Healing

Allura made a rough landing on the nearest friendly planet. She ran out with Coran, Hunk, and Pidge as quickly as she could.

"I tried landing as near to their castle as possible! The Danrusians are a peaceful people that excel in healing!"  Allura explained as rapidly as she could. "We need to make peace as soon as possible and ask them to help us heal Lance!"

Hunk and Pidge nodded.

Once they were outside, they were greeted by several Danrusians.

Their skins were all pale, a variety of color, and all wore white clothing.

The tallest stepped forward. "Why have you come to Danru? We do not wish for war."

Allura bowed. "We do not seek war. We seek refuge. I am Princess Allura of Altea and this is my castle."

The tall Danrusian's eyes widened. "The Voltron Princess."

Whispers flittered amongst the crowd and the people began to bow. The tall one stepped forward and took Allura's hand. "What brings Voltron to our home?"

Pidge stepped forward. "We need your help. The blue lion's paladin, Lance, he's been hurt terribly. Our healing pods stopped him from dying, but they're not healing him. Our ship was just damaged in the battle and we have little power. Our medical bay crashed and now-"

"You wish for us to heal the blue paladin. The Gaurdian of Water." The Danrusian whispered in awe. "Bring him out quickly. My people and I will heal him."

~

Keith paced back and forth, tugging Lance's coat tightly around him.

Pidge cleaned Shiro's prosthetic, trying not to breathe in the stench as they waited for news.

Hunk sat hunched over, bouncing his leg. Allura and Coran stood nearby, heads and voices low.

Pidge kept hold of Shiro's hand once finished. "What happened after we left?"

Keith paused and Shiro sighed. "His wound opened... Then he started coughing blood. I didn't know how much longer it was going to take, so I cauterized it. He passed out and the bay started working again. Well, working as best as it could after being so severely damaged."

Hunk's breathing hitched and he looked up. "How much longer? I thought the Danrusians were expert healers? If so, why isn't Lance healed!?"

Allura reached over and lay her hand on Hunk's shoulder. "Patience, Hunk... Lance was severely injured. They can't just blink and he'll be good as new."

The yellow paladin nodded and rubbed his face. "Yeah... Yeah, I know... I just- he's my friend friend. We've been best friends since we were little. After meeting him for the first time when we were five, we've been inseparable, kinda. It was weird when we weren't hanging out or leaving stupid notes with terrible grammar in the bush we always met by when we were little." Hunk carded his fingers through his dark hair, tears building in his eyes. "We were always there for each other, no matter how ridiculous he got or how panicky I was. If he dies... I don't- I don't know what I'm going to do."

"We're all worried," Coran murmured, looking over his shoulder at the small building they stood by. "We're all scared. However, Lance is strong. He will be okay."

Keith turned and looked over the horizon. The sun slowly set, casting vibrant blues and pinks across the cloudy sky and dark shadows across the ground. The breeze rustled his hair and clothes, so he closed his eyes and breathed in the air. The air on Dunru was different than earths. It tasted and smelled sweet and clean. Keith sighed and lowered his head, tugging on the ends of the sleeves. He raised the collar of the coat to his nose and breathed in.

Lance's scent was beginning to fade.

~

Keith was done. Done waiting, done worrying, done thinking up the worst possible scenarios.

"That's it!" He shouted and stood up. Everyone's heads whipped in his direction.

The sun had long since set, leaving the sky a dark violet with pearly white stars and three moons glimmering in the sky.

Keith stomped over to the door. "I'm tired of sitting by and waiting!" He snapped and reached out for the door handle.

However, before he could touch it, the door began to creak open. Keith and the others froze up. The tall Dunrusian -whom they learned was named Lythan- opened the door with a soft smile on his face. "The blue paladin wishes to see the red one."

Everyone lurched to their feet, eyes wide. "Lance is okay!?" Pidge gasped, taking hold of Shiro's arm.

Lythan hummed and nodded. "Yes, he will be. He just needs a few quintents of rest and proper meals. I would suggest not allowing him to pilot for at least three quintents because our medical treatment may leave him disoriented." The paladins and Alteans all relaxed. "However," then they tensed. "We could do nothing for his eye. I am deeply sorry."

"Oh!" Pidge snorted, then covered her mouth. "That's okay. He's been like that for a few months and I made him a cooler eye. Don't worry about it."

Lythan tilted his head, wondering where the amusement was in that, but shrugged and stood to the side. "Follow me, red paladin."

Keith tentatively nodded and stepped inside. Lythan lead him down a short hallway and into a small room. Lance lay on the single bed tucked in a corner under a window. The moons and stars cast a soft, silvery glow over Lance's skin.

Lythan closed the door, leaving Keith and Lance alone.

The red paladin's hands started to tremble and sweat as he cautiously made his way over. A fresh wrap of bandages wrapped around his head and even covered his left eye. His left arm was also wrapped and Keith wondered why. Must have been from when he fell out of the pod...

Keith sat on the edge of the bed and took Lance's hand. Lance shifted and sighed softly as he began to wake. "Lance?" Keith whispered, holding the taller paladin's hand to his chest while his other hand cupped Lance's cheek.

"Keith?" Lance's eye fluttered as his brow furrowed. "Keith, I'm sorry..." He breathed out, voice sounding tired.

The red paladin raked his fingers gently over Lance's scalp. "For what?"

Lance hummed, eye drifting shut. "For... That drone shooting... You in training, and... And talkin' to... To Ceila..." Keith wilted and squeezed Lance's hand. "I'm sorry... For yellin'... I didn't mean it..."

Keith leaned over and shifted to be able to rest his head on Lance's chest. His ears perked and twitched as they listened to the soft, rhythmic beating of Lance's heart. "Don't be sorry. I should be sorry. It was stupid of me to yell at you and you yelled because you were upset. I shouldn't have gotten angry over such a stupid little thing or accuse you of cheating." As Keith spoke, Lance tangled his fingers through his hair and pet Keith's ear with his thumb. "I shouldn't have said 'I hate you'... I love you, Lance... I love you so much... I don't know what I would do without you."

The blue paladin chuckled softly. "Not much," he mused, earning a soft pinch. "I love you, too... Can I still call you 'kitten?'" Keith nodded. "I'm glad."

Keith lay still, just listening to Lance's heartbeat. Lance's thumb caressed the back of his hand and his other thumb massaged Keith's ear. "Don't tell Pidge I told you this," Keith started, shifting slightly, "but she cried because she was so worried about you."

Lance huffed then began to laugh. Keith smiled, nuzzling Lance's chest. Lance's laugh was his favorite sound out of the billions of sounds throughout the known universe.