Friends

"What is that?" Pidge adjusted her glasses and squinted at the screen. Everyone else looked up as well.

"What are you talking about?" Allura searched the screen for whatever Pidge asked about.

The little paladin groaned and got closer. "That! That small... Thing that's getting closer! What is that?"

Allura hummed and zoomed in on the nearing object. "Oh... It's a Galra escape pod. What is one doing just floating out here?"

Hunk narrowed his eyes, studying the ship. "What are we going to do about it?"

"Let them pull up a call."

The Paladins and Alteans all glanced over their shoulders to Commander Holt. Samuel stepped forward. "It's an escape pod. What Galra uses an escape pod to attack the Castle of Lions? The pods have no means of defense or offence. Let them pull up a call."

Allura nodded. "Alright. We will wait for a call. They should call any tic now with how close they've gotten."

They all stood and waited, silence almost piercing until the screen flickered and a Galran commander's face spread across the screen.

Everyone gasped and jolted back except for Keith and Samuel.

"I am Galran Commander Thace, surrendering to the Castle of Lions. I request for permission to land."

Keith's ears twitched and flicked back, then he looked up at Samuel. The old man was actually smiling as he stepped forward. He stopped beside Allura and leaned over to whisper in her ear.

The Princess furrowed her brows then lowly questioned Samuel. The Commander nodded and Allura turned back to face Thace. "Permission granted."

Hunk and Lance turned their wide eyes to Allura as the screen flickered again and Thace vanished.

"You're allowing a Galra on the ship!?" Hunk shouted, complete disbelief on his face.

Pidge stepped back from her station and looked up at her dad. "Daddy, are you sure it's okay to let him on board?"

Samuel chuckled, stepping down. "Of course, Katie. Princess, where with Commander Thace be landing?"

"Uhm..." Allura clicked around the board in front of her. "Hangar bay two."

Samuel nodded. "Thank you, Princess. I will go greet our guest."

As Samuel began to exit, Keith hurried out after him. Once the doors shut, Keith spoke up. "How do you know if my father is the same as he was on Earth? What if he's changed? What if he's pulling an act?"

Samuel laughed, hands in his pockets. "Thace is complicated to understand. He's an odd person- from a human's view- but he's very trustworthy to those that he truly cares for. He can never lie to them. Your mother... He loved her so much that he couldn't lie about sticking his nose in the cookie jar. Thace told her everything. He told me everything. He told you everything. You just don't remember." Keith looked down, but still walked alongside Samuel. "You father is good. I can guarantee you, he is the only Galra you will ever meet with good morals and a kind heart."

A small smile made its way to Keith face. "Thank you, sir."

"Just call me Samuel, son." He chuckled and pat Keith's back. "Come with me to see him. I'm sure he'd love it." Keith nodded and they both picked up their pace to get to the hangar.

Samuel rushed in and Thace was already out the door and in the hallway. "Keith?" He asked, furrowing his brows. "I... Didn't think you'd want to see me?"

Keith looked down. "I didn't see why I couldn't."

Thace smiled, then looked at Samuel. "Thank you for convincing the Princess to let me in. I owe you." He held out his hand.

Samuel raised a brow and crossed his arms. "You old lug, you don't recognize me?" Thace blinked, eyes widening. "I thought you said that Galran's have a memory similar to their prisons. Damn unbreakable. I think I've proved both wrong."

Thace lowered his hand, squinting. "You..." His eyes then shot wide open and he grinned, flashing off his fangs. "Sam!" He shouted and threw his arms around the smaller man. "Sam, old friend! I heard you had escaped the prisons! I thought you would have returned to Earth!"

Samuel laughed, patting Thace's back. "I would have, but there is no way in hell I'm leaving my little girl drifting through space in a castle filled with teenage boys. Although I'm sure Keith and Shiro wouldn't allow anyone to touch her in a way she doesn't like."

Keith shrugged. "I think she could do that on her own and the only one that would try is Lance, but he only sees her as a little sister."

Samuel chuckled. "That is true. Lance is a good lad, but I hear stories of how he flirted with an alien girl and got his lion snatched."

Thace snorted and Keith sighed. "Yes."

"You were the one that had to retrieve his lion, right?"

"Yes, I was." Keith nodded. "He was cuffed to a tree on a moon, and he still didn't learn his lesson."

Samuel chuckled, reaching up to pat Thace's shoulder. "You must be proud of Keith. Went from being the fattest baby I've ever seen to the red paladin of Voltron."

Keith grumbled under his breath and blushed, turning away.

Thace hummed and reached over, placing his hand on Keith's shoulder. "I'm proud beyond words."

Keith couldn't help the little smile that curled his lips.

~

Keith gasped, sitting up in bed. He panted heavily, gripping the sheets. "Lance..." He muttered, then leapt out of bed. "Lance!" Keith shouted and ran out of his room into the hallway. "Lance!"

The red paladin ran to the blue paladin's door and hit it with his palm. "Lance!"

The door slid open, a frazzled Lance on the other side. "What!? What's-!" He gasped and yelped, Keith leaping onto him. Lance lost his balance and flung his arms about, trying to grab onto something, but failed. He grunted as his back collided with the floor and thanked every God ever worshipped that he accidentally threw his pillow in that spot when he was abruptly woken. "Keith?"

Keith fisted Lance's pajama shirt and tucked his face in Lance's chest. He tried calming his breathing and rapidly pounding heart as he breathed in the blue paladin's scent.

"You're shaking." Lance muttered, placing his hands on Keith's upper back. "What's the matter?" Keith shook his head, keeping his grip on Lance's shirt. Lance sighed as he felt the fabric over his chest become wet with tears. "Hey, why don't we get on my bed? It's probably a lot more comfortable than this floor."

"O-okay..." Keith nodded and sat up.

Lance pushed himself up to sit. He leaned closer and raise his hand. Gently, he brushed Keith's bangs out of his face and pressed his lips to Keith's temple. "Keith, what's got you so worked up? Another nightmare?" Keith hesitated before nodding. Lance sighed and stood. He helped Keith to his feet then lead him over to the bed.

The door automatically shut with no one in its sensors, so the room became dark.

The two paladins laid down, Keith nuzzled against Lance and was wrapped in his arms. Lance rubbed circles into Keith's back with his thumb and hummed a soft tune. Keith steadily relaxed, half-lidded eyes focused on the steady rhythm of Lance's chest as he breathed.

"I... Want to know..." Keith whispered, closing his eyes and nestling closer. His ears relaxed back on his head as he listened to Lance hum in question. "What happened... In the battle... What really happened to your eye?"