chapter 23

"So any idea on how this happened? " Steve asked Breaking the silence.

She looked up at him with a blank look. He nodded and she turned back to staring at the wall. Annie was alive! She had attacked them and the Indian army was heading their way so Loki had to teleport them back to the plane.

"Well, they weren't friendly, so maybe they were brainwashed? " Tony asked.

They looked at Beth who was still staring at the wall. She suddenly tilted her head and looked at Tony.

"What is it love? " Loki asked.

"Wh.. where are the torture recordings? " she asked.

"Why? " Tony asked.

"I... shit.. " She whispered, "those sons of... "

"Language! " Steve warned

"We have them at the tower" tony said ripping his eyes at Steve , "we almost reached any way."

As soon as they reached she ran out the plane and into the hall.

"Jarvis play the recordings of the torture. Play Annie's "

"Which one? "

"When was it.. January? It was cold. Try January 10th or 12th. It was near Peter's birthday." She mumbled to herself.

The rest of the avengers caught up to her and stood confused.

"What are you doing? " Loki asked.

"They day she died. They tested if I was fireproof. " She said.

"I remember seeing that video" Natasha said with a shudder.

"Right. And they said she couldn't take it. But from what I remember she had this thick skin" she said spreading her fingers to show two inches.

" that thick? " tony asked skeptically.

"Yeah in her mermaid form. Since we were taken by HYDRA She was always in the mermaid form. "

" I found it" Jarvis said. The video began playing.

They saw a girl strapped on the table. A blowtorch was brought near her skin. She didn't even wince.

"The hell? " beth whispered, " Jarvis play the rest of them. "

The same happened for the rest. None of them were fazed by the fire.

"What the hell? " beth whispered.

"The encrypted file has been opened" Jarvis said.

"What encrypted file? " Beth asked looking at tony.

"There was a file in four of the drives that was encrypted. Play it Jarvis." Tony said.

"The fire only affected me. " Beth whispered to herself.

The file began to play. It showed a steel room. Annie sat in a chair. The caretaker walked in and sat across her. She handed her a file.

"Your first mission. " She said.
"Thank you." Annie replied and smiled.

"No no no no." Beth whispered. Annie was working for HYDRA?

"Are you sure Annie? " the caretaker whispered.

"Why wouldn't I be? Shield forgot us. I'm happy to work for Hydra if my side of the deal is kept. "

"Annabeth won't know." The caretaker nodded, " why didn't you want her to know?"

"She wouldn't approve. She was my best friend, I wouldn't want her to feel bad for me. If I die she will feel bad for a year and then forget about it."