Chapter 50: Small Steps Big Achievements

Emily held Bella for a while and then they went out of the room to have breakfast. When they walked out Derek was on his way there again.
"Good morning" Derek said smiling proudly at Emily.

"Good morning" Emily said with a confused look. She didn't know why he was smiling like that. Bella walked to Derek and hugged him.

"There are some pancakes waiting for you" he smiled and let go of the hug.
Bella and Emily walked to the kitchen and sat to eat. Derek sat with them and a little while after Penelope also joined.

"I finished Gavin's gift yesterday" Derek said.

"Thanks" Bella smiled.

"Now we just need to get that watch you said he wants" Derek said and she nodded.

"So when is the party?" Emily asked.

"Next Thursday at 4" Derek said.

"Oh! Colette texted to let me know it's a pool party" Penelope said excited and everyone smiled.

Emily had noticed Derek smiling at her during breakfast, so when Penelope went to change and Bella said she was going to shower and left, she had to ask him why.
"Is everything okay?" Emily asked him.

"Yeah" he said finishing his coffee.

"Why are you smiling at me like this?" She asked.

"Oh" he said smiling. "I heard you talking to her this morning." He said and Emily looked a bit serious. "I'm sorry. I was going to wake you guys up and you were talking. It was too adorable not to stop to hear" he said and Emily smiled. "You're amazing with her" he added and Emily blushed.

Suddenly Garcia walked in.
"We gotta go" she said and Derek stood up.

"Anything just call" Derek told Emily and she nodded.

"Bye bye mama bear" Penelope said and they left.

Emily finished her coffee and then went and filled Lulu's and Sergio's food bowl. The dog ran there while the cat stayed asleep on the couch.

"Good girl" Emily petted Lulu's back as the dog ate.
She stood up and headed to her daughter's bedroom. She changed her clothes and then sat on the bed. Suddenly Isabella's phone rang. Emily picked it up from the nightstand and it was Jeremy.

"Hello" she said.

"Emily?" Jeremy asked a bit surprised.

"Hi. It's me" Emily said.

"Hi. Umm Bella texted me asking if I knew. I wasn't sure what she was talking about so I called Derek and he just told me you were back" Jeremy explained.

Before Isabella went to shower she stopped in her room and texted her brother. She wanted to know if he knew about it too.

"Yeah. It's been a few days. I'm sorry no one called to let you know but you can imagine how things are around here" Emily said.

"Is she doing okay with all of this?" He asked.

"She's alright. Better than what I expected, if I'm being honest" Emily said.

"She's not mad at you, is she?" Jeremy asked.

"She was for little while but I think she gets it now" Emily said.

"Good"

"Don't worry. I'm here now and she'll be okay" Emily said.

"I know she will." Jeremy said and Emily smiled. "And your friends did an amazing job with her" he added.

"They did" Emily smiled.

There was a bit of silence and then Jeremy said "do you think I should tell her that I knew or...?"