Chapter Twenty-five

After what happened yesterday, Nate allowed me to befriend Leo. What about Laura, you ask? Well, I wasn't close with her but I was okay with befriending her. She seemed like a nice person, so why not? Seriously, what was Nate being so jealous about. I loved him and only him and that's final! And as a reward for allowing me to befriend Leo, I kissed him on the lips with a happy grin and told him that we could go on a date next weekend since almost everyone—including Nate's gang, Leo and Laura—had plans with their friends and family. What a funny coincidence, huh?
It was Wednesday after school, and I decided that since I was going to tutor Leo like a half an hour later or so, I decided that I should just go straight to the siblings' dorm and just rest for a while before tutoring him. Of course I had to call Nate first to tell him this if not he would be concerned and worried. So I called Nate and he approved of me going to their dorm, but he told me to wait for him outside our dorm first.
Once I got to our dorm, I leaned against the wall of the empty corridor beside the door. I took out my phone, scrolling through some social media posts to pass time till Nate comes. But not before long, Nate made his appearance in front of me with a smile.
"Hey, Nate," I said with a cheerful grin. "So, why did you want me to come here first?"
"Actually, it isn't really important but I was just gonna say I love you before you head upstairs."
I raised a brow with a chuckle before pecking Nate's brightly red cheek. Stupid Nate. It wasn't like I was leaving for a year or so. But I found this side of him adorable. Him saying that he loves me and stuff was undeniable and definitely winsome.
"I love you too, Nate," I chuckled before pouting. "This is important! Your love is important to me." I smiled.
Nate laughed before gripping my chin lightly, tilting it upwards, kissing me softly on the forehead. What an adorable move! It made me giggle and smile with a blush.
"Since you're here, why don't you just leave your bag and take all the stuff you need for later?" Nate asked.
"Yup, I will. My bag is pretty heavy with all the workbooks and textbooks in it," I said, chuckling.
Nate zipped open my bag and took out my stationary box and the workbook that I always take whenever I tutor Leo, handing it to me before he took my bag from me. He told me to head upstairs with a smile and wave. And before I left, I gave him a peck on the lips as a thanks for helping me carry my bag before making my way upstairs to see Laura and Leo.
While running upstairs, I saw Laura who was walking down the stairs while humming. When she saw me, she waved with a smile before walking pass me as she started singing loud enough for me to hear her purposely horrible singing. She hopped down the stairs, striking a weird pose before walking again. Jeez, what a weird girl, I thought. Shaking my head with a soft laugh, I made my way upstairs and in front of Dorm 86. Knocking with a calm smile, I waited patiently for Leo to opened the door—
"Hey!" The door swung open to reveal a happy Leo immediately after I knocked.
"Hello," I greeted, returning his toothy grin.
"You're early. Laura decided to leave early as well since she said that she wanted to end her session with Nate earlier so that she can meet up with Stephanie again."
"You mean her friend who she nicknames Stephie?"
"Yup," Leo said, heaving a sigh.
"They're close, huh?"
"Very."
Leo seemed bored of the conversation. But I knew just the way to cheer him up.
"Bored?" I asked, almost breaking my smile into a smirk.
"Uh-huh," he said with a nod. He then smiled, eyes filled with relief. "What? Do you have anything fun that I can do?"
"Of course," I said, chuckling with evil eyes. "Anything for my dear friend."
"Wait a sec, I don't like that face you're showing me," Leo said as he looked at me with a frown. "It's probably a test on Euclidean geometry, huh—"
"Bingo!" I said in a sort of singing tone.
"Dude, you're so mean!" Leo groaned and just huffed before letting me in the dorm.
I just laughed before sitting down. I laid the workbook on the table along with my stationary box and took out the math test that was slipped in between the pages of the workbook. I handed the test to Leo with an innocent smile. "Good luck!" I said, smile not leaving. Leo just groaned and snatched the paper away.

After an hour or so, Leo finally finished the test and gave it to me so that I could mark it. While marking the test, I looked over to Leo to see him leaning in his chair and staring at me with boredom. Once he noticed I was looking at him, he asked monotonously, "Can I get a reward or something?"
I hummed before replying, "Depends on the reward."
"How about hanging out at the park?"
"Sure. Let me just call Na—"
"Let's go then!"
Leo suddenly grabbed my arm without warning, making me drop my pen as he dragged me outside the dorm.
"L-Leo! I haven't finished marking yet—"
"Just mark later!" he said as he ran down the stairs, holding my hand tightly as I tried to pick up my pace so that I wouldn't fall.
Seriously, there was something wrong with this guy. No one just pulls someone out so excitedly because they wanted to hang out. But it was good to see Leo happy. It was way better than seeing him bored to death. But what I didn't feel so well about was that Nate didn't know that I was going to hang out with Leo. I usually end my session with Leo right before dinner. But what if we come back after dinner? Nate will be worried if I don't call him.
Before I knew it, we were at the park. The park was empty once again. I guess no matter what time it is, no one goes to the park very often. It was sad, honestly. This was a nice park to relax at.
When Leo dragged me to a bench, I finally noticed that we were still holding hands. I really wished that it was Nate's hand that I was holding instead of Leo's. Even when we sat down, our hands were still intertwined. Not wanting to be rude, I just reminded Leo politely that he was still holding my hand. Once he heard me, he instantly let go but shifted his body a little closer to mine until our shoulders touched.
I didn't really enjoy the fact that our shoulders were touching. That just means that he was way too close to me. So I shifted away a little so that there was a little gap between us. Much better, I thought as I looked up at the sky, gazing at the clouds comfortably.
Unfortunately, I got carried away and forgot to call Nate. I only realized that when Leo started talking.
"Hey, Jone," he said before chuckling. "Are you and Nate a couple or something? 'Cause you guys are close as hell."
I faked a realistic laugh and smiled at him. "What? Stop joking around! He's just a close friend of mine!"
    Leo's voice then started becoming monotone as his expression became deadpan. Does he not believe me? I hope he doesn't know that I'm lying! I thought. He then opened his mouth and began to speak. And what he said next shocked me.
    "Hey, I like you. Would you believe me if I told you that?"
    I faked another laugh. But this time, it wasn't a successful one. "W-what are you saying? Stop joking, okay?"
    "This isn't a joke," he said as he stood up and looked away. "I like you. If you don't have a lover or so, why not go out with me?"
    I stood up as well but stepped back shakily. "Look, Leo, the problem is that I don't like you back the same way as how you like me. I see you as a great friend!" I said, trying to smile. But it wasn't working. I couldn't even smile at him. I just felt guilty.
    "Yeah . . . I knew this would fucking happen," he mumbled loud enough for me to hear as he turned to me with fierce eyes. "You think I don't fucking remember you, do you? You think I changed, right?"
    My eyes widened as he spoke, walking towards me. It was a mistake to follow him out here. I took many steps back shakily as I broke into a sprint to the other direction. But Leo was so fast that he grabbed my arm. As I turned to face him, something hard slammed into my cheek. Before losing conscious as I fell down, someone caught me before I made contact with the ground and carried me, proceeding to walk to only-god-knows-where.