Chapter Thirty-one

Laura immediately left after she promised me my freedom. She took off with anger in her eyes as small tears trickled down her face. She ran as fast as a victim getting chased by a killer clown. She even slammed the front door, not caring if she caused damage. We knew that it wouldn't matter if Leo found out.
    An hour after Laura left, Leo returned. And when he entered the room, he had a deadpan expression. But I knew this was coming. He walked towards the bed and looked down at me before giving me a horrifying smile. He then started laughing maniacally, his control absent. And once he stopped, he looked at me with the same psychotic face in silence.
    He then spoke up, expression suddenly becoming fierce. "Someone came here, huh?"
    I didn't answer and stayed quiet. I hung my head low to avoid eye contact as I bit my bottom lip. I knew that he would be mad but I didn't think it would turn out like this.
    He noticed my quietness and glared. "The door was opened . . . I left it locked . . . Who came here?"
    Shouldn't it be obvious who came here? I thought as I narrowed my eyes as well, still not looking at his face. I dared not to look at the psycho in front of me. I stayed still and quiet, not making a single movement or sound. I let out a sudden yelp as my chin was gripped harshly, being pulled closer to Leo's face. I could see his expression clearly. He had a somewhat calm but fierce look. His eyes had hatred and anger in them and his mouth formed a thin line.
    "It was that bitch, wasn't it . . . ?" he said, hair covering one of his eyes.
    I didn't say anything, nor did I make a face that has the answer. I just stared back at him expressionlessly.
    "That bitch had the keys the whole fucking time and she didn't tell me?" he said, letting go of my chin before gripping his head with a big creepy grin and wide eyes. He was slowly losing control. He let out low chuckles as he made his way out of the room, kicking the door open with full force. I didn't know where he was heading, but I could still hear his chuckles. And I only knew where he went to when he came back holding a knife in his hand.
    My eyes widened as I stared at him now trembling in fear. When he got closer, I crawled backwards until the chains reached their limit. I was at the edge of the bed. My hands wobbly supported me as I stared back at him in fear. He started to climb onto the bed and crawled towards me. He pointed the knife as me with a calm but psychotic smile as he lifted my chin up with the tip of his knife. I didn't dare move as I gulped in fear.
    "You know, you could've went for the easy way but you decided to keep your mouth shut and silently chose the hard way," Leo said as he kept the knife still, a huge grin plastered on his face. "I'll just have to kill Laura and Nate along with any witnesses."
    My heart dropped. "NO!" I screamed but I didn't move.
    "Oh yes, Jone. And this is all your f—"
That was when the door slammed open and there stood three of the people that I wanted to see: Laura, Nate and Mrs. Vandelmen.
"HANDS OFF, YOU ASSHOLE!" Nate yelled.
Leo let out a low chuckle before moving away from me. He got off the bed and slowly approached the three, playing with the knife in his hand. His expression was calm but his eyes still showed pure hatred. He looked at Laura's tear-stained face and pointed the knife at her, dangerously close to her face that she moved back, falling.
"Leo, don't you dare—"
"Silence!" he snapped, interjecting Mrs. Vandelmen, looking at her with a glare. Nate was even ready to attack when he saw this. But Mrs. Vandelmen placed a hand on his shoulder, signalling him not to make a move yet as she glared back. Leo then looked down at Laura. "You came here, didn't you?"
Laura gulped, looking at Mrs. Vandelmen, Nate and even casting a glance at me. "A-and so what if I did?"
Leo's eyes narrowed more before giving her a huge malicious grin. "Whatever. I'll just have to kill you."
"LAURA!" Mrs. Vandelmen screamed, almost running towards Leo. But before she could even reach him, Nate was the first one to take action, shoving Leo to the side harshly.
    Leo staggered back but his smile was still on his face. He didn't say anything as he just stayed in silence. Nate was ready to attack him but before he could do so, Leo came running into him, raising his knife. Laura managed to get back on her feet as she ran and punched Leo in the face, but he dodged it easily.
    "Aww, little bitch wants to join the fight! How cute!" he yelled.
    Laura was obviously affected by this as her actions slowed down. Tears started to prick her eyes as the harmful words and names said by her brother deeply hurt her. Instead of crying, she grimaced and let out a yell as she aimed another punch at him again. Mrs. Vandelmen was also getting involved. And this was the first time I've seen her fight. She looked so cool and serious.
    Leo laughed loudly as he caught Laura's hand before raising the knife and slicing it downwards. Laura luckily managed to dodge it but the knife managed to cut through her cheek, making it bleed. Laura yelped in pain, and being distracted, Leo took this chance to kick her harshly on the stomach.
    "Laura!" I screamed. I yanked the chains, trying to get out, even though I knew that it most likely would not work. I just tried my luck. And of course, it didn't work.
    This was bad. Laura was hurt really badly and she was struggling to get up.
    Mrs. Vandelmen ran to help Laura while Nate dealt with Leo, throwing many punches and kicks at him. Leo only laughed as he dodged all of them, even throwing a punch at Nate's jaw which sent him to the ground.
    I felt weak just seating on the bed. I wished I could help them. All I could do was scream their names out helplessly as I watch them get beaten up.
    Leo picked Nate up with a smirk before throwing him on the ground harshly. He then raised his foot and rammed it down on his stomach, making him cough.
    "NATE!" I cried.
    Next, it was Mrs. Vandelmen's turn.
    While she was busy helping Laura, Leo walked up behind her.
    "MRS. VANDELMEN, BEHIND YOU—"
    But before she could turn around, Leo kicked her face, bruising it. She fell on the ground as she tried her best to get up, ignoring the pain. But Leo sat on her stomach, forcing down his weight on her. I reached out my hand as if I was trying to help them but all I ended up doing was reaching out to the air, calling her name.
    Laura couldn't get up and she was falling into the darkness and Nate was on his back, struggling to get up. He gripped his stomach before getting up slowly and wobbly. He then started moving towards them. But he was stopped as Leo pointed the knife downwards at Mrs. Vandelmen's face.
    "If you move, she will die," Leo said with a smirk.
    Nate was now stuck. He couldn't decide what to do as he just glared at Leo, not daring to move just yet.
    Mrs. Vandelmen let out a weak chuckle, making Leo face her.
    "What's so funny?" he growled, lowering the knife.
    And just when he asked, sirens were heard.
    "Did you really think we were that stupid to come here without calling the police . . . ?" she choked out with a weak smirk.
    Once Leo was distracted, she shoved her hands into his pockets. Once she got what she wanted, she threw it over to Nate. "CATCH!"
    "You fucker . . ." Leo growled as he raised his knife, ready to slam it down.
    The door busted open with policemen coming in one by one, pointing their guns at Leo.
    "Freeze!" one of them demanded. "We will shoot you if you dare move!"
    Leo let out a low chuckle, dropping his knife beside Mrs. Vandelmen's face before raising his hands in defeat. "You won this time . . ." he said to Mrs. Vandelmen with an unforgiving grin. She only smirked as the police forced him to get off her, cuffing his hands to his back, bringing him away.
    Nate managed to unlock the chains and once he did, I got off the bed as quickly as possible and hugged him not too tightly as I didn't want to injure him. Nate hugged me back weakly with a smile.
    Mrs. Vandelmen slowly got onto her feet and went to Laura's side. She picked her up gently and approached us with a warm smile.
    "We did it," she said, smiling at us gently, earning a nod from me as I snuggled into Nate's shoulder.