Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

The week of her single release, Fallon had mistakenly hoped that things would be normal. With Cheryl gone, there was no one to buffer the awkwardness between Fallon and Christopher. Fallon had hoped he’d get over it…but even though he didn’t show his hurt…the feeling crackled between them. Fallon was at a loss on how to deal with the complications that had come with Christopher telling her his feelings.

Being a runner hadn’t helped Fallon one bit. She was never one to deal with her feelings when she could help it…her usual take had been to run from them. These days it seemed she would have to change that habit…and soon.

Even though Christopher had not been avoiding Fallon, she still felt as though he was going out of his way to be unavailable for her. Hoping that things were alright between them, Fallon would call and ask if he wanted to hang out or watch a movie…most of the time Christopher would tell her he had plans for the evening with his friends. The only time he had agreed to hang out with Fallon…had been too tell her something.

It had been Tuesday, two days before the single release. Christopher had finally agreed to eat dinner with Fallon. Fallon had been more than happy. She had been a little bit lonely since Cheryl had gone…even if it had only been a day…Fallon had gone out for dinner by her lonesome the night before. Although usually she cooked for herself…

As they were eating the food she had prepared, Christopher told Fallon why he had agreed to come.

“Fallon, I’m going away for two weeks. A couple of friends from work and I are going on a road trip. We’ll get some camping done, and you know, breathe in some fresh country air.” He told her. She could see he was excited.

“That sounds great. So when are you going?” She asked him. “We’re leaving tomorrow morning.” He told her, as he said this he seemed to be interested in watching her.

Fallon had to mask her face. She knew if he saw her face fall about this…there was no telling what he would think or say.

“So you’re going to leave before the single release?” She asked him, in the same voice. “It’s the best time. Not a lot of people leave during this time…so we’ll get good spots for camp.” He told her. “Besides, you’ll be fine on Thursday. I know you can handle the release on your own.” He said, trying to get a rise out of her.

“Alright, well I hope you enjoy yourself.” She said, trying to mean it. “I will, don’t worry. Just make sure you keep a check on the track.” He told her, still watching her carefully. She got up from the dinner table to get some drinks. They were eating lasagna, which she had made. She decided to bring out the Coca-Cola; since she was craving it…hoping it would drown the words she was itching to say.

“Why? Do I need to check up on the track?” Fallon had noticed the sudden change in subject. It seemed he was going to wait out her mask…like he was hoping she would crack. “Well I know you’re going to be there anyway, but since the big race we’ve had a few people try to climb the fence. So my brothers and I hired a few security guards to watch the perimeter along with the house. The card reader still works, so you can enter. The guards also know to expect you at all times of the night. They’ll keep you updated if there are any more people who decide to try the fence.” He told her, with a little grin. Fallon didn’t say anything as she sipped from her glass.

Her calm façade was cracking as the minutes passed; she needed to know why he was leaving so suddenly. It wasn’t like him…at least he wouldn’t have pulled this on her before. As they ate quietly, Fallon tried to phrase the question in a way that would seem as though she didn’t care…but she couldn’t. The carbonated drink wasn’t exactly helping her.