61 So Where Are They?

Erik~~

"Why haven't they done anything?" Thomas asks, opening a door and leading me and him into another bunker, this one in the shape of a narrow hallway.

"They'll have to discuss it with the rulers of the Amoris's planet."

They only have until tomorrow afternoon to follow through on our request.

Thomas stops in the middle of the bunker. "If they have their own planet, why did they come here anyway?"

"There are lot of reasons, but it can be summed up to having time, money, and being bored."

We continue walking through the base, finally coming to the holding bunker. I haven't been back since Jonas told me about Arrietty.

Lila, standing along the wall, snaps her head toward us. "Dad. Erik."

Thomas crosses his arms. "What are you doing here, Lila?"

"I wanted to meet the Preeminence. Have you looked at them?"

Thomas rolls his shoulders back. "Of course I have."

As I look at them, the sight turns my stomach over. Their faces are discolored, covered with bruises. Jonas's and my aunt's eyes are swollen.

"Who did this?"

Thomas shoves his hands into his pockets, stepping alongside me. "I've already spoken to her."

"You knew about this?"

"Yes."

"This is how the rebels allow their prisoners to be treated?"

"They are the Society. Besides, isn't the Society doing worse to our people right now?"

"They are chained. They couldn't fight back."

"Isn't the Society doing worse to their prisoners? Do they care whether they're chained or not?"

I have nothing to say because I know he's right.

"The Society Marked us. You wouldn't let my people take their revenge?" I don't miss his use of my.

"As far as I know, none of these Amoris have ever Marked someone."

"They're still invading our planet."

"This is their home. It's been the Amoris' home for centuries. Long before you were even born on this planet."

"You need to distance yourself from them, Erik. Stop seeing them as your family. They are our prisoners. If you're here for the right reasons, they shouldn't matter to you any longer."

Jonas raises his head. The sleeve of his shirt is still rolled up. The white badge has spots of red.

"Did the Preeminence say anything to you?" Thomas asks Lila.

"We talked about Iris and what France is like."

"It's because of him you'll never get to see it." He flexes his hand. "You weren't supposed to leave our bunker."

Lila bites her lip and runs off, and Thomas turns to Jonas. "You'll refrain from telling my daughter fairytales."

"They're not fairytales." His voice is still hoarse.

"You're telling her stories of her cousin who wants nothing to do with her. You're telling her stories of a magical land she will never set foot in."

"You were the one who wanted nothing to do with your niece," Jonas bites out.