Chapter Forty One

Chapter Forty One

Fallon couldn’t believe she was actually going to go through with this. She still was in awe that Cheryl had done this without knowing that Fallon had wanted the same thing.

August had come with much anticipation on Fallon’s part. The second week had been going far too slowly for Fallon’s liking. With the tour over, Fallon had finally decided to go to a Manchester United game. The funny part was that Cheryl had gotten season tickets without her knowing…and there were passes for them to go meet the players.

Once Fallon had seen this, she did not want to go through with it. It took a few days of major convincing on Cheryl’s part until Fallon relented. She may have wanted to go see a game…but meeting the players had not been on her list to do…as much as she had wanted to see Daniel…maybe it was better not to open old wounds? What if Miguel had been stringing her along? He hadn’t exactly cared what happened to her the first time…so why would he care now?

A whole new set of possibilities started to pop into Fallon’s mind. Miguel might have been conspiring against her…but sometimes even Fallon felt as though part of her was conspiratorial against her good kinder self.

Fallon sighed heavily once more. She was sitting on the steps waiting for Cheryl. They would be going together…but separately. Fallon would go home after the game, while Cheryl had to go to Lively! to finish some paper work.

Fallon had chosen to wear her ‘Ronaldo’ jersey along with black capris and a Manchester United scarf and hat. It was too warm to wear sneakers so she wore her favorite black ballet style flats. Fallon could feel the butterflies in her stomach, her nerves were killing her.

Today Manchester United would be facing Inter Milan. It was going to be an exciting exhibition match. Fallon’s feelings had been split into two. One part of her was nervous about the possibility of her meeting Daniel…the other part of her was excited to be watching the match.

“Cheryl! Anytime before I’m fifty!” Fallon called into the house. Cheryl had been taking her sweet time getting ready. The match was due to start at 6:30pm. It was already 5:25pm. “I’m coming! Let me just get my bag.” Cheryl called back. Fallon sighed…Cheryl and her huge bag were inseparable. Fallon got up to check her pockets, making sure she had her wallet, cell phone, and keys. Cheryl would always remark how un-lady like that was. Fallon just didn’t heed her words. At least she got ready faster than Cheryl most of the time.

Annoyed Fallon called out again. “You know by the time we get there, we won’t be able to find any parking.” She said. Cheryl came out at that moment. “Okay, I’m here. Let’s go.” She said, Cheryl locked the door and checked it. The two of them headed for their cars and left for Old Trafford.

Once they arrived, it took Fallon and Cheryl some time to find their seats. It was worth it in the end. They had an excellent view of the pitch, and the distance wasn’t too bad either.

“We have these for the entire season?” Fallon asked in awe. “Yep…get used to it.” Cheryl replied. “How did you get these?” Fallon asked in amusement. “You know how the club and the players have a deal with us? Well this was included. My parents and Keith have tickets as well. My parents probably won’t use them as much, so we can probably bring along Chris and William.” Cheryl told her, as they settled in for the game.

It felt as though no time had passed while Cheryl and Fallon talked. Soon the players were coming out from the tunnel in two separate lines. Manchester United players were wearing their home shirts, while Inter Milan players were wearing their away shirts.

Fallon looked for the number 27 shirt. Most of the players she liked were playing. Ronaldo, Vidic, Nani, Giggs, and Van der Sar to name a few; were all on the field. The captains of both teams shook hands before the coin flip. Inter Milan would get the ball. Fallon watched but still couldn’t find Daniel, not until Cheryl pointed him out.