Sixteen

Kilorn, Somewhere in Norta? Hopefully?

Was Cal Insane? He blows his cover like it was everyone's business. Things were going 'okay' Then the second Mare appears he goes berzerk. I didn't know what to do in the moment, Evangelina sucked in a breath at his sudden appearance. Her Eyes mirrored terror, "I-I He was Officer Cal-" Evangeline huffed. What was wrong with her? She was hyperventilating.

I wanted to run forward and do something, Sure I had a gun, but we were under strict orders not to touch the king. Maybe now was the time to take out Evangeline. Would she even be able to deflect the bullets? I fastened my belt,  just then the temperature rose unnaturally, and just kept rising. My mask was crisping "Run" Evangeline barely parts her lips before taking off. 

My fingers lingered on my gun handle, I hoped my sense were lying to me put when I brang my hand to eyes there were lined with light black liquid. "Jinkies!"   I spat this was fine Iron If Cal's heat could melt metal it wouldn't take much time to start a human campfire. "Run you, idiots!" I shout, turning on my heels. Evangeline was nowhere in sight, I didn't know how to feel about that. I felt like I was personally responsible for her, I don't know why. Maybe because she reminded me of someone? Either way, I had to find her, it would cripple the Sliver economy if their queen to be, died.  

My one mistake was looking over my shoulder as I ran. The fire was gaining on me, it had consumed just about everything in sight. Had Cal done this? Teddyberias himself? Maven wasn't capable of this or was he? Cal wouldn't do anything to hurt Mare, ever. I may have hated Tiberias from the second I laid eyes on him, but it wasn't full hearted. Cal was always trying to help Mare, from the start and I had faith he would till then end. He would protect her in that hell Maven created I just knew it. Cal being there was the one thing keeping me from charging into the flames.

"Lady Samos!" I called charging into the forest "Lady Samos!"

Somehow the fire was still chasing me, She might've run farther. I unfastened my slightly melted gun. Thankfully just the only thing damaged about it was the silly designs on the sides. I also was equipped with a sword because swords.

These were the legs of a fisherman, utterly muscle-less. I was built to sit and wait, not to run. But at the same time, they were the legs of a red rat and a Scarlet guard soldier.  "Evangeline!"I called trying again.

A small rustle sounds from the bushes and a sniffle and a sob follow.

I fasten on my gun as I round a tree trunk. Finger on the trigger, I inhaled once before slamming my index finger down. The poor thing didn't even have a chance to scream. Her body landed with a loud thud, like a sack of rocks.

She was with her brother now, they weren't necessary in a better place but they were in a place. I sorta felt bad, she had looked at me with lonely empty eyes, I think she looked to me as a friend. The least I could do was bury her, I wasn't like the silvers I had morals. I rounded the bush my eyes closed, I just had the feeling something was terribly wrong, like I had ripped something that world wasn't ready to give up. I shouldn't be feeling this way, the earth was cruel if it wasn't done with Evangeline, cruel to reds and cruel to her. 

I knew it was wrong to close my eyes to gather up the game, I had done this and I had to own up to it. One last breath I promised preparing myself for the scene I had caused. Why was it so hard Kilorn just do it, she was horrid to Mare during her castle days, and probably worse when she was a prisoner. This wasn't wrong this was right.

I couldn't feel anything the second I opened my eyes, this was terribly wrong. I could barely choke out a sob, I couldn't breathe. How could this have happened? Then It all hit me out once I could only get the breath out of me. Two more broken sobs exit my body, and the tears some strolling down my face.

"Officer!" I muted voice calls out, then more muffled ruffling. Evangeline crashes into me knocking us both onto the limp body before. Their blood stains my uniform, red blood stains my uniform, Bree's blood stains my uniform.

The bullet entered his chest, dead on impact. "Didn't even have a chance to scream"I mutter My voice sounds dead.

"Shame," Evangeline's voice sounds uneasy "The reds deserve to suffer for the  monster they unleashed,"

"That fire forest isn't his fault. It ours" My voice cracks nearing the end

Evangeline doesn't bother turning her head "I wasn't talking about Tiberias," Evangeline murmurs, following the trail of the retreating fire.

I didn't have it in me to fire another gun shot at Evangeline. What kind of human was I had slaughtered Bree, my childhood figure growing up. I couldn't feel anything just walking, maybe if I got far enough I could leave the guilt behind. I didn't even bury his body, didn't even mourn.

What would I tell Cal, Tramey, Farley, Gisa, Mare? Oh God Mare, she was done 2 brothers how could I ever look her in the eye again. Bree's safety was part of the reason she was wasting away in some cell, part of the reason she had become a fragile doll to Maven. I hoped Cal burned them all, I hoped he killed Mare just to end all this nonsense. I hoped he killed Mare so I wouldn't have to look into her eyes again.

I lost track of time as we walked through the woods walking deeper and deeper into the ash of what once was a forest.

The forest was quiet with tiny embers holding onto what ever life it could manage eating away at everything it could. 

"Do you think he'll be mad?" Evangeline's voice is a long contrast to  the quietness of the woods we'd gotten used to.

"Why would he be mad?"

"I ran away from the one I swore I'd kill" She muttered her eyes on the ground

I could barely give her a shrug, she knew the answer.

Evangeline had gone up head, not 15 minutes later I hear a scream. Wasn't blood curling but still pretty terrified. By the time I had caught up to her on the clearing she had crumpled to her knees.

"Why are you-" I stopped myself glancing at the plain empty plain "No,no,no" I huffed kicking the ash.

"They Left me" Evangeline cried "He left me"

The wasn't right how could I be stranded in the middle of nowhere with Evengeline.