Chapter Twenty

I looked at Nate, stunned. First of all, this was really unexpected. Second, they were my bullies. I didn't exactly remember a girl named Laura or a boy named Leo in my elementary school, but now that Nate mentioned their status, I kind of remembered that I used to be bullied by a boy and a girl. I couldn't remember their faces but they would make fun of me.
    Oh my god! Bro, look at him! He's so short! I'm even taller than him! The girl'd say as she'd point at me.
    Ew, why would you hug Nate? Gross. Guys don't hug each other! That's disgusting! The boy'd say as he'd look at me, disgust written all over his face.
I was so stunned that I forgot to ask Nate how he remembered them when he couldn't remember me. I could remember better, too, but maybe it was because when Nate left, all that's in my mind was Nate. Now that I think about it, I don't remember anyone from my elementary school at all, I thought.
    I sighed at the awful nostalgia I had. I didn't want them to bully me again. If Laura was actually the girl that made fun of my height during elementary school, she can't really say shit about my height now since I'm definitely taller than her. And if Leo was the boy who told me I was disgusting just because I hugged Nate, he won't really say anything now unless he finds out that we were secretly dating.
    I looked at Nate with hope in my eyes. "Maybe they've forgotten who we were. I mean, sure, we didn't change since then. But there's a chance that they've forgotten about us and turned a new leaf." I shrugged.
    We don't know that for sure, though . . . I thought.
    Nate looked at me, his expression now calm. "Okay. Maybe you're right. They just . . . forgot about us and started a new leaf or whatever. But for our safety—no—for your safety, stay away from them. We don't know if they remember us or not."
    "You be careful as well. Even if they continue bullying me, they might come after you."
    Nate smirked. "As if I'd let them touch you. If they even lay a finger on you, I'm punching both of them. Fuck the 'guys shouldn't punch girls' rule. I don't give a shit about Laura or what happens to her."
    A smile crawled onto my face as I chuckled. "Harsh. Maybe you really shouldn't punch Laura."
    "I can do whatever I want. If she even dare insult you, I'm gonna slap her."
    "Nate, don't do that," I chuckled.
    "Just watch me, babe. I can do whatever I want," Nate said with a devilish grin. "You're not my mom."
    I laughed, shaking my head. "I might not be your mom but I'm your boyfriend." I wrapped my arms around Nate's neck as I leaned my body against his. "You should listen to your boyfriend."
    He chuckled, wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me closer. "Should I? What if we were in the middle of having s—"
    I used one hand to cover his mouth with a playful frown. I knew what he was going to say. If we were in the middle of having you-know-what and if I begged him to stop, he wouldn't listen to me. I got that.
    "Nate, don't talk about that. Stop being such a pervert, you ignorant jock," I said as I laughed, pecking him on the lips.
    "Oh, come on, Jone. That one tiny kiss isn't enough to satisfy me," he said as he pulled me into a deeper kiss.

It was math lesson now. Mrs. Penny and Mrs. Vandelmen were both teaching us about Euclidean geometry. We just started on the topic actually, but because I had nothing to do in the dorm when Nate wasn't around, I studied further into many different math topics by myself. Euclidean geometry was pretty easy to understand . . . for me. The whole class was quiet but people were confused of the angles that were shown on the visualizer. But whenever Mrs. Vandelmen asked the students if they had questions, no one said anything.
I looked at Nate and saw that he had his head down on the table. His head was resting on his arms, indicating that he was either sleeping or just bored. Sheesh, this was why he doesn't understand anything I teach him. Especially math.
"Nate Anderson, wake up right now, mister," Mrs. Vandelmen said as she stood in front of Nate's table.
"H-huh . . . ?" He looked around, groggily opening his half-opened eye lids.
"We are in class, mister. Pay attention!" Mrs. Vandelmen scolded before going back to teaching again.
Nate slumped in his sit as he stretched his arms with a yawn before trying to pay attention. Meanwhile, my eyes wandered off to the new students that sat beside each other. Laura was trying to pay attention while Leo was poking her shoulder with a bored expression on his face, trying to get her attention.
After another few pokes, he gave up and started playing with his notes.
I turned back to face the visualizer, not wanting Laura and Leo to know that I was staring at them. But immediately when I faced the visualizer, something made contact with the back of my head and before I knew it, I heard everyone laughing. What made contact with my head felt like paper. When I looked down, I saw a crumpled paper airplane.
I looked at Nate and saw that he was glaring at someone. When I followed his gaze, it landed on Leo. Leo had a not so apologetic smile on his face. Laura was just copying down notes from the visualizer to even know what was happening.
    When Leo saw me looking at him with a face that has irritation written all over it, he stuck his tongue out with an innocent smile as he shrugged. That bastard . . .
Mrs. Penny quietened the class before looking at Leo with a frown.
During the rest of the math period, I paid attention just in case I missed some information and nothing else. Now I was packing my bag, getting ready to leave. When everyone was out of the classroom, Nate came over to me and smiled at me. I couldn't help but smile back.
When I was finished, Nate was about to grab my hand and get out of class but Mrs. Vandelmen stopped us. She didn't look happy. In fact, she looked like she was disappointed with someone.
"Look, Nate, Jone," Mrs. Vandelmen began with a sort of sad sigh. "I know you two are very close and you two have been assigned to be partners, but . . ." She paused before she started talking again. "I'm sorry but the principal wants me to switch your partners."
Nate and I looked at her with wide eyes.
"But you don't need to change dorms so it's okay."
I sighed in relief but what she said next made me feel worse.
"I have to assign Leo as Jone's tutee and Laura as your tutor, Nate," Mrs. Vandelmen said with a small sad sigh. "I really apologize but the principal wants people to get along with the new students."
"B-but why us?" I asked, eyes begging for an answer.
Mrs. Vandelmen shrugged as she shook her head. "I'm really sorry."
Nate and I looked at each other, pain filled both our eyes. I sighed and looked at Nate, mouthing to him that we didn't have a choice and he just disappointedly nodded.
I looked at Mrs. Vandelmen. "O-okay . . . We'll switch . . ."