chapter 6

Red. That's all Thats visible. Red hot pain coursing through my veins. It was the third injection. Two more to go. Have to be strong.

I'm worried, Fury said for sure that he would save us. after all we were his recruits. It's been 9 months, 2 weeks. But I am just paranoid. He will surely come. We have to hold on till then. He will come. He will come.
Another injection and I scream. Last one.

--------------------------------------------

"Unless you have information, there better be a damn good reason as to why you are standing at my door at midnight. You have 5 seconds. "

"She's a monster. "

"James, how much have you had to drink? I told you... "

"I'm not drunk! I need to tell you this, sheriff . Let me in. "

The older man sighed and nodded, "Come on in son."

The house smelt of detergent and cooking.

"Is Margaret sleeping?"

"Yes, I'd like to keep it that way."

They sat at the table, while James removed his case file.

"Ok, this is going to seem improbable, but I know it is true. Please, listen till the end. "

"Fine, go one. "

"Right, so the first murder was ordinary, the man was knifed and the knife was found near him. As were the seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth murder. However, we were stumped at the rest of them."

"Yes, the murder weapon was found far away and the prints were of the men themselves. "

"Exactly, today when I was observing the stone girl. I saw a man walk up to her in an alleyway. He looked to be a mugger or a robber. She turned and said something to him. And the knife was dropped from his hand. And then, he flew ten feet across the alley. "

"What? Are you joking? She threw him that far? "

"That's just it. She never touched him. He was far away from the knife, yet it had only his finger prints. Because she never touched it."

"That's impossible. "

"I knew you wouldn't believe it. So I want to test her out. "

-----------------------------------------------

It's been a year. Fury hasn't come yet. I keep telling Peter to be patient. He seems to lose hope. We all are losing hope. We are Children, after all. Well, except John, he is 23. He
Doesn't talk anymore. Not many of us do.

It's getting harder to retain memories. It's getting more painful. I finished my turn today. It was Annie's turn. She is as old as me. Her powers are unique. We call her mermaid. On land she would look like a normal teen. But once she went underwater, she would form gills and a tail. She looked graceful though. She always had a smile on her face. I miss her and her beautiful smile. Her screams, in stark contrast ,are the only thing I hear now.

"Hello dear, how do you feel?"

It's our caretaker. She makes sure that we don't die.

I look at her with a blank expression and look back down at my bare feet.

"Now dear, I have told you before not to ignore me.", She bends down near my ear and whispers, " wouldn't want the collar would you?"

I let out a whimper. "no"

" there, there, cooperation sweet heart that's all I want."

At that moment a guard enters and talks in hushed tones to her. Her face darkens and she tells him to get out in a stern time. She looks at me as I sit in the ground.she bends down and places a hand on my knee.
"Sweetheart, looks like Annie didn't make it through after all. "

I nod and whimper as a single tear falls across my cheek.
--------------------------------------------