chapter 9

"Hey capsicle,  so I was going through SHIELD  classified files." Tony says while ignoring Steve's  glare. "And I found this"

Steve takes the file from Tony's hand and flips through it. His expression changes as he reads on. He looks up at Tony expectantly,  to which Tony replies,  "found it. "

----------------------------------------------

"Will you have anything to eat officer?"

"No thanks, I am gonna come to the topic."

Officer James was sitting on the sofa while Beth sat across him on a chair and Loki stood in the corner.

"I believe it's 'come right to the point' " Beth says awkwardly.

"Right. So, I know,  Beth. "

Beth looked confused, "ummm... you know what? "

"About.... it. "

"And 'it' is...? "

"You know.. "

" I'm sorry, maybe it is just me.  But I am clueless as to what you want to say. Is it just me?  Coz I often kinda zone out
So tell me if I am missing anything."

Loki shakes his head she really talks too much.

"You have powers. "

"Powers? "

"Yes. I saw you flip that man last night. "

" the mugger?  Yes I pushed him away. That's what you do when you see a threat.  In sorry but why.. "

"No no. You didn't touch him. Come on Beth. Admit it. You're a freak with powers. "

At this Beth's face begins to show anger, " I'm sorry,  but apparently you are accusing me of having powers.. without proof? "

"Oh,  I'll get proof. I wanted you to fess up first. "

"In that case,  kindly leave. You do not have a right to talk to me without evidence."

With that she got up and walked towards the door as if telling him to go. James begins to  walks out.

"I'll be behind,  Beth. "

"Its actually, I'll be back. And no,  you won't be back. Goodbye. "

He walks out and she slams the door. Loki stands in the corner lazily.

"I have to get ready for work.I'll go by myself today"

------------------------------------------------

"So you're saying,  you hacked into SHIELD  confidential files about a case that was years ago,  instead of finding Loki who committed genocide?"

"Yes. You catch on fast. "

Fury glares at Tony and then looks at Steve,  as if waiting for an explanation.

"We found it." Steve says firmly.

Fury looks surprised, "is this true? "

"It is." Tony affirms with a smile.

Fury looks down and then turns to me, "agent hill,  get the plane ready. We have a job to do."

I nod.

---------------------------------------------

The day was tiring,  mostly because I was scared. This town was the only hope I had. This stupid James,  had to go ruin it all. James had been quite friendly, since the day we met. He had a bad habit of mixing up common phrases.  I always found him to be a prick though.

I do hate this town. But shifting is hard. I don't want to have to build a life again from the ground up.

My train of rants has to wait because I have customers. I work around the whole day,  only once taking a break with Vanessa. However I am tense and always on alert.

The night ends and my nerves have somewhat calmed down. Vanessa left,  leaving me to lock up. Did i mention she's  lazy?

The door opens,  I look up from the counter to see who It is and become rigid immediately.

"Hey doll! "

"What is your  problem?  Just leave me alone. Why do you keep coming back?"  I ask angrily. That's when I look out and notice James' car is standing outside.  Then realization dawns on me. They're working together!  Those stupid little pieces of...

"Today is the last day doll,  I'm gonna... "

"What?  Gonna what?  Kill me?  Do it, you'll do me a favor" I say and get back to clearing the counter.

The man gets closer with a knife drawn out. I cannot fight him because if I do then nosy James will see the whole thing.  So I look back up at the guy as defiantly as possible. His smile looks positively bone chilling. Coco would not like him.

With a flick of the knife he slice my cheek and red liquid oozes out.  In shock, I hold my cheek and back away .

"Look,  I'm sorry ok. Please leave. I hurt you, you hurt me. We're even right? "

He smirks and crosses the counter, " not yet. "

He swings the knife,  which I barely miss and in the process I fall back on the ground. He lifts up his hand as if to strike and I lunge forward and push him at his midrib. He looses balance and falls back. Taking the opportunity I jump across the counter and run out. He slowly gets up . I look around. There aren't any witnesses,  except that car. James isn't gonna help. Why would they help me anyway?  I am so dumb. 

The guy opens the door. This scares me into running,  and I run without looking back. The adrenaline keeping me going. I don't know how long I run for but, I run and run until I reach the familiar forest road that leads to my home.

I turn to see if he is following me and instead see the headlights  of a familiar car. Oh fudge.  I begin to run again and as the car comes closer I swerve in to the forest. Sweat covers me as I pant. The edges of my vision begin to dim, I was running too long. However, I know this forest like the back of my hand and am confident of finding my way. I hear the car stop and the doors bang. They're on foot. I can hear their footsteps.

I keep running on an alternative path which leads to my house. My legs are throbbing and my breath is ragged. I can feel myself growing weaker. No no no no nononono.

Finally I begin to  see the house I almost stop to take a  breath, however,  there footsteps are getting close and adrenaline kicks in again. I run even faster. Almost there,  almost there.  Run girl, run.

I finally am a few feet away from the back door.

"LOKI! Open the effing door. "

Loki immediately  opens the door and looks out confused.

"Beth?  What...? "

"Move" I tumble into the house almost falling on him and coco,  who is also anxious.

"Close the door,  close it. "

I pant and sit on the floor. Loki looks out the window. I join him and peep out.  James and the big guy are standing there. They slowly turn back and leave. I close the window and turn to see a confused Loki.

"How was the day?"

I smile, " perfect". and then collapse on the floor. My vision goes black.

--------------------------------------------

Oooh... what do you think Tony found?.. read to find out. (please read it would mean a lot!!)