Sober

Work and workout really wore you off today, so you didn't even have the strength to move to bed. You fell asleep on the couch earlier in the night, right after dinner. You're not sure how long you were sleeping when you wake up with the sound of someone knocking on your door.

You think you were just dreaming as you rub your sleepy eyes, but suddenly, whoever was at your door starts knocking again, this time more insistently.

"Okay, I'm not dreaming." You mumble to yourself as you sit up on the couch, seeing what times it was (and it was almost 3-fucking-am.) and trying to make sense of what's going on.

As you were nearing the door, the knocking stops, but you still go look by the peephole to see who's there.

It's Seth, your best friend. He's leaning his head and shoulder against the door, unable to maintain balance, and he looked wasted, like really, really wasted.

He's about to knock again when you open the door.

"Hey (y/n)... I'm sorry... to bother, but-" He slurs, looking slightly embarrassed despite the evident drunken state he was in.

"C'mon in, Seth." You say dryly. You hated seeing him like this. He rarely drinks, but when he does, he always looks so empty, so not himself when he's drunk.

He tries to walk inside alone, but to no avail. You sigh as you put his arm around your shoulders and hold onto him, dragging him towards the couch. He lied down on the couch, literally sprawled all over the couch. You sit on the small table, facing him.

"What made you drink that much, Seth?" You ask, trying to understand why he is in this state in the first place.

"You." He shoots, letting out a slight chuckle.

"What? Me? What did I do?" You ask him, not understanding where he was coming from with all this.

He takes a deep breath and rubs his eyes, before telling you something you never thought you'd hear coming out of his mouth.

"You made me fall in love with you." He confesses, his eyes burning holes into yours, as he looked at you sleepily from all the alcohol.

"I- What?" You are literally speechless right now, you can't find any words to say, but well, the truth is he probably doesn't mean any of this and he won't remember anything in the morning, for sure.

"You heard me... I'm in love with (y/n)..." He slurs yet again, as he drifts off to sleep.

You're left there, with your heart beating the fastest it ever beat and your mind racing. After taking his shoes off and putting a blanket over him, you can't help but looking at his sleeping form, caressing his hair softly. You finally get the strength to get up and go to bed, not leaving without pressing a light kiss to his forehead.

-

You barely slept for the rest of the night, last night's events kept running back and forth in your mind. Especially when your anxiety remembered you that you had to face him in the morning. What if he remembered everything? Fuck no! He was too drunk for that, and if he did, he'd tell you he didn't mean it, leaving you heartbroken without even knowing. What if he didn't remember anything? Fuck yes! But fuck no, because you had to live with the memory of the man you love saying he loved you, and act as if nothing ever happened. Conclusion? You're fucked.

7 am. You sigh as you look at your phone's screen. Wanting to clear your mind, you go for a shower. After you take your shower, you feel slightly better, but everything comes downhill as you lay eyes on him again, once you step on the living room, headed to the kitchen to make breakfast. You wanted to lay beside him, cuddle him and tell him you loved him too, but you couldn't, you weren't ready for rejection and you didn't want to lose a friend.

You shake those thoughts and continue walking to the kitchen, where you start to make breakfast for you and Seth. When you're halfway through it, he leans against the kitchen's door, but you don't notice it.

"I could get used to this." He says smiling, making you jump in your place.

"You're up." Is all you can say. You can't even look at him straight. All those thoughts, all that anxiety... it's all back.

"What's up?" He asks, getting closer to you. He obviously has no clue what he said last night.

"Hmm, nothing. Just making breakfast." You mumble, focusing on what you're doing, not taking one glance at him. You're afraid you might break if you do.

"I meant what I said last night." He shoots shyly, making you stop in your tracks completely. "I understand if you don't feel the same, but don't act like this around me... please..."

"You remember?" You mumble, finally glancing at him. He looks nervous, but a cute nervous.

"Yeah, I was drunk, but not that drunk." He replies, avoiding your gaze.

"And you mean it?" You ask, you just need to be sure, you need to hear it from his sober self to believe it.

"I do. But you don't believe me, right?" He looks really disappointed, you're not sure if he's disappointed in himself or in you.

"I just... you were drunk and-"

"You want to hear me say it sober, right?" He replies in realization of where you're coming from. You face him again, your eyes locked with his as he takes a deep breath. "Fine. I am in love with you, (y/n)."

Once again, you can't find the strength to tell him anything. You weren't expecting this at all. You love him, but you knew his background, you knew about all his conquests, about everything. You never even thought he could have feeling for you. Ever.

With your lack of response, his stare turned into the saddest look you ever saw on his face, as left your eyes to move to his hands.

"Hm... It's fine. I knew it'd go out this way... I'll see myself out." He mumbles, not glancing at you as he turns his back at you, ready to leave the kitchen.

"Wait!" You shout, grabbing his arm, turning him to you again. "I'm in love with you too." He looks at you confused, as you wrap your arms around his neck, pressing your lips to his. He pecks your lips again, then smiles at you, triggering you to kiss him deeply, tangling your tongue with his.

After you pull back, his face turns into a grimace as he shuts his eyes closed and rubs his temples.

"Hangover, uh?" You chuckle, poking his chest.

"Oh, c'mon, it was so worth it, best hangover ever!"