Shadow Yukiko Amagi and a past friend

3rd POV

Hitomi slowly opened her eyes, a familiar area coming to her vision. Hitomi sat across from a man with an unusual long nose and a woman with platinum-blonde hair. This is...

"Welcome to the Velvet Room" the man with the long nose, known as Igor, greeted. Hitomi silently sighed in her head, nodding hello. After using the contractors key for the first time yesterday, she had hoped to have entered the room the same way by her own will. Perhaps Igor is the one who summons her after all and she has no real say.

"You did a splendid job utilizing your power of the wild card" the woman next to Igor, known as Margaret, began; looking over to Hitomi. "Quite impressive. Glad to know my faith in you has not been misplaced." Despite Margaret's kind words, her face was covered with a blank expression, much like Hitomi's. A card, filled strange designs, descended in front of Margret; dissolving into her old book on her lap.

"In due time, I have no doubt that you will master the power of yet another newly formed bond. The Chariot Arcana" Margret said, almost sounding like a compliment. The old book glowed light blue, as if becoming one with the card, and Margret opened it up. There, in the middle of the book was a moving picture of Hitomi and Nise, talking while Nise showed the picture of his dog on his iPhone.

"I must admit" Margaret began as she looked over to Hitomi. "I'm rather curious as too how this power will shape your future." Margret closed the book, a serious look on her face.

"You seem to be troubled with questions. Feel free to ask them, but keep them brief. You will awaken soon, in the real world" Margret said curtly, causing Hitomi to flinch. It was true, Hitomi was rather curious about some things, and she wanted to ask them.

"If you don't mind" Hitomi began, straightening up. Her voice wasn't the same when she usually spoke- it seemed to have an echo. It was a bit startling, but Hitomi quickly shook it off. This was the Velvet Room- anything can happen. "What are Shadows?" Igor closed his eyes as if in deep thought. He let out a small chuckle, looking up at Hitomi with his grin widening.

"Wouldn't it be best to know from that small creature whom has helped you thus far?" Igor asked, as if teasing Hitomi. Hitomi stared at Igor for a moment before lowering her head slightly, her gray eyes locked with his small ones. This was her unconscious way of intimidating people, her eyes gaining a certain glare that made them seem so much more powerful than normal.

"Berry doesn't know enough about that other world. If you don't want to give me the full answer, then at least tell me a little. Please" Hitomi said firmly, causing Igor to chuckle.

"Shadows are human fears, doubts, and vicious impulses made manifest. They are what humans cannot accept on their own" Igor explained. "As you have already gathered, those who are present in the Midnight Channel have their fears summoned up into a single large Shadow. That Shadow will begin taunting their owner with their very existence until the target breaks down and releases their full power which is caused by the fear and denial of the Shadow's existence." Hitomi thought for a moment at the information provided before looking back at Igor.

"So then, Personas are Shadows that have been accepted and conquered by their owner?" Hitomi asked, wanting to know if her conclusion was correct.

"Precisely. Think of them as a façade of determination one wears to face various difficulties in life" Igor explained. Hitomi nodded slowly, taking in the new information given to her. Hitomi closed her eyes, taking in a deep breath through her nose. She had many more swirling questions in her mind, but seeing the way that Igor had answered her first one told Hitomi that she'll have to find the answer for herself. Margaret refocused her irritancy towards Hitomi.