V.

Nothing. Time and time again he tried but his eyes remained closed. He relaxed his body and just listened.

"I gotta go, Bey." Ty said as soon as Beyoncé walked back into the room.

"Okay, I'll let you know if anything changes." Bey said and side hugged him.

Peyton was sitting on the small couch watching Doc McStuffins on her tablet. "You need to read a book." Bey joked.

She chuckled and sat in the chair next to Jay. She grabbed his hand and kissed it. "I'm still here."

Jay felt her again. She came back! She didn't give up on me. He thought.

Now all he wanted to do was open his eyes to see her. He wanted to make her happy but he felt like he had no control over his body. While he was straining to open his eyes he heard Bey scream.

"He moved his hand!" She yelled. "Come on, baby. Wake up for us."

Jay hadn't even realized he moved his hand. He focused his mind back on opening his eyes. He finally felt like he had enough strength to do it. Slowly he opened his eyes... He squinted trying to focus.

Everything was blurry. He blinked a few times and things started clearing up.

The first thing he saw was Beyoncé's gorgeous eyes. But, she was crying. Why was she crying?

He tried to touch her but his body was too weak. She reached to press the nurse button and came back to his side.

"Oh my god, Jay." She cried and hugged him.

Peyton perked up. "Da da?" She shimmied down from the couch and walked over to Bey. She wanted to be picked up so she could see what was going on.

"He's up, baby. Give him a minute."

Soon the nurse came in followed by the doctor, "Good morning, Mr. Carter." He greeted.

Jay just laid there. "We have to get you unhooked from these machines. If you have any pain, blink twice."

He didn't blink.

"Good. Let's get you taken care of."

**

"Now, you're all set. Drink this water and we'll have lunch brought up to you. Probably soup, or something easy to go down."

He nodded slightly. "Okay, I'll leave you to it."

They both left and shut the door behind them.

"Jay..." Bey started to tear up and he smiled.

"I'm good, Bey." He said in a raspy voice.

"Da da." Peyton said pouting and pointing at him.

Bey looked at Jay for confirmation and he nodded.

She placed Peyton next to him in bed. He smiled and kissed her cheek. "Da da!" She yelled

"Can you say anything else?" Bey said rolling her eyes.

She started babbling and Jay fake gasped. "You telling on Mommy?"

Bey stood back and enjoyed their interaction. She didn't know what she'd do if he didn't make it.

Instead of thinking about that, she thought positively. Look at God working.

Jay did the "come here" motion with his hand and she walked over to him. He didn't say anything he just held them close.