Chapter Three

We were able to study for a few hours before Nate totally gave up on listening to me. I was trying to get him off his bed as I tugged on the hem of his jeans.
    "Come on, Nate. Get up. I promise that we can go to the cafeteria for dinner after we're done," I said.
    "Jesus Christ, Jone, stop being a nerd and get over it. We've been studying for six hours already. Stop nagging," Nate said, clearly irritated.
    "It hasn't been six hours! Stop exaggerating! Please, just for one more hour!"
    Not hearing a reply, I sighed in annoyance and stopped tugging on his jeans. There was no way I could convince Nate. He was being a lazy jerk who only knows how to attract attention with his looks and that stupid handsome smile of his. I puffed my cheeks out as I looked away with a blush.
    Finally hearing a creak from the bed, I looked at Nate as he got up from his lying position and stretched. He got up from the bed and walked towards me. I raised my brow at him, confused. He leaned in, lips brushing against my right ear, sending shivers down my spine.
    "No," he whispered with a smirk, replying to my previous question.
    He leaned back, shoving his hands in his pockets. "I'm hungry. Let's get somethin' to eat."
    I looked back at him and sighed. I had to admit, I was pretty hungry. I nodded, causing Nate to pull me up from my chair before dragging me out of the dorm, almost forgetting to lock the door.
    After getting my food, I wanted to find a place to sit—alone. The cafeteria was packed, making it more difficult for me to find an empty spot. This was one of the nights where the cafeteria was still open so that we didn't have to go out. But I would rather get outta here. To be honest, I wanted to sit with Nate. But I knew that if I did, it would start a fight. A nerd like me shouldn't be sitting with a jock like him. It would be weird.
    After seeing that there weren't any empty tables, I decided to pack my dinner up and bring it back to the dorm. I was actually relieved to see that the cafeteria was packed and that there were no vacancy as I hate to be in noisy places. Besides, I didn't want people to throw food at me again. Throwing food at me was like an everyday routine for my schoolmates. And I don't think they plan to stop.
    Just as I was about to start eating, the door creaked open. Nate entered the room awkwardly before closing the door. I looked at him, confused. Why was he here? Maybe he finished his food since he was a fast eater.
    Nate shifted a chair beside me. He then sat on it and looked at me. "Not eating in the cafeteria?"
    "Obviously not," I replied with a frown. No way in hell was I going to eat in the cafeteria when I know I was going to be the target of the food war that was going to happen if I hadn't left the cafeteria!
    "Oh yeah . . . You're always getting slapped in the face with food, huh?" Nate said, finally realizing the obvious reason.
    "What? Have you forgotten? You're also the one who throws food at me."
    Nate chuckled. "Yeah . . . Sorry 'bout that, bro."
    "Oh really? What's your proof of apology?"
    "That I said sorry and I meant it?"
    "How would I know?"
    Nate frowned at my stubbornness.
    "I'll buy you something then," Nate said. "In return, you have to accept my apology."
    I looked at him, wide-eyed. "W-what?! Nate, you don't have to! I was just joking!" I didn't like it when people try to buy me things. I didn't like to feel like I was in debt even if they say I didn't need to pay them back.
    "As if I can believe that."
    "S-sorry! I really meant that as a joke!"
    Nate looked at me with a slight smile and ruffled my hair. "What if I give you something without spending money?"
    "T-then that's okay," I said as I lowered my eyelids with a small blush.
    "Then what do you want?"
    I looked away. I knew what I wanted but I was embarrassed to tell him. What if he laughs at me? I just wanted a hug, but it would be really awkward if I just hugged him all of a sudden like how I used to. Besides, he doesn't remember me so he would probably pull away immediately if I were to do that.
    I finally managed to look at him. "I-I want a hug . . ."
    "Wow, that's it?"
    "Y-yeah . . ."
    "Aight, fine. But promise me you won't fall for me, got it?" he said somewhat jokingly.
    As if I can help myself from falling for you, I thought as I pouted unnoticeably.
    Before I knew it, Nate pulled me up from my chair and his buffed arms were wrapped around my waist. I blushed at his actions. I wasn't expecting him to wrap his arms around my waist. But I ignored the unexpected action and wrapped my arms around his neck. I missed his comforting arms.
    I felt as if I didn't want to let go. After a very long time, I finally got a hug from the person I've loved for many years. I felt that if we were to pull away, I would be lonely even though he was here with me. I just felt safe in his arms.
    Tears blurred my vision as I sniffed. Shit, I can't cry now!
    Nate looked at me, surprised.
   "S-sorry . . ." I rubbed my tears away. "I hadn't gotten a hug for a very long time." I looked away. "Forgive me," I mumbled almost inaudibly. Now I just sound like a fool, don't I? But I guess that wasn't what Nate thought as his eyes widened. He looked at me in disbelief. I expected him to retreat his arms and look at me in disgust because of how much of a wimp I was. But Nate's arms never left. His arms were still wrapped around my body. He then buried his face in my right shoulder. My eyes went wide for a moment before tears started falling again, realizing how much I've missed him. And now I was finally able to touch him and speak to him.