Fault

Keith stood in front of the only activated pod, his eyes downcast. He hugged Lance's coat to his chest and held the hood to his sensitive nose. Keith closed his eyes and deeply inhaled through his nose. Keith finally looked back up.

The pod showed no signs of progress.

The red paladin sighed and looked back down. He stepped forward and leaned on the pod. "Lance... Why aren't you healing? Why isn't the pod healing you? I just want to talk to you... Tell you I'm sorry and that I love you... I love you..." Tears stung Keith's eyes as he nuzzled Lance's coat. "I love you so much, Lance..." His voice cracked and tears soaked the fur on his cheeks. "So much that it hurts... You're beautiful and kind and you protected me even when I told you I hated you..." Keith sobbed softly and sank to his knees, forehead still pressed to the pod. "I love you... I love you, I love you, I love you... Yet, no matter how many times I say it, I won't be able to take back saying that I hate you..."

He curled around the coat, sobbing quietly. "I'm so... so sorry... This is all my fault..."

~

Pidge cursed repeatedly as they defended the castle from a fleet of Galran fighters. "These things keep coming out of nowhere!"

Shiro looked over his shoulder to Allura. "We need to jump! We don't have the defence we need with Lance still in the pod!"

"I'm working on it!" Allura shouted.

Thace stepped and and pointed to a gap in the Galran fighters. "Through there! That planet has a gravity,force that will practically throw you through space so you can get speed on them and activate a wormhole!"

Allura nodded and quickly did as Thace suggested. Everyone held tight as the ship lurched and picked up speed too quickly. Allura activated a wormhole and entered, but they weren't quite fast enough.

Everyone shouted as the ship jerked and shook, explosions lining the side of the ship. Once out the wormhole, the ship slowed to a soft hover and the lights flickered.

Allura pulled up the castle systems as Coran panicked at the red flashing screens on his dash. "We're losing power rapidly! We must land!"

Keith jerked his head up, eyes wide. "The medical bay! What about the medical bay!?"

Coran flicked through the red screens, then whipped around to face Allura. "The medical bay took a hit! Avert power to the medical bay until we land!"

The paladins shot out of their seats and dashed out. Keith ran as fast as he could and burst into the medical bay. Lance's pod still stood, but Lance was on the floor. "Lance!" Keith cried, launching himself over to the blue paladin. "Lance, Lance!" He fell to his knees and gathered Lance in his arms.

Shiro knelt on the other side of Lance and helped Keith stand him up. "Get him back in the pod, Allura is averting power in the bay."

Keith nodded, keeping Lance standing until the pod activates. Lance's breathing was shallow and low, his brow furrowed. He groaned and twitched, eyes scrunched in pain. Keith reached up with the hand that wasn't supporting Lance and cupped his cheek. "Lance..." He murmured, brushing Lance's lengthy hair out of his face.

The blue paladin's eye fluttered and cracked open. "K... Keith?" he breathed out.

Keith's breath hitched and tears gathered in his eyes. "I'm- I'm right here, Lance."

Lance panted, closing his eye. "It... Hurts..."

Keith nodded, running his thumb under Lance's eye. "I-I know... I know, but the pod will close soon and you'll be better." Keith bit his lip to keep back tears. "You'll be alright."

Lance slowly bobbed his head up and down, shaking slightly.

Shiro cursed under his breath and pressed his prosthetic against Lance's abdomen. Lance cried out in agony, causing Keith to flinch and whimper. "Falling out of the pod must have opened his wound. He's bleeding again. Pidge, Hunk, go find out why the bay still has no power!"

The two paladins nodded and hurried out. Lance panted, sweat beginning to bead his forehead. Keith leaned over and up into the pod, pressing his lips to Lance's cheek. Lance leaned his head against Keith's, his breathing ragged and harsh. Keith felt himself begin to shake. "I... I'm so, so sorry," he whispered, threading his fingers through Lance's soft hair. "I'm sorry..."

Lance coughed weakly and shook his head. "'S not... your fault..."

Keith shook his head, pulling away slightly. "It is... It's my fault..."

The blue paladin went to protest, but his body jerked and coughed harshly. Keith jumped, heart racing as his eyes widened. Shiro held Lance tighter.

Red spattered from Lance's mouth, dotting his bottom lip and Shiro's shoulder.

"Fuck!" Shiro shouted pushing Keith away. "Stay back! I've gotta cauterize the wound!"

"What!?" Keith cried, already trying to pry Shiro away. "No, he's already in enough pain!"

Shiro shrugged Keith off and his prosthetic began to glow. Lance screamed as his wound burned, grabbing the edge of the pod and Shiro's arm as he tried desperately to get away.

Keith chocked, his stomach lurching and tears falling from his wide eyes. Shiro pulled his hand away, then covered his nose with the crook of his arm as Lance passed out. Shiro managed to stop the bleeding, but the stench of burned flesh was something he never got used to.

Keith covered his mouth and clutched his stomach. He pulled Lance's coat tighter around himself.

A few of the lights in the bay began to flicker and glow. The pod whirred on and began to close. Shiro pulled away just before the pod closed on him and sighed. "I'm sorry... I had to, Keith..." He cautiously approached the younger paladin, then wrapped his flesh arm around Keith. Keith was pulled into Shiro's chest, his breathing pitched and panicky. Shiro squeezed Keith's shoulders. "I had to... He's healing now, Keith... He'll be okay, I promise."