1. Home

Annabeth's POV

Percy was staring at me like if I just turned to an Empusai myself. How could he not, honestly? Nico ran back to Will and I just stood there, bubbling with a senseless fit of laughter. The kid had just confessed his love to him and I... I had enough. Enough of stress, nightmares, fighting to stay alive, enough of everything. What I didn't expect was another anonymous secret lover of Percy's.
"You, you knew about that?" Percy started gasping for air. "I- I never- I- How? Why?"
It made sense now why Nico never particularly loved me before. The confusion on Percy's face and all circumstances had me spiraling. It was perfect. Just another normal day for me and my boyfriend. Nico in love with Percy... It sounded so awfully mundane and absurd to me by now that it was the most normal teenager thing that had happened this last few years.
"Of course not, Seaweed brain!" I burst out laughing. "Wouldn't be standing in the way if I did know about that..." I wheezed, catching my stomach that started to hurt from all the strain. Maybe I wasn't as fine as I thought. And then suddenly Percy seemed even more confused. If that was still possible. His sea green eyes sparkled like every time he couldn't remember something, what the monster attacking him was called, for example. Fairly enough, by now we had 90% of them nicknamed already. He stared at me, his perfect face asking for some explanation.
"I'm not laughing at Nico, for starters. It's completely fine that he's gay. I'm just... I can't even get jealous anymore. And I was so ridiculously jealous of Rachel as you could probably tell."
Truthfully, I had no idea about dealing with stuff like that, complicated feelings and all. Everything was just natural in my relationship with Percy. Other relations? Nada. It'd be more fruitful to ask Grover.
"Come on," I grabbed his hand.
We just walked in silence for a while, or at least as silent as me trying not to chuckle at my own madness and Percy pushing me lightly to calm down could be.
"I'm sorry I'm laughing."
"I'm happy you are."
My whole body shivered the moment our lips met. This was my light in the dark. All the glances and forehead kisses, the closeness we found and the way we could make the rest of the world feel so small
"Don't ever leave me again," I blurted out silently, just against his lips. The morning we searched the whole camp to no vain came back. Trading kisses the night before, turning New York upside down the next because he was gone. Tears were threatening my eyes suddenly.
"Oh gods-" I smirked. "Hot mess S.R.O. coming right up-" I pulled it together with a sniff. "What I wanted to say is don't you dare disappear again. What with all that's going on... You're kinda the only reason I'm keeping it sane Percy, if we're being honest."
Percy locked his eyes with mine as he lifted me up. I wrapped my legs around his waist. Nobody was really up at this time, it was way too soon in such early morning. Not much sleep for those that never left the battlefield.
"Are you really sane though?" Percy snickered right face to face with me. "Am I?"
I glared at him with a pinch of a humor in my reaction and he ticked his eyes a few times to play it out.
"Come on-"
"Would we go Dionisus cursed us crazy or dark side crazy? Picture you, Black widow style... I bet the camp monsters would rather dig their way to Tartarus than fight." Percy held his breath and closed his eyes and I almost choked a little when he said the word. I didn't really process much yet, neither did he. There was no time.
"You okay? I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry." Percy put me down and hugged me.
"That's okay, Seaweed brain, we can't tiptoe around Tartarus forever. People are going to ask sooner or later. It's all- you know."
He knew what I meant. The fall, monsters, Tartarus himself, the curses, having to leave Damasen and Bob behind. I remembered us crying the first time we saw the stars. That evening... And now- We've been back in camp for 2 days already and I haven't been in Athena's cabin for more than taking my clothes time yet. Not at all... I stayed with Percy. It was against the rules but nobody noticed yet. Though I couldn't care less even if they did. Camp rules seemed stupidly small now, everything was different. That was the one thing I enjoyed out in the world, or at least once we were out of the hell... There was no one to inflict their camp policies. And Hedge was still pretty cool.
At least I didn't have to talk to my siblings. They wouldn't treat me like before this all, not ever again. Or I though so. I knew that I was a kind of a heroine in their eyes, for the whole mark of Athena quest and, of course, surviving Tartarus... And this time I couldn't enjoy the admiration. I couldn't accept the pride. The younger kids wouldn't stop asking for sure and I just wasn't ready. Not after Leo anyway.
Everyone would forget me and the whole seven sooner or later but for now Malcolm told the rest of my siblings to keep quiet about me sleeping "somewhere else" and I was grateful. Though I could tell he was not happy at all about his sister sleeping in a private cabin with her very close significant other. My brother wasn't stupid though, he still realized I'd kick his ass if he snitched.
Percy opened the door of his cabin and let me in first. 
"What a gentleman," I said. 
He stuck his tongue out at me, confirming how childish he could still be, sometimes... It made me smile and return the gesture. 
I sat down on his bunk, feeling his arms around me as he jumped onto the bed from the other side. His head rested on my shoulder
"To go back to it. I- am never- ever- going to- leave you," he said between the soft kisses that started on my neck and traced up to my lips, my hand pulling him just a little closer.
"Do you understand Annabeth? I don't care about anything else." He smiled. Then his mind wondered a little deeper. "And well, our friends too. And mom and Paul but you know how I mean saying this." He rolled his eyes a little, trying to keep on track with his talk. "I care about others, but you just stand out."
I couldn't help myself but laugh. "What? I confess that you're the one who matters the most to me and you laugh?" Percy's eyes sparkled as he smirked out of sudden. "You're really not gonna make it easy for me."
He surprised me with that, he remembered what I told him ages ago but forgot about our one month anniversary... Though it was the best first anniversary ever, even with the whole titan theft chase. It was so hilarious to think I was mad at him about such thing.
"I get you," I laughed out. "I know the way I care about you too, you know, and I understand it is different from the way you love your family." I admitted it without adding that no, I couldn't exactly know that deep love to your parent by now. That I only had all of the camp and some kids closer than others, one or two outsiders and his parents. "You're such a dummy!" I topped the awkwardness off.
"What did you say?"
He moved to tickle my sides and gods I shouldn't have ever let him know that that was my breaking point. But such time, so many years, that gave everything away.
"Stop it Perseus," I laughed out, squirming and kicking around. "I'm gonna eat your not so secret stash of candy when you sleep!" I shouted, laughing uncontrollably. "I'll eat everything that's blue and sour and you know I'm not kidding!" 
"You wouldn't."
"Oh, I would-"
Percy put his hands up in defeat. "That's not fair, Wise girl!" He whined, scooting away. And I couldn't help myself but think how cute he was like that and of the vulnerability no one probably saw in him but me. I leaned on his bed so that I'd face him properly. Those ocean eyes... I wished I could paint in such wonderful colors. I wished... "I swear on river Styx that I will never, ever, leave you Annabeth Chase. Not now and not when you're finally a Jackson and we can't decide the colors to paint our rooms or the type of couch we want."
"What?" I whispered. "You just swore on the Styx Percy- Jackson you say?" I smiled. A year ago I'd tell him how crazy that would be and I'd banish that idea completely... Now again, the rules of normal seemed rather laughable.
If you broke a promise sworn on river Styx, it always hunted you down to bite your ass, in one way or the other. It was idiotic to make those promises if you didn't intend to keep them.
"I swear that by river Styx too Percy Jacks-"
He leaned closer and kissed me. Passionately and so carefully to tell me that I was the most precious thing in the whole wide world. The sounds of thunder cut through the silence and confirmed our vows. I'd say it a hundred times because in a world without Percy, my heart would be a vast desert. I closed my eyes, drowning in his touches.
I let out a silent gasp as his hands trailed up my stomach, running down my hips. His fingers were so cold on my skin. I bit my hand to stop further outbursts, my heart rate sped up. No one could come now, I hoped.
"Hey," Percy propped himself up a little to pull the hand away. He almost laughed. "I couldn't do this then, could I?" He slowly went for my lips, so gently I wanted to beg him to press his mouth to mine harder.
I arched my back against his body, feeling better with his weight resting on mine. I pulled him back down with me.
My mother would kill us. The camp prohibited two campers alone in a cabin.
"If we get caught this time... My mother-" The careless thought escaped my lips breathlessly.
Percy stiffened and stared at me, completely dumbstruck. "You manage thinking of your mother right now? I must be terrible at this." 
"Oh no, don't-"
He settled down on his side before I could finish, facing me.
"I was about to say don't stop but okay," I laughed out.
"I love you."
"I love you- too."
The words escaped our lips at the same time, perfectly synced, I thought. Now we could finally start wearing matching clothes too.
'If lost please return to Annabeth'
'I'm Annabeth'
"So I'm not an awful kisser?" Percy asked, trying hard not to grin. I considered his intentions, was he joking? And how would I know if I only ever kissed his lips.
"Average." I blinked at him. "I love you the most Seaweed brain, there's no one else I could imagine all this with."
"Preach that! I think it's a curse or something, my awesomeness, I mean."
"You wish." I poked his shoulder playfully.
"Oww!"
"Stop being such a crybaby, you were asking for this." I moved closer to him to lay my head on his chest. "Honestly, this moment should last forever, you know, just the two of us and nothing else." I said, grateful for any moment we had alone. I wasn't wasting a minute after what happened last time. No.
Percy just pulled me closer.
We shared the silence for quite a while. And then we talked... About the happier sort and our plans. I admitted that I'd never return to my father again, but pressed on Percy. It was way overdue for him to go to his mom.
"About my mom... She knows I'm alive at least. I want to see her but it's- it's another person I have to explain everything to. Which reminds me of school. We're going to Goode now aren't we?" Percy asked. "I really want to- if not only to be with you all the time Annabeth, but I need at least this last year to be able to pass college."
"Yeah you do, you've spent more time out of school than in it this year." I laughed.
"You think that we can both make it through? One whole year without getting kicked out?" 
It was so close to me when Percy got serious, to everyone he showed his humorous side only, if he could. Now he stared at me with those gorgeous eyes and scrunched up eyebrows... He truly seemed to care about it. He did.
I tried to kiss him, to blow the worries  away... But he got possessed by who knows what and tried to lick my face. I flinched, almost dropping off the bed.
"No!" I was full on laughing again. "You're gross dude."
"I can see it now. Not if we're like this in the school too," Percy agreed.
"But we have to try." And one of the reasons we better cut straight As, or at least grades below C and including, was my mother. "We'll make it work." I said more seriously. "Just don't lick my face in the hallways you weirdo."
"What could go wrong, I mean?" Percy asked cheekily.
"Oh, I don't know... Maybe that you're the greatest known troublemaker every school refuses to accept?" I grinned. 
"Half of it wasn't my fault," Percy pointed out casually.
"I know. I was talking about the half that was mister sassy pants," I smiled. I'd never leave his side ever again.
The camp horns blared to wake up the late sleepers. I'd have checked the time before but Percy's clock was dead... Just like my will to live, he claimed last night. 
We walked to the dining hall then, hand in hand, and sat at Poseidon's table where Jason and Piper were already waiting for us. We were causing a little revolt, cabin members were supposed to sit together, but no one really said a word.
All the Romans left with Tyson, Hazel and Frank. So without Nico, who had a 'doctor's note' to stay in the infirmary, it was just the 4 of us left. And I hated that Leo wasn't here. I swore that if he appeared right now I'd kill him myself, just a little. It was so stupid of him to take the burden on himself and sacrifice his life. Even if it helped save us all and practically this whole planet... It wasn't a 15 year old's burden to take on.
I looked around to see a bunch of downcast kids sitting at the Hephaestus table, Harley was fiddling with some kind of device that was supposed to contact Leo, I said I'd help him but he was the best person for it, however small. But simply sadly, there was no Leo provoking other kids anywhere. From the looks of my friends and Percy's face I knew they were thinking roughly of the exact same thing.
He was not coming to sit with us. Not today and not- he would eventually.
We all greeted each other in a chorus.
Piper and I started eating our breakfasts quickly while Percy and Jason made fun of each other for something. We sat closer with Piper. "How did you sleep Chase?"
My face must have turned red, it was that tragically clear.
"Quite crappy, actually," I whispered ignoring her real question. "Don't understand this the wrong way, but we don't do much of that. Lamplight on and all. The dark doesn't sit with us well right now.
"I'm sorry."
"It's okay Piper, we can handle it. Somehow... We will."
"If anyone gets a pass..." Piper said, more seriously this time. I got the feeling that she didn't really know what to tell me about after what's happened.
"Piper just tell me what you want to tell me. I can read you like a book."
"We sat on the roof of his cabin late last night and- It was so nice, just being back here. I'll tell you everything later... Anyway, I couldn't help myself but wonder how much I like him, or if I'm in love," she said dreamily. "But I don't think that Drew would let me get away with that. She'd run to Chiron the second she'd figure out I was awol for enough funny time." Piper frowned towards her table.
"Funny time?" I almost choked on my food. "What the hell, McLean," I bit my cheek, preparing to laugh. It was adorable to see a couple in the making, there was something comical about the stage they were in. Unsure yet close...
I took the opportunity to steal a piece of her breakfast, winning this time.
"And don't tell me Jason's the bad boy breaking the rules now, or has he been the whole time?"
We laughed, bickering, until Jason and Percy started staring at us.
Once we were done, Jason and piper cleaning their plates and me and Percy making sure the other's intake was at least sufficient enough, we headed out for a walk.
"What are you two doing after summer anyway?" Percy asked on the way to the lake.
Jason looked at Piper and she grinned. "Fine, I'll say it... We thought that we could, well, join you two at Goode. My dad always sent me to boarding schools anyway, and honestly I'm used to that peace of mind in freedom, and Jason can decide what he's gonna do, with Chiron I guess, Thalia's like his age now. Technically."
"What do you think?" Jason asked. "I'm gonna miss Jupiter but this is much more- I just feel better here." He breathed out and laughed awkwardly, as if we had the power to say no and send him back.
"It's gonna be the best year Piper!" I smiled, hugging the girl while Percy and Jason fist bumped calmly.
I heard 'bro' a few time so I guessed Percy was glad too.
This year could turn out really special. Hopefully in a good way for the first time. If only Leo were here with us, he belonged. Nico said he felt him die but even Hazel agreed that it was weird... I still had hope. And if I was guessing right he could as easily be chilling on a beach in Hawaii, drinking Pina-coladas on a stop back.
"Who wants to race to the boats?" Percy smirked, already running towards the pier. Would it be my seaweed brain if he didn't do something funny? No, he tripped and we all ran past him, skipping, not to pile up on his back. But he tripped my foot on the last second and I fell next to him.
"Gotcha!" Percy wheezed, out of breath.
"I think I broke a few ribs," I laughed. 
And then we dragged ourselves to the infirmary, deciding it was the right time to get a post Tartarus check-up, to find Nico playing Mythomagic with Will, smiling and as happy as could be, all things considered.

-Vendy