Ten

Someone had given me new clothes. Another white dress only cleaned the same maddening white as the walls of my prison with bright red Hightops.

My hair wasn't trimmed at all, the tips were burned from earlier. My face felt cleaned like someone had bathed me, hopefully it wasn't Maven.

A small white table was up in the center of the room with two chairs sporting form opposite sides facing each other, a steaming hot plate of soup with a small loaf of bread sat on the table. I propped my eyebrow up, there was even set of utensils on the side.

I knew eating the random food that I found on the random table, but my stomach was killing me, and I was tired of the hunger pangs. I didn't know what poison smelt like so,there was no point in smelling it.

Spoon I'm hand I dipped it into soup. It was honey brown, and lukewarm. The aroma blooming in my mouth once the soup splashed onto my taste buds.

The soup was spicy yet sweet, with a hint of lemon. I gave up on the spoon after that. Bringing the bowl to my mouth and pouring it in.

It was shame I reached the bottom so quickly. I then fixed my eyes on bread reaching for it.

"Enjoying yourself?" Maven's voice asked from behind. I didn't care if Maven was in the room or not, I rose the bread to my mouth nipping on it.

"Care for some chess?" Maven said walking from behind me. What looked to be a chess set was propped under his arm.

"I don't know how to play" I whispered, breaking off a chunk and stuffing it in my mouth.

"You seem to play just fine" Maven said taking his seat across from me, and setting up the board than handing me a bad full of pieces.

I've never seen pieces shaped like this. It took me a moment to analyze the pieces to realize the pieces were shaped like people, I knew.

"I had the set specially made, for us. Mare. Do you like them? The Magnetrons worked very hard to get every detail."

"There so pretty" I said putting down a Kilorn piece. He was smiling standing on his tippy toes.

"We made them as accurate as possible, for our game of chess. You decide how valuable the pieces are" he said taking out his pieces. Unlike mine, the only high detailed characters he had where him, being Evangeline was faintly detailed.

My breath caught at the Cal piece, it was perfect he was dressed in his peasant clothing he wore the night I met him, his hair was messey and unkept, with what looked to be a bit of oil splashed on his face. He was smiling up at me, his eyes bright as the sun.

How did Maven know about all these people spilling out of my bag, every detail, every hair, all the blush was painted perfectly on. From the people as substantial as Farley to the people never introduced to him like Cameron they were all on point.

My piece lay at the bottom of the bag. My skinny fingers picked up the mini me. I wore a dress of royalty, I looked like royalty, pale small and elegant. She looked like me, a faint smile on her face and pale blush lined her cheeks. The colors my dress was solely red. With a head piece keeping my hair at bay.

I knew how chess was set up sorta of, "1 king, 1 Queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights, and 8 pawns, Mrs

"1 king, 1 Queen, 2 rooks, 2 bishops, 2 knights, and 8 pawns, Mrs.Barrow you decide the place of each, under one condition you are the queen."  Maven says setting up his side, his eyes flashed to me as if expecting something once he placed Evangeline in the queen position.

It took me a while but I settled on my places. Bree and Tramy would be my knights, Kilorn and Gisa as my bishops, and my parents as my rooks. My eyes watered a bit once a placed the pawns. Cameron, Nanny, and others took those eight positions. Maven's eyes narrowed once I placed Cal as my king.

Like I said I didn't know how to play, Maven kept snipping at me when ever, I moved. Making tiny comments on each move I made. The only solid thing I knew about chess was the king was the most important player.

Maven was shockingly good at this game. The bread I was munching on was shocking good also.

"I'm sorry about today, Mare." Maven said suddenly, his sliver blush has flushed and he shifts uncomfortably in his seat as he goes on "I didn't mean for things to get quite out of hand."

"You mean like you choking me, while blowing up the stage? Honestly I think lighting my cage in fire which if you ask me, is already taking it out of hand." I throw back at him, why was he apologizing in the first place it didn't make sense

"I didn't mean to blow up the stage, I'm not even sure how that happened, must've been a malfunction in the wiring-"

"The wiring for the cage I was in that you lit on fire" I said breaking off another chunk of bread

"This is how things have to be, Mare. The slivers scream for blood. Wouldn't you rather it be you than the innocent red children, mothers, and fathers?" He announced patronizing me.

I looked down, why were we even having this conversation. Maven was not my friend. Friends didn't light you on fire, though Cal did that to Kilorn occasionally, but friends didn't pelt each other with rocks, through Cal has done that to Kilorn occasionally. Friends didn't lock other friends in a room to rot, though Kilorn had done that to me, more than once he wasn't the kind of guy you wanted to piss off. Wait was Maven my friend? He was sitting before me playing a game of chess almost like we were friends. "Why haven't you killed me yet?"

"Why haven't you killed me yet?" Maven said surveying my body "or at least attacked me? Your free of your silent stone bonds, Mare. Your free to attack me, if you please." He said placing one of his pawns forward.

I opened my mouth to respond then relieved I had nothing to say, I don't know why I wasn't doing it, though the chains weren't physically there, they still were mentally.

Maven smiled "You see Mare you have a place in my court. The one thing I cannot ask of anyone else belongs to you, my confident." He said raising his hand and laying it on mine.

"I-I don't understand" I whispered back sliding my hand away and placing it on my lap it was still oddly warm from the touch of his hands.

"But you should most of all, by personal experience you've dealt with the idiots that can barley pass for a court. It's a pain keeping all that information to myself. It's best to have someone like you someone with out any influence on Norta , you may judge me all you want, yet you have no power to do anything about the things I say."  Maven says reaching out gripping my jaw.

"I don't want to know, what goes on in your court, Maven. My answer is no" if he wanted a confident he could find it himself in the hell he's created in his court, I wasn't gonna carry around his baggage I had enough of my own.

Maven stood a dark emotion playing in his eyes. Before I knew what was happening I slammed into the floor, my cheek flaring with pain. Keep the tears at bay, Mare, you promised no more tears.

"I don't care what you want, you will obey. And if you ever even consider uttering the word no in my presence you will suffer greatly" he said standing above me. Maven started packing up the chess set quietly. And excited the room.

I stayed bawled up after he left. Maven leaving in a hurry forgot a piece. I stayed curled up on the floor clutching the Cal piece to my heart stay strong Mare, do it for him.

I was now realizing the desent into insanity didn't exist. It was more like a plunge.

Let's play a game through out the rest of the story try to guess weather this story's more Marven based (Mare X Maven) or MareCal based (Mare X Cal) which I'll probably refer to as Calimare.