Chapter Two

On the way back to the classroom from the toilet, I decided to head back to my dorm for the rest of the day as Mrs. Vandelmen's lesson was the last period. I didn't want to see any of those assholes. I'm sure Mrs. Vandelmen wouldn't mind me heading back early. I knew that she understood how I felt. So after grabbing my bag which attracted some attention, I gave Mrs. Vandelmen a shitty excuse before heading back to my dorm.
    Once I got back to my dorm, I laid on my bed, eyelids half opened. My lips parted as I stared at the plain white ceiling. I still wonder if I was ever getting a roommate whenever I stare at the empty bed across the room.
    I sighed and shook my head. Nobody would want to be my roommate . . . I thought.
    Just as I was about to drift off to sleep, I heard a knock. I groaned as I sat up on the bed, stretching before I went up to the door.
    Before my hand could even reach the doorknob, I stopped right as the person behind the door started talking.
    "Jesus Christ, open the goddamn door already. I don't have all day, nerd."
    Shit, I thought. It's Nate, isn't it? I kept cursing in my mind. I was just pondering about whether I was going to have a roommate not long ago but I didn't want this jerk as my roommate even though we kinda made up in the toilet!
    "What the hell do you want?" I asked with a glare after opening the door.
    "I was forced to be your roommate so it would be easier for you to tutor me," Nate replied, glaring back. "It's not that I want to be your roommate."
    I really wanted to slap him but I also wanted to slap myself. If only he would remember me, my life would be ten times easier! I wanted the old him back. I didn't want this idiot. Besides, I fell for him during elementary school and I couldn't get over this stupid crush even after he became such a big jerk.
    I gritted my teeth, causing Nate to flick my forehead.
    "What was that for!" I asked, rubbing my forehead irritatedly.
    "You don't have to look at me with that face."
    "Well, I want to! I don't want a retarded jerk like you as my roommate!"
    Slamming the door behind him, Nate slammed his palm on the wall above my head, face getting closer to mine and glare getting deeper. I was drenched in sweat, seeing the sharp glare on his face. I whimpered at his action with my eyes shut tightly as I faced another direction to avoid his eyes. Oh god, what happened to the cute kid who used to protect me from my bullies?
    Grabbing my chin and forcing me to look at him, I could feel his breath against my face. Our lips were almost touching. I blushed at how close our faces were. If I could just move a little closer, our lips would meet.
    "Don't mess with me, Davis," Nate snarled as he backed away with a glare.
    I was panting heavily as I hung my head low with a blush. I could tell that I was making a weird face at the moment, but I didn't care. Nate stared at me for a few moments before growling. Maybe it was just my imagination but I think I saw his cheeks grow a little pink.
    He threw his bag on the floor beside his new bed and sat on a chair near the study desk in a comfortable position. I looked at him with no expression before sighing and sitting on my bed.
    "So, when will the tutoring start?" Nate asked, rolling a pencil back and forth on the table with his index finger.
    "I'm thinking that we can start soon," I replied quietly, paying attention to the ground instead of making eye contact.
    It was honestly quite weird and bizzare talking to Nate like we were acquaintances because we never talked to each other without one of us scowling at the other or gritting our teeth like wild animals ready to hunt you down ever since I met him in high school.
    Without saying anything, I stared at Nate's action with a stoic expression. Nate noticed this but didn't say anything and stopped his movements all of a sudden. I raised a brow at him as he came closer to me. He then grabbed me by the wrist and pushed me into a wooden chair beside him. He took out some of his textbooks and dumped them on the table.
    "Let's start now . . ." His voice trailed off as he pushed his chair next to mine.
I looked at him with wide eyes. I nodded and turned to look at the textbooks and test papers he took out. To me, these were simple subjects that you could easily score a grade A for. But to Nate, it seemed like he was mostly getting a grade C or D—or even worse, a grade F.
    I sighed, taking my spectacles on the table, cleaning them before putting them on. I don't usually wear spectacles. I only wear them when I wanted to study or do my homework. So yes, I don't look like the typical nerd who walks around with glasses. I was known as a nerd because of my good grades. And I was always the highest in my level.
    Before I started talking. I looked at Nate and saw him staring at me, waiting patiently for me to start. He noticed me staring and raised a brow.
    "What?" he asked.
    I shook my head as a reply. It was really nerve-racking to tutor your bully in high school. You'll never know what they might do to you.
    I heaved a deep sigh and looked through all the test papers. He only had a few passes and majority of them were graded F. There were some questions that were left blank and incomplete. Oh boy, this was going to be a long day.
    Before I started speaking, I felt a large hand on my head, patting me and playing with my dark brown hair.
    "S-stop that," I said, blushing while avoiding eye contact.
    I didn't know why I wasn't smacking his hand away but the thing that was confusing me the most was that he was patting me as if we were good friends again.
    Nate then slid his hand down to my right cheek and caressed it lightly with a smirk. "You really are cute sometimes . . ."
    My eyes widened as I stared at him in shock. I felt as if everything froze right after I heard those words. Did he just called me cute? Did my own bully just called me cute? I must've heard it wrongly. No way did he called me cute—
    "Helloooo? Earth to Mr. Tutor," said Nate as he waved his hand in front of my face.
    I blinked several times and shook my head. What the hell?
    "Stop hitting on me already," I said with a small frown, pink still stained on my cheeks. But I never said I didn't like it.
    "And you really are gay, huh?" Nate said before smiling teasingly. "Chill, man. I'm just joking."
    I pouted at him. Nate looked at me with a smile that I have never seen for a quite a long time. I looked at him with a raised brow, and without asking him why he was smiling, he just responded on his own.
    "You know, I really don't want to bully you. I just started bullying you for . . ." he paused, "a certain reason. But if we can, can we try to get along?"
    My eyes widened at his sudden request. I felt really happy. Even though Nate doesn't remember me, he still wanted to get along with me. I also wanted to ask him what reason he had for bullying me as it seemed that he wasn't really homophobic, but I left that aside for now.
    "That would be great," I smiled.
    "Yeah? Let's reintroduce ourselves," Nate chuckled.
    I laughed softly and held out my hand with a soft smile. "Hi, I'm Jone Davis. Nice to meet you."
    Nate took my hand and shook it while chuckling. "Hey, Jone. I'm Nate Anderson." And that was the first ever time he called me by my name in high school . . .
   I was so glad to have him back . . .