Chapter 24

Chapter 24

The weekend came, and Pete and I decided to take a trip to Hogsmeade to celebrate our anniversary. After all, it seemed extraordinary that we had stayed together for two years. We were just about to leave when Brendon approached us. "Yo, I need to ask you something," he said. "Where's the Hog's Head?"

"It's on North Merlin Street," I told him.

"I don't know where that is," Brendon said. "Usually we play at the Three Broomsticks, but we got kicked out last time."

"I'll take you there," I said. "Follow me."

Pete and Brendon followed me as we headed down the path towards the village of Hogsmeade. As usual, the village seemed serene and picturesque. A thin layer of crisp snow covered the roads and rooftops, making the town even more beautiful. I walked down Gorsemoor Lane and turned left on North Merlin Street, with Pete and Brendon still following me. I found the Hog's Head Inn fairly quickly, and opened the door.

Once I looked inside, I began to wonder why exactly Brendon wanted to go there. The pub was very dingy, and the windows were so dirty that I couldn't see through them, even with my glasses on. There were a handful of people sitting at the wooden tables, including my next door neighbour, who was holding a deck of playing cards. "Hello Brendon," he said. "Are you ready to play?"

"Yes, and I'm going to win this time!" Brendon exclaimed.

The guy in the chiffon skirt shuffled the cards and dealt them out. The two of them then began an intense round of cards. Brendon was clearly there to gamble, and he seemed to be having a good time, so Pete and I left for the Three Broomsticks.

When we got there, Pete and I ordered some Butterbeer. "I'm half-tempted to order some Firewhisky," Pete said. "I am seventeen, after all."

"I don't want you getting drunk," I said.

"It would only be a little bit," Pete said. He shrugged and added, "I already ordered Butterbeer anyways, so this is pointless."

"It is pointless," I said.

"So what do you think Professor Howell and Professor Lester are going to do in Vegas?" Pete asked. "I bet it's just an excuse for them to get up to no good. Why would anyone hold a wizards' conference in Las Vegas?"

I shrugged. "The residents of Las Vegas are probably willing to overlook a couple of wizards," I said. "That's why they're holding it there. There are far stranger things in Vegas than an educational conference."

"That makes sense," Pete asid. "You know, we should visit Frank and Gerard. They live around here, right?"

"Yeah, they live down the street," I said. We finished our Butterbeer, and then stepped outside. I led Pete towards the little house with the thatched roof next to mine.

I knocked on the door, and I heard Frank's voice. "I'll get it," Frank said. He opened the door and said, "Hi Pete! Hi Patrick! Come on in. Gerard, are you almost finished?"

"Almost," Gerard said.

"What are you working on?" I asked.

"I was sketching Frank," Gerard said. "Give me one more minute, and then you can take a look." He continued to draw for a few more minutes, and then showed us the final sketch. It was a picture of Gerard and Frank covered in blood and about to kiss.

"Wow, that's really impressive," Pete said. "It's the second best thing since pizza."

"What's the best thing since pizza then?" I asked.

"You," Pete said, smiling.

"You should use this for our next album cover," Frank said as he studied the drawing.

"I might do that, but I'll have to change it a little bit," Gerard replied.

All of a sudden, a furry little dog shot out from one of the other rooms and licked Frank's leg. Another dog followed, and more and more dogs came until it appeared that the room had been taken over by a small army of puppies. "How many dogs do you have?!" Pete exclaimed.

"Too many," Gerard said.

"I have twelve dogs, and Gerard has a Pygmy Puff," Frank said. "She's really adorable."

"Lola uses they/them pronouns, Frank," Gerard said as he took his pink Pygmy Puff out of their cage.

"Okay," Frank said. "They're really adorable. By the way, you wouldn't believe what I trained Blurryface to do."

"You named your dog Blurryface?" I said.

"Yes, and he used it to wake up the whole Gryffindor house when he was in school!" Pete complained.

"Blurryface!" Frank exclaimed, and what appeared to be a Jack Russell terrier approached him. Frank told the dog to sit, and the dog did so. "Good boy!" Frank said, and he tossed a treat to Blurryface. "Speak," he said.

"My name's Blurryface, and I care what you think," the dog said.

"Good job, Blurryface!" Frank said as he gave the dog another treat. "That's the only thing he knows how to say," Frank told us.

"It's still impressive," Gerard said.

"My name's Blurryface, and I care what you think," Blurryface said again.

One of the other dogs started barking loudly, and Frank said, "I think it's time to feed the dogs. I'll talk to you two later."

"So long and goodnight, Frank," I said as Pete and I left the house and walked down the street. "Where should we go next?"

"It is our anniversary," Pete said. "We should head over to Madam Puddifoot's."

"Okay," I said. I held his hand, and the two of us went to Madam Puddifoot's Tea Shop. To be honest, neither Pete nor I was particularly fond of Madam Puddifoot's, with its overly frilly aesthetic and cramped space, but it was the only spot in Hogsmeade that seemed appropriate for an anniversary tea.

Both of us entered the shop, and I saw that nearly every table was occupied by other couples. Thankfully, there was an open table next to the window. Pete and I decided to split an afternoon tea, and while we were drinking our tea, I gave him his gift.

"This is awesome!" Pete exclaimed as he put on his hat. "Thanks Trick!"

"You're welcome," I said. "It matches mine."

"That's the best part," Pete said. "I got a gift for you too." He handed me a box, and I opened it and smiled.

"Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans!" I exclaimed. "Thanks Pete!"

"You're welcome," Pete said.

Pete and I stayed at Madam Puddifoot's for a while and just chatted. After a few hours, we finally left. We walked down the path back towards the castle, but as we passed the lake, I saw something pretty odd.

Brendon was sitting on the pier, and he was wearing high heels. Then again, he did make those high heels work.