still couldn't move his right leg.

Anton suggested doing extra exercises on Seth's right leg, since it seemed to be the weaker leg of the two.

Seth was once again exhausted and had no problem falling asleep after therapy. When Hunter, Stephanie and Roman came to visit, Seth was out for the count. Dean told them everything that had happened in the therapy session and everyone was happy with the results.

__________

The next day arrived and Seth had another session with Anton. There was a big improvement in his movement. Seth was able to completely bend his left knee, with the support of Anton's hands, but he still could bend his right knee.

Anton suggested that Dean gently moved Seth's leg and bend his knee for him, in hopes that it would wake up the muscles more.

Dean did just that. Seth's leg once again felt like jelly, but he also felt a great amount of relief seeing his leg move. He tried to bend his right knee once again and this time he was able to move it slightly.

Anton said that the right side of his body was just a bit more delayed than the left side. It was a common thing to happen after not moving for so long.

After having lunch, Seth took a nap only to be woken up an hour later by Dean, who told him that he had company. Seth sat up against the headboard and saw a lovely looking, brown haired lady.

"Hello Seth, my name's Alex. It's nice to meet you." Alex smiled, shaking Seth's hand.

"You too." Seth replied, still feeling half asleep.

"I just wanted to introduce myself to you. I'm going to be your therapist for the next six weeks. Our sessions together will be a great chance to get things off of your chest and talk about any problems you might be having." Alex smiled.

"Oh, okay." Seth said simply, not knowing how to react.

"I know it's hard to talk about things that are bothering you, but it will help you in the long run. I'll let you get back to sleep now. Our first session is tomorrow afternoon." 

"Okay, thanks." Seth smiled, he was too tired to care at the moment.

"See you tomorrow." Alex waved, leaving the room.

Seth looked over to Dean, with a disgusted look on his face, before rolling his eyes and going back to sleep. He didn't need a therapist. There was nothing wrong with him.