Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Halloween had finally arrived at Hogwarts, and with that came the Halloween feast. While the feast wasn't going to be as exciting as it had been two years ago, when the professors had chosen the champions for the Triwizard Tournament, I was still looking forward to it. Before the feast, however, I had to do some research.

The library was surprisingly empty that afternoon. The only other people that I saw were Madam Pince and Andy, who was studying quietly and didn't seem to notice me. I sat down next to him and saw that he was reading a copy of Quidditch Through The Ages by Kennilworthy Whisp, most likely in an attempt to learn some Quidditch strategy.

I set down my school textbooks and began to browse through the History of Magic section. I found a book called Snape: Scoundrel or Saint? and picked it up, wondering if it might tell me anything about the Snape fellow that had interrupted my conversation with Mr Padfoot. I read the first few pages and set it back down. It was clear that this was no factual account of Snape's life, and when I saw who wrote it, I saw why. Everyone knew that nearly all of Rita Skeeter's stories were false, but that didn't stop people from believing her.

I continued to search, and I discovered that both The Rise and Fall of the Dark Arts and Modern Magical History mentioned that Sirius Black was a member of the original Order of the Phoenix, but gave very little other information about him. I saw that both books were published before the end of the First Wizarding War, which explained a lot. I needed something more recent.

I stumbled upon all seven Harry Potter books, and took them off of the shelf. The first two volumes did not mention Sirius Black, but I found some information in the third book. At the beginning of the book, Sirius Black was in Azkaban for murdering twelve Muggles and a man named Peter Pettigrew. Why would Sirius do that? I wondered. He seemed so nice when I talked to him. As I read on, I discovered that Sirius was innocent. I skimmed through the next two books, and I finally found out how he died in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. It turned out that Sirius had fallen through the Veil during the Battle of the Department of Mysteries.

I put the books back and left the library. I climbed up the stairs in the North Tower to the room where the mirror was, and I saw a familiar image in the reflection. I could see the lake once again. It reminded me of how much I had to feel the wind chill again before I got old. I could see myself and a few of my classmates waiting to cross the lake, with the rest of my classmates along with Pete, Joe, and Andy waiting on the other side. I heard Professor McGonagall call my name once again, and my reflection hopped into a boat and drifted to the other side of the lake.

The scene faded away, and the voices returned. I was able to quickly pull out Sirius Black's voice. "Is that you, Stump?" he asked.

"Yes, it's me," I said. "Hello Sirius. How have you been?"

"I haven't done anything since you came to visit," Sirius complained. "Have you heard the news that I'm dead?"

"Yes Sirius, we've heard the news," I said.

"Something's bothering you," Sirius observed. "What is it?"

I sighed and said, "A lot of things. I'm moving to Chicago after this year, and I know that I'll miss everyone here after I move. There's also the Flying Car Brigade and Fall Out Boy and..."

"You don't need to be so afraid of change," Sirius interrupted.

"I'm not scared of change," I said. "I'm scared that I'm going to hurt someone else. I won't be able to see Pete as much, not to mention all of my other friends."

"Who's Pete?" Sirius asked.

"My boyfriend," I said.

"You'll be fine," Sirius said. "I can't even count the number of times I've had to leave people that I loved, but every time, our friendship has lasted. I don't see why it can't be the same with you and your friends."

"It's different, Sirius," I said.

"It's not," Sirius replied. "Just think about it."

"Okay," I said. I took a look at the clock. It was getting late, and I couldn't seem to find my way home tonight, so I determined that I should probably go to the feast. "I have to go," I told Sirius.

"See you later, Stump," Sirius said.

"Bye Sirius," I said.

The voices faded away as I ran downstairs and into the Great Hall. As I took a seat at the Hufflepuff table, I saw that I was a little bit late. The Great Hall was already decorated for Halloween, the food was already on the table, and bats were already flying around the room. "Hi Patrick!" Teddy exclaimed. "Where were you? You missed the dancing skeletons!"

"They weren't that impressive," Miss Jackson said.

"I thought they were cool," Teddy said.

All of a sudden, Pete got up from the Gryffindor table. "Everyone, listen up!" he shouted. "We're singing 'Blood!'" Pete took out his wand and Transfigured one of the chairs into a piano, and Tyler began to play. Everyone else sang along as Pete awkwardly attempted to conduct.

Well they encourage your complete cooperation

Send you roses when they think you need to smile

I can't control myself because I don't know how

And they love me for it honestly, I'll be here for a while

So give them blood, blood, gallons of the stuff

Give them all that they can drink and it will never be enough

So give them blood, blood, blood

Grab a glass because there's going to be a flood

When the Gryffindors finished the song, Professor McGonagall said, "Five points from Gryffindor for singing that absurd little song again!"

"Ten points for Gryffindor for singing that wonderful song again!" Professor Lester exclaimed.

Pete Transfigured the piano back into a chair and then sat down again. I took some carrot cake for myself and tried not to think about what I had talked about with Sirius. All I wanted was to push all of that away and enjoy my year, but that didn't seem possible. Then again, I had made it to Halloween. The rest of the year couldn't be that hard.