my brother's best friend • owen x dylan

"Baby we built this house, on memories. Take my picture now, shake it til you see it. And when your fantasies, become your legacy. Promise me a place, in your house of memories..."

We've been in the car for two hours straight, and my younger brother, Nico, and his best friend, Dylan, had done nothing else but to sing. For two hours straight. Dad was driving, Mom was in the passenger seat, Dylan sat in the middle since he was the shortest, and Nico and I on either side of him. Yay...

You have fifteen year old Nico, who sings but can't sing. It sounds terrible, but he thinks he can. Then you have fifteen year old Dylan who actually can sing, but thinks he can't. Then you have seventeen year old me, can't sing, won't sing.

"I think of you from time to time-!"

"WILL YOU SHUT UP!" I exclaimed, making Dad almost loose the steering wheel, and Mom jumped, and the two shit heads turned quiet.

"What the hell, Owen?!" Dad shouted, glaring at me in the mirror.

"Well none of you were saying anything!"

"You still have to spend three hours in this car with them, so get used to it!"

I rolled my eyes, leaned my head back, and closed them.

The volume of the radio was turned up again, but this time none of them sang. Finally, peace and quiet.

I opened my eyes slightly, glanced at the two (Nico looking out of the window, Dylan with his eyes closed), before closing my eyes again.

I felt myself drift off when something leaned on my shoulder. When I saw it was only Dylan, asleep, I closed my eyes again. Dylan snuggled up against me, one of his hands on my thigh.

"Aww, look at them!" Mom suddenly said, and I felt her eyes on us. "Aren't they adorable?"

"Very..." I heard Nico say, clearly uninterested.

"What's wrong, Nico?" Mom asked.

"Nothing..."

And that was the end of that conversation, and before I knew it, I'd fallen asleep.

***

Someone shook my shoulder, making me open my eyes. I met a pair of blue bright eyes, Dylan's. "Jesus, I thought you weren't gonna wake up. We're here," Dylan said, and I glaced out the window to see a wooden cabin. "That's ugly," I said, glaring in disgust at the old thing where I was going to spend the next two weeks in...

"Yeah, wait 'til you see the inside..."

It was quiet, I noticed we were alone in the car. Alone in the car... Okay, don't be creepy, Owen. He's fucking fifteen! He was still looking at me, sitting beside me.

We stared into each others eyes, did Dylan lean closer? When did he get so close? He just got closer and closer. I had no control over myself and leaned close too. I heard his breath hitch and I became nervous. What was I doing?

A hand was suddenly on my cheek, unbelieveably and Dylan cocked his head. There was only an inch between us.

A firm, loud knock was heard at the car window behind me, and I pushed Dylan away, twisting my body around to see Nico standing there with an unimpressed expression, he was looking at Dylan, and I heard Dylan gulp.

I wanted to just hug and hold Dylan, tell him that everything was going to be okay. Because I knew how Nico could be when he was angry, and I knew how nervous, shy and insecure Dylan was. And if you saw your best friend and your sibling about to kiss, how would you feel?