Looks

Keith stared at Lance, the blue paladin fast asleep on the sofa in Keith's room, right across from his bed. The red paladin was currently curled up in his bed, blankets wrapped around him and his head rested on the soft pillow. Keith sighed and sat up, figuring Lance must be uncomfortable and cold. He grabbed his extra pillow and blanket and climbed out of his bed.

Carefully, Keith lifted Lance's head, then gently placed him on the pillow. Then he lay the blanket over his fellow paladin. Lance hummed in his sleep, curling in on himself and grasping the blanket. Keith smiled at how relaxed and peaceful Lance looked. It truly was a rare sight for Lance to be so calm and peaceful.

However, Keith drew his attention away from Lance, averting it to his hands. He began to shake as he studied his hands. They were purple and furry, his nails long and sharp.

Hesitantly, Keith made his way to his bathroom. Almost terrified of what he was going to see, Keith closed his eyes as he faced the mirror.

"Keith?"

Said paladin jumped. "Lance? I'm just-" he opened his eyes. Cold chills shot up Keith's spine as he gasped, yellow eyes widening.

"Keith!?" Lance shouted this time, leaping off the couch and rushing into the bathroom. He paused, spotting Keith trembling as he stared at himself. "Keith..."

"Wha..?" Keith took an unsteady step backwards, tears burning his yellow eyes. "What's happened to me..? What am I?" His voice cracked, unable to tear his gaze away from his mirror self.

That is, until Lance stepped right in front of him, blocking his view. Keith jumped, looking up at the stern, but sad, expression on Lance's face. "Not 'what.' 'Who.' You're Keith. Okay? It doesn't matter what you look like, alright? You're Keith, always have been and always will be. Keith Kogane."

Keith felt his ears flatten and tears soak the fur on his cheeks. "But... Why are you suddenly being so nice!?" Keith shouted, stepping away from Lance. "Do you pity me!? I don't want your fucking pity!"

Lance sighed, then raised his arms as if wanting a hug. Like hell am I going to give him a hug! "I told you... I care about you..." Keith's sneer dropped. "Look, I know..." Lance scratched behind his head, looking away. "I know I keep trying to fight you and make you angry, but... I just... I didn't want to accept that I truly cared for you. And I didn't want anyone to know that I did. Keith... When I surprised you in the training room the other night, I wanted to talk to you about it... I guess..." Lance looked back up at Keith. "I guess this is just me trying to make up for being an ass to you all this time."

Keith stared up at Lance, shocked, confused... Warm... He couldn't tear his gaze away from Lance's gentle eyes. His shock only grew more when Lance smiled at him. "That's also why I don't care that you look like this. I'm just worried that the others won't so easily accept you. I mean," Lance looked into Keith's bedroom, "Shiro was abducted and held captive by Galra for a whole year, Pidge's family was also abducted and is still held captive. Allura and Coran's entire race was killed by Galrans, but... I think that, other than me, Hunk will be more accepting of you, but will still have a little trouble with this."

"Y-yeah..." Keith looked down, his cheeks feeling warm. "I suppose... Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The red paladin dared to glance up at Lance, and his blush only darkened. Lance was smiling. Not the normal Lance grin or smirk, but probably the kindest smile anyone has ever turned in his direction.

And Lance smiled so kindly when Keith looked just like their enemy. Keith bit back tears.

A comfortable silence drew over them as they stared right into each other's eyes. Lance was a little confused as to where exactly Keith was looking since his entire eye was yellow, but he managed.

A knock on Keith's door made them both jump.

"Lance? Keith?"

"Shiro!" Lance shouted, stumbling out of the bathroom. The door to the bathroom shut behind him, leaving Keith alone in the small space. "Yo, man!"

"Where's Keith?"

"Bathroom."

"How is he?"

"Doing much better! No fever or nothin'. But I didn't check to see if he still hurt. I haven't asked. But he got some rest and he's not sick."

There was a pause afterwards.

"Alright," Shiro finally breathed out. "Thank you for taking care of him, Lance. You're a real teammate."

Lance snickered. "When am I not?"

Keith rolled his eyes and pictured Shiro giving Lance one of his 'Dad stares.' This made him smile slightly, even as he looked at himself in the mirror.

Shiro sighed. "I hope you feel up to your full strength soon, Keith," the black paladin called.

"Thanks," Keith murmured, loud enough to be heard by the other two paladins. He hoped he'd be at his full strength soon, too... And not while looking like this. Keith raised his fingers to touch the fur on his cheeks, frowning.

"Don't give yourself such a patronizing glare."

Keith gasped and jumped, whipping around to face Lance. "Lance!" I didn't hear the door open. I didn't hear Shiro leave.

Lance scowled, and grabbed Keith's hand. He tugged the smaller paladin out of the bathroom and shut the door. "There's no way I'm going to let you hate yourself because of how you look, because the way I see it is... You're not different at all. You look different, sure, but you're still Keith. Now lay down and get some rest. I'll bring you some food goo. And before you protest, you are going to eat. I'm going to sit in here and watch you eat. You ate hardly anything yesterday."

Keith looked down at his feet, nodding. He then gasped in surprise as he was pulled into an embrace. Keith tilted his head back to look up at Lance. "Lance?"

"You're the closest thing I've got to home..." Lance whispered, burying his nose in Keith's hair. "I'll be damned if I lose you."

"Lance..." Keith gripped the cloth of Lance's shirt and leaned into the blue paladin's warmth. "I have no where to go..."