Chapter Twenty-two

Once we started our study session, we went through Euclidean geometry together since Leo didn't know anything about it because he wasn't paying attention. Teaching Leo was way different than teaching Nate. It was more difficult. I could act so casual around Nate and he would pay attention more. Tutoring him was fun. But tutoring Leo was nothing but my voice cutting through silence. I couldn't act casual around Leo, nor could I even do anything with him. He doesn't pay attention at all. He looks around like an idiot, stares at the ceiling and doesn't even focus on the worksheet that I have given him.
I missed Nate already. I could be however I want with him, kiss him, hug him, chat with him in the middle of our break . . . I couldn't do anything like that with Leo, though. I hope Laura isn't doing anything bad to Nate . . . I thought worriedly. Like Nate said, fuck the 'guys shouldn't punch girls' rule. If Laura even tried insulting him, I'm punching her pretty face.
I sighed for the who-knows-how-many-times as I looked at Leo who was staring at the worksheet like some sort of imbecile. "Leo, it's your fault for not listening when I was teaching you. And I told you to ask me any questions if you don't know anything. Not stare at the worksheet as if it's whatever you're thinking of right now."
Leo then looked at me with a sheepish smile and scratched the back of his neck, clearing his throat. "Uh, yeah. I don't get it."
I sighed. I felt like throwing the math textbook at him. He honestly reminded me of Nate at the beginning. But Nate changed. I don't know if the same will happen to Leo. I just couldn't stand the guy.
As I was explaining once again, Leo interjected my explanation. "Hey."
I looked at him with an annoyed look. "What is it already? I feel like slapping you, you know."
"Whoa, chill, dude." He raised his hands up in defense. "Just wanted to ask you a question."
"Well, what is it? Is it that important that you have to cut me off from explaining?"
"Not really—"
"Then shut up. I don't feel like explaining Euclidean geometry over and over again."
"Why are you so pissed off? I apologized, didn't I?"
I looked down at the angles that I've drawn out on a blank sheet of paper and just stayed silence with a deadpan expression. I then slumped in my sit, taking a deep breath before sitting back up straight and placing my elbow on the table, cheek pressed against the palm of my hand.
"Look, I don't care about what you did before but your attitude pisses me off," I stated with a frown. "You don't fucking listen to me when I'm explaining and your eyes decide to wonder off somewhere else besides the angles that I've drawn as if we were in some sort of weird dimension."
"Well, okay, I'm sorry—"
"I know you're not fond of studying," I said, ignoring his apology. "No one is. Neither am I. I just wanna study to get good results so that I can have a bright future."
Leo bit his bottom lip softly and just looked at me. He opened his mouth to say something but I rudely cut him off. "So what question were you going to ask? I know it's not related to math or Euclidean geometry but for the sake of this study session, ask now before I change my mind."
"Well, you and that guy from before—"
"Nate."
"Right. About you and Nate. Are you two close?"
I raised a brow. Well, what did I expect from this idiot? If he remembered me, he wouldn't ask me that shitty question. "Yes. Why'd ya ask?"
"Just wondering . . ." Leo's lips curved into a small fake smile. Oh, look at that. He could fake a smile and think that I wouldn't know. Well, whatever. None of my business. But I will admit, I was curious.
"What's with that fake smile?" I asked, arms folded as I leaned back into the chair.
"What? This is real. What are you talking about?" Leo's eyes began wandering off to somewhere again.
"Do I look stupid to you? I know it's fake," I said as a glare made its way to my face.
Leo groaned. "Fine, smart-ass. Yes, it's fake. You know why?"
"If I did, I wouldn't be asking you."
"Because you and Nate get along so fucking well but you don't wanna get along with me," he said, raising his voice out of the blue. "I'm trying to get along with you here. You said that we could get along! I just wanted to befriend you."
I stared at him, glare disappearing. "What—"
"It's not fair," he pouted before glaring at me. "I didn't think you were an asshole until now." He looked away with a scowl.
I suddenly felt bad. I didn't mean to hurt his feelings even though he kinda deserved it because of all the bullying he did to me. I mean, this was revenge, but I really didn't feel like arguing back anymore. He actually seemed upset because I didn't wanna get close to him. Maybe he actually changed—well, most likely because he forgot who I was.
I placed a hand on his shoulder. "Leo—"
"The hell do you want?" he asked irritatedly as he smacked my hand away.
"I-I didn't mean to upset you . . . I just thought that you were an asshole because of before and I just didn't wanna get along with you," I said, lips trembling a bit. "So I'm . . ."
I swallowed my saliva as I looked him, voice suddenly becoming small and inaudible. "I'm sorry, okay?" I looked away with an embarrassed blush as I gripped both of my knees.
Leo turned back to me with a cocky smile. "I'm sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you."
I looked at him, lips still trembling. "I said I'm . . ." My voice got inaudible again as I stuttered out an apology. I could see Leo grinning like the big idiot he was now.
"You're what?" he asked again, placing a hand on my head.
"I-I said I'm sorry, okay?" I said in a soft tone.
This was embarrassing. I couldn't believe I was apologizing to this guy. My lips were trembling, I was stumbling over my own words and I couldn't even apologize properly. But Leo gave me a big smile and patted me on the head.
"Finally. And yes, I accept your apology," he said as he messed up my hair.
I smacked his hand away with an embarrassed look. "Don't do that."
He laughed at me. "Whatever you say."
My eyes suddenly wandered off to the clock and our study session seemed to have ended. I could finally get out of here. I told Leo that we would see each other tomorrow at the same time and he nodded with a smile. I stood up from the table, walking towards the door. But before leaving, Leo waved at me with a grin as I just waved back shyly and awkwardly.
When I opened the door, I saw Laura standing outside with a smile. "Oh, hey, Jone! Nate said that he wanted to see you now. He said to hurry back to the dorm. By the way, how was my bro?"
"Umm." I turned to Leo and then back to Laura. "He was all right, I guess."
"Great! Nate was fine, too! Just quiet," Laura stated as she shrugged. "Oh well! I'll see you around, yeah? Bye!" she said with her casual hearty smile as she skipped into her dorm, closing the door behind me.
With a sigh, I started running down the stairs and then to our dorm. When I unlocked the door, I was pulled inside immediately into Nate's chest.
"N-Nate! The door!" I said as I blushed.
He groaned before locking it and went back to hugging me. "Hey, I missed you."
I chuckled. "I was only gone for a few hours, Nate."
"I can't be without you for more than a second," he said as he sat down on his bed, pulling me onto his lap.
I flicked his nose softly with a laugh. "Liar. You've been out for more than an hour before. You just left me alone like that."
"And I regret that," he said, planting a kiss on my lips. "Did that bastard do anything to you?"
"Leo? Nah, nothing much . . ." I said, shaking my head. "We managed to get along, I guess."
"You and Leo? Getting along? That does not sound right, but okay. But still, stay away from both him and Laura. What I mean is, don't get too close to them."
"Roger. What about you and Laura? Did she do anything?"
"Nah. Just went through boring math stuff like the eu-blah-blah geometry thing."
"Euclidean, Nate."
"Whatever," he said, chuckling.
Laura seemed to be fine but I still didn't feel like getting close to her. She was my bully after all. Same with Leo. But if we all managed to get along, maybe things would work out. But I still didn't like the fact that we switched partners. I just wanted to tutor Nate again.