Family

Lance gripped Keith's hand as he swiveled his head around. Lae flickered and glowed as he searched the crowd.

"Mom!"

Keith and Lance whipped their heads around to see the youngest paladin. Pidge sobbed as she embraced her mother, Samuel and Matthew joining in as they sank to the floor.

Hunk also was drowned in family members not too far away.

Lance gulped, then stretched onto his toes. "I can't... I don't..." He murmured. Keith felt Lance's hands get clammy and shaky. "Where... Where?"

"Mijó!"

The blue paladin swiveled around, releasing Keith's hand. "Mamá!" He cried and started moving through the crowd. "Mamá!"

"Lance, ¿dónde estás?"

"¡Aquí!"

Keith hurried after Lance until Lance stopped. Keith peeked over Lance's shoulder. A woman stood there, hands over her chest and tears streaking her dark skin. "Mijó..." She whispered and her arms opened.

Lance sobbed and launched himself at her. "Mamá... I missed you... I missed you so so much..."

She nodded, holding him close. "I missed you too, baby boy." She reached up and carded her fingers through his hair. Lance pulled away to look at her, and grinned. Her eyes saddened as her fingers brushed over Lae. "Mijó, what is this?"

Lance frowned and looked away. Keith gulped, tugging on the ends of his sleeves. "I... I don't wanna talk about it, mom..."

She nodded and pulled him back down. "It's okay, niño. You don't have to."

"Lance!"

The blue paladin yelped as he was abruptly tackled, falling to the floor. Two small children and four older people, maybe around Lance's age or older. "Guys!" Lance gasped, then laughed and tried hugging all of them at once.

Keith relaxed and smiled. Lance's mother looked up caught his eye. She smiled and waved. He returned a short wave.

She circled around her children and went up to him. She took Keith's hands and he jolted. She smiled. "My name is Rosa. You must be one of the paladins." Keith nodded. Rosa's grin widened and she squeezed Keith's hands as more tears filled her coffee brown eyes. "Thank you."

"For what?"

Rosa gently pulled him into an embrace. "You were out there with him. He wasn't alone. He's home safe and sound. Thank you... Thank you." Keith swallowed thickly, tentatively returning her embrace.

~

Lance kept Keith close the rest of the day, but gave all of his attention to his family. They toured the castle, they went and ate at a Mexican restaurant. Lance introduced Keith to all off his siblings, and the younger two loved him. His right hand was occupied by Lance, and his left hand would be switched from Mateo to Annie.

"I wanna go home." Lance murmured as the sun began to set over the horizon. "I wanna see the house, the land, all our animals and pa."

Rosa took his unoccupied hand and smiled. "Of course, mijó."

Keith tugged on the hand he had. "Lance... Maybe we should ask how long we're staying, first. We have to go back eventually."

Lance sighed and nodded, his head lowering. "Yeah..."

"I'm sorry, but-" Keith started, but Rosa waved her hand.

"It's okay, Keith." She grinned and cupped Lance's face. "Mí Mijó a defender of the universe. I'm so proud. You're so strong and brave. I always knew you would do something great and wonderful. I just wish I could come with you."

Lance smiled and took her hands. "Me too, Mamá. It's just very dangerous out there with the Galran Empire."

"But you'd keep mamá safe, hermano!" Mateo piped up. Lance laughed and ruffled his hair.

"I would." Lance chuckled. "I'd bring you too, but I don't think Allura wants more of me running around. She annoyed with me enough as is."

Mateo grinned and gave Lance his finger guns. Lance laughed. "That's exactly what I mean! You do that to Allura and she'll go ballistic!" Mateo giggled.

Keith smiled, content with watching Lance with his family.

~

Shiro sighed, glancing over his shoulder to Allura. "What do you think? Is it safe to stay for just one more quintent?"

Allura looked up to Lance, his blue eye pleading. She sighed and looked away. "Just one. One more quintent, then you come straight here and we have to leave." Lance cheered and threw his arms around Keith. "I shouldn't even allow you more tik here."

Lance laughed and squeezed her shoulders. "Thank you! Thank you so, so much... You're my favorite princess in the whole wide universe!"

Keith and Allura both rolled their eyes as Shiro chuckled. "Well," Shiro mused as he gave a short wave. "I'll go tell Katie that she has an extra day. If I see Hunk, I'll tell him, too."