Chapter 53

Chapter 53

When I entered the Great Hall, I headed straight for the Gryffindor table. Joe and Pete were in the middle of a seemingly intense conversation, so I waited for them to finish. Once they reached a pause in the conversation, I asked, "Is it okay if I sit here?"

"Of course, Trick," Pete said. "You're always welcome here."

I took the seat across from Pete and next to Spencer. "What's going on, Patrick?" Spencer asked as he took a large helping of Yorkshire pudding.

"Not much," I admitted. "I just wanted to talk to Pete about something."

"What did you want to talk about?" Pete asked, readjusting his eyeliner as he spoke.

"What exactly happened with Mikey Way?" I asked him. "I saw you two kissing in the hallway on Tuesday. Are you two together now?"

"No, we're not," Pete answered. "I'll be honest. I was only trying to make you jealous. I missed you so much, and I wanted you back."

"I missed you too," I said. "Anyways, that's what Mikey said. I was just making sure that was correct."

"It was all incredibly awkward," Pete said. "Kissing a ghost is a very strange experience. I don't think I'd do it again. I only did it because I hoped that if you were jealous enough, then you'd want me back."

"I've wanted you back this whole time!" I exclaimed. There was no way that he couldn't realise that.

"You did?" Pete said. "I thought that you were mad at me after I broke up with you."

"I wasn't mad, but I wasn't okay either," I said. "Trust me."

"I love you, Patrick," Pete said. "I broke up with you because I loved you, but I've realised what a terrible decision that was. It did nothing but hurt both of us. I'm sorry, and I didn't mean any of it. I just got too lonely."

"It's okay, Pete," I said. "I love you too."

"Will you go out with me again?" Pete asked.

"Of course I will," I said.

Joe smiled. "You two are so cute together," he said.

"Thanks," Pete said as he leaned over the table to give me a peck on the lips. Even after only a week, I missed the feeling of Pete's lips on mine.

"You weren't with anyone else though, right?" I asked.

"I made out with Gabe Saporta once during a game of Seven Minutes in Heaven in fourth year," Pete said. "Does that count?"

"That was before we got together, so no," I said. "Besides, it's Gabe Saporta. He's probably made out with most of the school by now. He's been trying to flirt with me during Defence Against The Dark Arts, but frankly, I'm not interested. I have you."

"I would never be interested in anyone else either," Pete said. "You're too adorable for that, especially in that red sweater of yours."

"It does look good on you," Joe commented.

"Spencer, is it okay if we switch seats?" Pete asked. "I want to be next to Patrick."

"That's fine," Spencer said. He spontaneously disappeared and then reappeared right behind Pete. "That's pretty odd. They should have put the Anti-Disapparition Jinx back in place after the Apparition lesson yesterday. I should talk to Professor McGonagall about that."

Spencer left to talk to Professor McGonagall, while Pete walked around the table and took his spot. Almost immediately, he started cuddling with me. "You're so cozy, Trick," Pete mumbled as he leaned against me. He then reached up, stole my fedora, and put it on his head.

"Give that back," I said. I didn't appreciate other people touching my fedoras.

"No," Pete said.

"Accio fedora," I said, and the hat flew right into my hands. I then placed it on my head.

"I hate that charm sometimes," Pete said.

"It's surprisingly useful," I said. I took a few more bites of my dinner and then continued to chat with Pete and the other Gryffindors. It was nice to be a part of their group again, even if it was only for a little while.

Unfortunately, the night fell with gravity, and I had to go to bed. "I have to leave," I told Pete, giving him a nice, long goodnight kiss. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Are you sure I can't come with you?" Pete asked.

"I have to go to bed," I said. "It's late."

"We could stay up later, but I know you need your beauty sleep. So long and goodnight, my Sophomore Stump," Pete said. I laughed and waved to him before heading down the corridor to the Hufflepuff Common Room. I couldn't believe my luck. Pete and I were finally back together again, and despite the horrors that were going on in the outside world, life at Hogwarts couldn't have been better. My life was piecing itself together, even while the wizarding world was falling apart.

Nevertheless, Gerard was still in prison. That was something that I couldn't simply ignore. Somehow, we needed to get him out, but I didn't know how. However, with Pete's help, I knew that I could come up with something.

It seemed as if nothing in the whole world could stop us now.