Chapter 18: Long Rode Ahead

In the hotel, Bella fell asleep again and woke up around 1pm with Hotch calling Morgan's phone.
"It's my phone" Morgan said sitting up on the bed as Bella got a bit closer to Penelope.
"Hello?" Derek said.

"How is she?" Hotch asked.

"Hanging there" Morgan said standing up and walking to the window.

"I just talked to the doctor that saw her and she needs a bandage change before we can go back to DC. So I scheduled one for 3:30 and we're leaving at 5 if everything goes okay" Hotch said.

"Okay. I'll take her" Derek said.

"Okay. Anything just call" Hotch said and they hung up.

"Who was it?" Penelope asked.

"Hotch" Derek said. "She has a little check-up at 3:30 today" he said laying back down.

"I don't wanna go back to the hospital" Bella said with tears in her eyes and a low voice.

"We'll be right there with you and it will be really fast and then we'll go home" Derek said.
"You're gonna fly on the jet with us" he said with a small smile.

"I am?" Bella asked serious.

"Yeah" he smiled.
She moved closer to him and he wrapped her in his arms.
They watched some tv till it was time to go.
Derek carried the girl outside and suddenly Reid opened his hotel room door. Bella tightened her arms around Derek and hid her face on his neck.

"Hi. I was just about to go see you" Reid said and Bella looked up again, relieved it was just him. "Are you going somewhere?" He asked, his eyes were red from crying.

"She has a little check-up before we can go to DC" Garcia said.

"Oh. I got her this" Reid said holding up a navy blue winter coat. "It said it would snow on the weather channel" he said.

"Thanks Spencer" Penelope smiled. She looked at Bella and said "let's put it on, bunny?"
Derek put the girl down and Penelope helped her put it on.
"That looks perfect" Garcia smiled at Bella, even though the coat looked a bit big on the girl.
Bella just stayed quiet and went to Derek again so he picked her up.

"Let's go?" Derek asked.

"Yeah yeah." Penelope said. "We'll see you later Spencer" Garcia said and they left.
Reid went back inside and sat to read.

CMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCMCM

The drive to the hospital was quiet.
They sat on the back of the cab and Bella wouldn't let go of Morgan. She was scared of going back there.
The taxi dropped them off at the hospital entrance and Hotch was there.

"Hi" Hotch said when they got to him. Bella was waking right between them and holding their hands.

"The doctor will call her right up" Hotch said and they walked in.
Penelope went to the front desk while Derek sat in the waiting room with Bella on his lap.
There were a few kids playing as they all waited at the clinic.

"408" the front desk lady told Penelope. "The doctor will be right there"
Penelope went and told Derek and they went to the doctor's office. Derek put Bella on the exam table and stood next to her.

"Do you wanna take your coat off?" Derek asked and she shook her head no. She pulled him close and rested her head on his chest. He wrapped her in a hug. "It's gonna be okay, baby girl" he said.
Penelope grabbed her hand and they stayed there waiting for the doctor.

After a while Doctor Clark walked in.

"You're still working?" Penelope asked.

"Double shift" the doctor said. "Hi Bella" she smiled at the girl who just looked away. "She looks better" she told Derek. "Has she eaten anything?" She asked.