friends? • tom x logan

"Faggot!"

My back hit a locker as Logan pushed me harshly against it, getting close to my face. He was smirking, he enjoyed this. "Haven't killed yourself yet I see?" he said mockingly. I didn't answer, but kept glancing into his grey emotionless eyes. He seemed to get mad. "I said-,"

Small hands grabbed him and pulled him away from me. Logan stumbled before glancing at the girl in front of him with angry eyes. "Bitch," he spat. Melanie chuckled and said, "Stay away from him." Logan and his friends laughed. "What're you gonna do, huh?"

Melanie didn't blink as she said, "I'm gonna tell everyone your little secret. You know, the one you told me ages ago when we were friends. Unlike now. So I suggest you leave."

Logan paled. "You wouldn't."

"Oh, but I would."

Without another word, Logan walked away. Melanie turned to me, worried. "You okay?" I nodded and asked, "What secret?"

Melanie smiled slightly. "You'll find out soon enough. I bet Logan's gonna accept it and do something about it. He's an ass, I know. But we all used to be friends, we know how he was before..."

She was right, he used to be nice to us. We all met in eighth grade, and clicked instantly. We would always tell each other anything anytime. We trusted each other. So when I came out as gay to them, Melanie hugged me, but Logan... I still remember his face.

Disgust.

Anger.

But also sadness.

He never talked to us again.

***

"Okay, you'll be paired up. Make a presentation about homosexuality. Challenges for them and so on."

I crossed my fingers mentally and silently prayed.

"So, Katherine and Stephanie. Olivia and Marcus. Ben and Percy. Paul and Sally. And..."

What? There were still three students left. Maybe Logan had to work alone to prove that he was actually useable. Eric was the third student. He was a nerd, pimples, glasses, and his style...

I didn't look any better myself. Pale, blue dyed hair, lip piercing, short, emo. Yeah...

But right now I didn't care. Just not Logan... "I swear, I wrote it down somewhere..." Ms Williams said as she looked through her papers. "Ah, here it is. Eric, you'll just do this alone, your grades are always A's so... Logan and Tom."

"What?!" I exclaimed, and whipped my head around to see Logan's reaction. He sat on his phone with ear buds, music blasting from them. Marcus, who sat beside him, elbowed him. Logan, took out an ear bud and gave him a questioning look. "Logan, you're paired up with Tom," Ms Williams said. "On what?" he asked. "Making a presentation about homosexuality. Challenges and so on..." Logan's eyes met mine and I turned away.

***

Kill me now. We were walking to my house, because for some reason Logan didn't want to be at his. I opened the front door and went inside, Logan followed and shut the door.

"Tom, is that you?" Mom came out in the hall. "Oh, Logan! It's been so long!" She then gave Logan a hug and smiled when she pulled away. She had no idea. "Hey, Mrs Arrington." Mom hit his shoulder. "How many times have I told you to call me Melissa? Why's it been so long?" Logan's eyes met mine for a second. "He has just plans all the time, we barely have time to hang out.." I said, and mom looked confused.

"Last time I saw him was when you were thirteen, it's been three years..." I grabbed Logan's arm and he flinched. I ignored it and pulled him downstairs to my room. I ignored my Mom when she said something, and shoved him into my room. I shut the door and turned to face him.

"Okay, I want answers. You call me words, you tell me to go kill myself. You hit me, kick me, slap me, whatever. Why? Why do you do it? What's so wrong with being gay?"

Logan had his eyes on the floor while I spoke, but now he met mine. "I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"I..."

I rolled my eyes. "If you can't say it, write it. Or I don't know."

Logan took a step forward, and backed me up agaisnt the door. He was standing pretty close, like, dude, have you even heard of personal space. He was angry, I could tell. But there was tears in his eyes. He had a hand on my chest and the other on the door beside my head. "What are you-!"

He cut me off by pressing his lips on mine. My eyes widened and I tried to push him away, but he just kissed me harder. I put my arms on his chest and tried to shove him back, but he grabbed them with the hand that was on my chest and pinned them above my head. "Hmpf!" But he didn't let go.

What the fuck happened to the homophobic bully? What?

Someone. Help. Me. Understand.

Logan pulled away and opened his eyes, looking straight into mine. His breathing was shaky, and he looked scared. "I'm sorry..." He repeated. "I'm gay, I'll admit it to you, and I finally learned to accept it. My dad never did. When I told him in eight grade he told me to never say that again. He told me I was gonna get a wife, children. He would punch me everyday, he sent me to therapy... He stopped though, once I got questions about my bruises from worried teachers. He said he didn't know how I got them, and I just played along. But now. I don't care what he'll say. I knew if Mom were still alive she would've been proud, because she loved me no matter what. So I did all those things to you because I was scared, mad you were accepted by someone. I did tell Melanie before I told my Dad, and she promised not to tell you..." He took a deep breath. "I'm apologizing to you now, I'm sorry. I wish I could take all that back, I wish I never did any of it. And I hope you'll forget what I did, or at least try to forget me if you won't forgive me... Because I want to be your friend, but if you don't want to..."

There was tears in his eyes, some running down his cheeks. Now I understood everything.

It was like flashbacks going through my mind. Logan, Melanie and I laughing. Them whispering to each other when I sat by them. Logan looking at me in disgust. Logan showing up to school with bruises and cuts. Logan crying behind school, not knowing I was there. In class, our eyes met. Logan when he was angry. How he didn't want us to go to his place. When he kissed me... How he was crying now.

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him closer. He wrapped his arms around me too. "I forgive you, I do.." This made him hug me harder, and I felt him smile.

"Friends?" he asked.

"Friends," I said.

hope you liked it x3