Fourteen

I wanted to die so bad at that moment. How could I have been so careless, careless enough to expose myselfie. Mare seemed unfazed by my sudden appearance, she seemed unfazed by everything. 

"I didn't expect to see you here,brother or see you at all" Maven observed smiling. I barely paid him any attention, my eyes were on the figure standing slightly behind Maven.

"I could say the same for you brother," I say back I wasn't shying away from this. That's what Maven wanted "I'm surprised you're not still cowering behind your mother, well her ghost at least."   I was being bold and reckless, I was proud of myself. 

Anger flashed in Maven's eyes "I could say the same thing about Father, but he probably wouldn't offer his protection to you considering you were his undoing," Maven says holding his chin up.

"You should know the difference between secrets and lies, Maven," I say glaring right into those doors he called eyes. Maven had quoted that quote a million times before to me. Whenever Julian had told me fables about Elara and my mother. Never trust blonde people, they were equivalent to satan. Then I'd say aren't you blonde uncle Julian then he'd laugh it off and say exactly. Most traumatizing tutor ever, he'd give me riddles and such. You'd think he tutored Maven instead of me.

"I do," Maven says his eyes flicking to Mare, who didn't seem to hear our conversation. Lost in her own world. Maven had trapped her within her head, and she didn't seem to know how to get out. "I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't gawk at my trophy," Maven said smugly. I've never hated anything more than his smile. 

All my life I've learned to keep my temper under my radar, my entire life so I wouldn't hurt my anyone, so I wouldn't hurt him. How could I have been so stupid? I should've burned him alive the night he spawned into my life. I should've crucified Elara the first time she looked at me with absolute hatred.I should've killed them all during the bowl of bones. Bree understanding the silent message in the temperature raise shuffled away from me. Mare was no trophy, and she defiantly wasn't his. I couldn't contain it anymore I hadn't touched my powers in days, besides that stupid cage showcase, but that was just scratching the surface. I exploded I've never allowed myself this much fire."What did you do to her?" My voice was furious, Mare was one of strong spirit she wasn't one to be broken easily.  

Then there was Maven and he was laughing. "Nothing at all brother, she came to me like this,"

Came? I assure you Mare would never go to Maven willingly "Let her go!" I growled

"Actually I don't think I will, I enjoy having my human-sized doll. We've grown quite close over the months. Did you know Her hair curls based on her mood, it's a curly mess when she's irritated."

"Am I annoying you brother? You honestly thought you had a chance being a good ruler? With power like this, you'd have no choice but to rule in fear." Maven smirked. Just my luck the one person my flames were intended for was immune.

"You only annoy me when your breathing, Maven" I grunt back, turning up the heat in his general area, or at least I tried to the entire area around us flamed from orange to red.

Just then a high-pitched scream pierced the air, as lighting struck randomly from the sky making the fire reach new heights.  Maven's and I fixed our eyes on the one person who had been so quiet we'd forgotten she was there.

Mare had curled in on herself, forming a tiny ball on the ground. Her clothes were a charred mess, she had tucked her wildly overgrown hair in her clothes to protect it. it has hard to ignore how burned and blistered her face was every time she went up for air.  I'm not sure if her lightning strikes were intentional or not but, her screams told me she was in pain.

Maven blinks twice clearing a path for him to walk through walking towards her. I wanted to do the same but, it wasn't safe for her. My flamemaker was going berserk. Mare eyed Maven cautiously as he walked towards her. Maven was whispering something repeatedly getting louder and louder as he approached her, it wasn't until Maven was standing over her until I could understand what he was saying "Look what he did to you," He said picking up her limp blistered arm, she wasn't dead thankfully. Maven scooped Mare into his arms like she weighed nothing, she probably did her arms looked bone skinny. Maven looked genuinely mad locking eyes with me "You call me the monster when you do this," He screamed shoving Mare forward "To the one you claim to love, your even worse than me. Look around you Cal, you did this on purpose, your power will be your undoing." Maven screamed I've never seen him so mad. He gave one last scream settling down the fire. 

I wasn't contributing to the fires anymore, they slowly died down. No one was left besides ashes. Maybe I really was a monster. I didn't bother torching the fresh set sentinels who hadn't left the plane and avoided my fire forest. I'm actually surprised they were able to carry me all the way to the ships entrance and down to the cellars. I'd done Maven's job for him burning the rebellion on the front to a crisp, I bet not even Bree could escape. Tonight I had burned Slivers and Reds, and worst of all her.

Tonight's homecoming didn't go to that because the entire events just a bunch of grind circles so instead I wrote this while everyone sends me pictures of how much fun they're  having during it. And let me tell you this part took a few tears to write, but I think I've finally found a plot for Cal that's not what everyone else it doing. Yay me. Anyway, I'll leave yall to cry and scream in the comment section. Happy screaming!