Kitten

Lance chuckled softly as he sat on his bed, eyes fondly gazing upon Keith.

Keith raised his brow and glanced over his shoulder. "What?"

The blue paladin shrugged and shuffled out of the bed. "Nothing, kitten." Keith rolled his eyes and grabbed his shirt. Before he could pull the fabric on, Lance's warm hands we're placed on Keith's waist and caressed his pale skin. He sighed softly and leaned back into Lance. "I just can't stop thinking about you or how damn cute you are."

"'Cute?'" Keith quoted. "Is that why you're suddenly calling me kitten?"

"Kinda." Lance mused and pressed his nose against the cup of Keith's fluffy ear. "I guess I'm calling you kitten because of your adorable ears and your fierce attitude." Keith's ears twitched. Lance leaned his head down and pressed his lips to Keith's neck. "I just have one question. It's been bugging me since we found out, but... Why didn't you tell me? Why did only Pidge know?"

Keith looked down, ears flattening. "She was there when he told me to choose. I didn't want anyone else to know until I decided, even though I wanted to tell you. When I decided I was going with the Galra to protect everyone, I knew I shouldn't have told anyone because you were going to try and convince me to stay and it would have been so much harder to leave. I know that I should have told you, but... I just wanted to keep you safe. I don't ever want you so close to death in my arms ever again."

Lance breathed in deeply. "I'm sorry... I shouldn't have been so angry with you... You were just doing what you had to do."

"But you didn't know that. I don't blame your anger, I just wish I had told you so... I broke your heart. I hurt you while I was trying to protect you."

Lance shifted and turned Keith around to face him. "It happens. People get hurt while they're being protected all the time." Lance smiled and cupped Keith's face in both his hands. "I'm okay, Keith. Pidge is okay, Hunk's okay, Shiro is semi-okay," Keith chuckled, "and you're okay. Good things came out of you breaking my heart. You met your dad, you saved Pidge's family and a whole Galran prison. You and I are stronger than ever."

Keith nodded. "Yeah." He leaned in and pecked Lance's lips. "We should probably finish getting dressed."

Lance scrunched up his nose and leaned back, eye flicking up and down to observe Keith's bare torso. "Nah, I think you'll be fine without a shirt."

The red paladin raised a brow. "No shirt?" Lance nodded. "Hell no." The blue paladin pouted and whined. "I don't want everyone to stare at all the hickeys you gave me last night."

"I like them."

"I know you do. Thats why I'm trying to put my shirt on."

"You're so mean..."

~

Keith greeted a sleepy Hunk as he sat at the table with his plate of breakfast goo. Samuel and Thace quietly conversed as other passengers on the ship sluggishly ate.

Thace glanced over his shoulder at Keith and chuckled. "I almost didn't recognize you, Keith."

The paladin furrowed his brows and took a bite of his goo. "How?"

The Galran tapped his nose. "By your scent." Both Samuel and Keith we're puzzled, the older of the two trying to piece together what his old friend was saying. "You smell just like Lance."

Keith stared for a moment while the dots connected in Samuel's head. "Oh, sh-!" Samuel broke out into a fit of laughter and slapped his knee. Keith was still deeply confused.

Thace laughed softly at his son and reached over to ruffle his hair between his ears. "Keith, my boy, I think you've inherited much more from me than your mother would have liked. She hated how long it took me to understand things."

Samuel was bent over, trying to muffle his boisterous laughter. Keith now had no question as to where Pidge got her humor from.

"I don't get it..." Keith grumbled. Thace sighed.

"Okay, so your heat started yesterday." Keith nodded, scooping up more goo. "You were with Lance, correct?" Keith confirmed with a short hum as he took another bite. "He clearly scented you without realizing. His scent is all over you. Anyone with a nose as good as ours can smell Lance all over you."

Keith chocked and gagged on the goo, his face reddening. Samuel howled in laughter, both his children confused at their father when they step in the dining area. Keith sucked in deep breaths and covered his face with his gloved hands. "Quiznak..." Keith groaned, trying to decide which was worse.

His father pointing out he had sex with Lance, or Pidge screaming it to the whole team?

Both were pretty bad. Both were terrible, in fact.

"Shit..."

~

"Lance!" Keith stumbled back, trying to dodge a blast. "Hey! I thought you had my back!?"

"I do, kitten!" Lance shouted back, blocking and returning fire. "One slipped by me, but I got it!" He glanced over his shoulder and winked. "Won't happen again. Promise."

Keith smiled in return, then they both focused on the drones and reaching the other three paladins. Keith grunted as his shoulder was shoved and a shock tingled that side of his body. "Quiznak!" He yelped and fell through the floor.

~

"What the hell!" Keith stomped up to Lance as the blue paladin was conversing with Ceila. Lance looked up at Keith and grinned. That pissed Keith off more. "Damnit, Lance!" Keith snapped and shoved Lance.

"Whoa, kitten! What was-" Lance started, shocked by Keith's sudden anger.

The red paladin jabbed a finger at Lance's chest. "Right after you promise I won't get shot at, I'm shot!" Keith glared up at Lance into his wide, good eye. "How can I trust you on the battleground if you can't even hold me up in training?"

Lance jolted. "Hey, whoa, what's that supposed to mean!?"

All heads were now turned in their direction, confused as to why they were yelling. It wasn't a regular occurance anymore.

Keith groaned, his arms dropping by his side. "I couldn't trust that petty promise-"

"What the hell?" Lance grabbed Keith's shoulders. "Where is this coming from? Did I do something to upset you? If I did, I'm sorry, babe."

Keith scoffed and crossed his arms. "I doubt you're sorry you talk to Ceila on a daily basis."

"Oh, shit." Pidge muttered, not too far off. "Hell's about to go down."

"Language." Samuel whispered to his daughter, who only shrugged, but kept his eyes on the arguing paladins.

"What?" Lance furrowed his brows and released Keith's shoulders. Ceila seemed very puzzled as she tried to figure out why that would make Keith upset. "Keith, the hell? I wouldn't-"

"Like hell!" Keith stepped back. "You're always hanging out with her!"

"Because she's a friend!"

"That you find attractive!" Keith slapped Lance's hands as the blue paladin reached for him. "I can't trust you in battle, and with you always being with her, I'm not sure I could trust you with our relationship!"

The training deck fell silent. Keith glared up at wide eyed Lance.

Pidge gulped and stepped closer. "Guys, this isn't-"

"Fine." Lance ground out, his expression hardening. "We're being honest, right? I call you kitten because you've gotten weak."

"Lance!" Shiro shouted from across the deck. It was Keith's turn to be surprised.

"How can I trust you in battle if all you know to do is yell and scream at me?" Lance folded his arms over his chest, Shiro weaving through people as he made his way over. "I can't have your back if you don't have mine. You can't trust me? Fine. I just thought that I could trust you." Lance turned on his toes and stormed out, completely furious.

"Wait!" Ceila cried and ran after him. "Lance, wait! What's going on!?"

The doors slid shut after she left, Keith left frozen in the middle of the deck, the other paladins rushing to him. What did I just do...?