Chapter Nine

When I woke up, all I could see was the ceiling light above me. I groaned at how irritating it was to my eyes and forcefully closed them.
    When I was used it, I slowly opened my eyes and stared at the white ceiling.
    I was in the infirmary.
    I wanted to rub my temples from yet another headache, but when I shifted my left hand, I could feel someone's hair against it. I moved my head a little to the left and saw Nate with his familiar blonde hair, face on the bed, arms placed underneath as a pillow.
He was sleeping.
    All I could do was stare at him with a smile. I wished for him to save me and he really did . . . I couldn't stop smiling as I ran my hand down his messy hair. His appearance didn't change much and he was still cute no matter how badass he looked.
    Hearing the sound of groaning from Nate, I withdrew my hand from his hair and laid it right beside me. He lifted his head and rubbed his eyes. He yawned loudly and stared at me for a moment.
    "Hey . . . are you okay? Are you still hurt?" he asked, filled with concern.
    I shook my head with a smile. "I'm fine. It doesn't hurt that much now—"
    And then there was a huge wave of pain in my head and all I could do was grip my head with a pained expression. Damn headache . . .
    "You sure about that?" he asked.
    "Just a headache . . ."
    "All right. Well, I'll see if I can get painkillers from the nurse or something."
    Before wanting to call out for the nurse that was in charge, he noticed that no one else was in the infirmary. The nurse must've left to inform a teacher about what happened. He sighed and got up from his seat and looked in different cabinets and drawers to see if he could find any painkillers.
    After a few minutes, he came back with some painkillers and a glass of water.
    "Here," he said as he handed me the painkillers. "Can you get up?"
    I nodded and tried to sit up but despite saying that I was okay, some parts of the wounds were still very painful and the side of my stomach was badly bruised.
    As I struggled trying to get up, Nate stopped me.
    "It's okay. I'll help you with this," Nate said. "Just lie down and I'll help you."
    I did as instructed and brought my hand up to my mouth, letting the painkillers slide in. Nate brought the glass of water to my mouth and tilted it so that I could drink. I could feel the water sliding down my throat along with the painkillers, but I didn't know how to feel at the moment as this was one of the most embarrassing moments I've had.
    My face turned red from embarrassment until Nate withdrew his hand. He looked at me and placed a hand on my head, ruffling my hair. "You okay now?"
    I nodded, my lips forming a small smile.
    "Great," he said, returning the smile with a bigger one.
    It was silent for a moment and all I could hear was the clock ticking. Then I saw Nate opening his mouth, wanting to say something, but he shut it and lowered his head, face a tad bit red. I'm guessing it was something embarrassing but before he could say anything stupid, he shut his mouth, I thought. But then he opened his mouth again and finally spoke.
    "I went to find you when you didn't return. And when I saw you on the floor. All I could see was blood and bruises," he said softly. "I'm sorry I couldn't help you . . ."
    All I could do was give him a smile. "You saving me is already helping me a lot. And I thank you for that."
    Nate looked away for a moment and turned back with a fierce glare. "Who did this to you?"
    I kept quiet, pondering if I should tell him. One side of me didn't want to ruin his relationship with his gang and the other wanted Nate to know as I thought they deserved it.
    "Who was it?" he growled again, anger rising.
    I looked at him sadly and answered softly, "I-it was your group of friends . . ."
    "Fuck . . ." he cursed with a frown. "I should've known that those bastards would do that to you . . ."
    "Nate—"
    "I'm sorry, Jone. I really am—"
    "Nate!"
    He looked at me with a questioning look.
    "It's okay," I said softly with a smile.
    I couldn't blame Nate because as long as he was okay with me, I could care less about his shitty gang. They could go gay for all I care! All I wanted was Nate and I to get along again.
    "Jone . . ." he muttered and caressed my cheek softly.
    His face was getting red, how adorable!
    I giggled at the redness of his face and just continued smiling.
    "Don't—"
    I looked at Nate as he wanted to say something and realized that his face got redder.
    "Don't let them—"
    My eyes widened as I remembered the very nostalgic phrase.
    "—get to you. I'll protect you . . ." I completed the sentence with a smile.
    Maybe he does remember who I am, I thought with hope.
    He looked at me, surprised. "H-how did you know I was gonna say the exact same thing?"
    I just smiled at him. I wanted to let him figure out on his own. I wanted him to tell me that he remembers me.
    He opened his mouth and started talking, "I-I said that to a childhood friend before . . . I don't remember his face or his name but . . ." He looked at me. "Why do I feel like you're him . . . ?"
    "Nate . . ." I began with a giggle. "You're still as cute as before, aren't you? Using the same phrase again."
    His face got redder. "S-shut up!"
    I continued giggling and just smiled at his cute red face. He looked at me with a smile and embraced me. I wrapped my hands around his neck and buried my face into his shoulder with a blush.
    "I've missed you . . ." he whispered and pulled me closer to him.
    "I'm so glad you remembered me . . . I thought you didn't and I just lost hope . . ." I said, voice shaky as if I was about to cry from happiness.
    "Hey, don't cry," he said softly. "Your hero's here, you nerd."
    I blushed and remembered what I told him when he saved me from my bullies.
    You're my hero, Nate!
    "Shut up, you jerk," I said and hid my face in his shoulder. "And I wasn't going to cry!"
    All he could do was laugh at my action and I found it irritating. If only I wasn't injured, I would smack him.
    He released me. "Come on. Let's head back to the dorm."
    I nodded, but yelped when he suddenly carried me like a bride out of the bed. "Your hero will carry you. It's okay."
    He laughed as my face turned red. I glared at him and punched him weakly. "Shut up, airhead!"