Another chance

Emmalyn POV

I fall back onto my bed, letting out a big sigh. Sometimes, I wish Sunny is not so perceptive. It is actually a tad troublesome and annoying.

Do I really believe he will quit fighting so easily? Yes and no.

Yes, he looks serious.

No, he is Boss's prized fighter. Last time I heard, anyone who quits faces repercussions. I shiver at the thought. Just the thought of what happened with Boss gave me goosebumps and fear.

Yes, fighting there is dangerous and reckless. There are fighters of all ages. He can one day meet his match, though I hope that day never comes.

No. I saw the way he acts when he fights. It is as if he is really alive, like he is awake. He always had a part of him detached. It wasn't noticeable to many except those closest to him. I felt that he was never giving one hundred percent.

"Ugh! There's no use mulling over these things." I rub my cheeks. "If he really is going to do it, then the process will take a while. It's his decision, not mine!" I do hope he chooses to quit. Boss is a very cruel and cold-hearted man.

Bzzzz Bzzzzz...

My phone vibrates, waking me up. I must have been exhausted if I conked out. "Who is it now?" I grimace as I see the name and picture on the screen. Plus, it was 10 AM on a Saturday. Too early.

Alex (:

Don't judge, but I might have taken a picture or two discreetly while he was working out at the gym.

My thumb hovers over the call and ignore button. Should I, or should I not? Squeezing my eyes shut, I randomly press a button.

"Emmalyn." I hear him, sounding relieved.

"What do you want?" I snap, a little surprised at my coldness. He interrupted my slumber. I'm cranky.

"Okay, I deserve this." He winces. "I just..."

"Spit it out," I say.

"My name is Alexannon Korvynn, or Xannon. I go to Carriger High, where I am a senior and play football quarterback there. I've made some stupid decisions, such as the pranks we played against our rivals Sabina High. I even started some of the pranks against Jason Carter. Now that I think about it, it was quite immature. I uh met a girl at the gym one day. She caught my attention-the first girl to do so to be honest. We got along great. One day, she told me about her brother. I realized that if she found out who I really was, she'd think I was using her just for another prank. I chose to tell her soon, but the opportunity never presented itself. I finally got the courage to ask her out one day. Well," he chuckles, "she asked me out instead. I decided to tell her that day. But, her brother ended up at the wrong place and time."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I wanted to explain everything to you, maybe get another chance."

"Why did you introduce yourself as Alex? You didn't know I was related to Jason until later."

There is a moment of silence. "Hello? Alex?"

"I wanted you to call me Alex, something new. My uh reputation is not the best at my school. I'm the so called player who gets all the chicks. I wanted a fresh start with you. Everyone at school calls me Xannon, and my family calls me Alexannon. I just um wanted you to call me that when I saw you." He sounds slightly embarrassed. "That sounds so cheesy," I hear him whisper under his breath.

I laugh a little. "Did you have to wake me up at ten in the morning? You know I love my sleep."

"You didn't answer your phone yesterday. I didn't want to wait too long." He replies. "Does that mean I'm forgiven?"

"What is there to forgive? I wasn't mad at you in the first place."

"Really." He seems doubtful.

"Disappointed and a little betrayed? Yup."

"I'm sorry..." He speaks. "I'll make it up to you if it's the last thing I can do. Let's go to the beach!"

"Beach?" I think I misheard him.

"Yeah. Why not?"

"That's so random. Isn't it too early?"

"C'mon, let's go!" He cheers. "It's never too early. The sun is shining. Plus, it won't be as hot. Grab your board and other stuff! I'll pick you up in thirty minutes." I groan at his cheerfulness. He is really going to try to gain back my trust, isn't he? Thirty minutes. That's not a lot of time to shower, eat, and change. I hurry out of bed to get ready.

"I'm going to the beach with some friends." I poke my head into the game room after I'm ready. . To say the least, I am shocked at the disarray before me. The room smells of alcohol, sweat, and body odor. Ew. All the guys are either on the floor or piled onto the couch. They are out cold. I glimpse quite a few opened beer cans. Stupid boys. They are underage but drinking. I grab a neon pink sticky note from my room and scribble a small note saying where I'm going. I post it on the TV screen. Then, I come up with a devious plan. I crank the volume of the speakers up and set them on a timer. In five minutes, I'll be gone and they shall be woken up by the music. Let's hope they don't have severe hangovers.

"Let's go!" I hop into Alex's car. I'm wearing a bikini covered by boardshorts and a see-through lace tank. He briefly glances at me. Then, we zoom off to the beach.

Sitting on the sand, I sigh in contentment. I love the beach. It's close by and lots of people come here to hang. I hear a bunch of things drop near my side. I glance over to Alex. "Whoa, why do you have so much stuff?"

"It's not a lot. I brought a volleyball, skateboard, food, blanket, umbrella, towels, and a cooler."

"Let's play some volleyball!" I look around for an open court on the sand. Only one was open at the moment at the very end. It's still a little early, but there were a lot of people here. I grab his arm and bring him to the court. There must be some sort of event today since it is so crowded. Tarps and tents were all set up. I squint at the poster above. It read, "All Day Beach Volleyball Tournament! Open for all! Support the DREAM Volleyball Foundation! All donations and money earned will be given to charities..." I skim the rest. The cost for one team is two hundred fifty dollars! Wow, never mind. I'll just play with Alex.

"Do you even know how to play?" He raises an eyebrow at me. We walk to the open court.

"Yes..." I trail off. Alex gives a look that says 'bullshiz.' "Okay, no. It shouldn't be too hard right? Just hit it over the net! I do know how to properly hit the ball."

"Alright then." He shrugs. "Game on."

I grin. I may not know anything about volleyball, but I do know how to hit a ball.

~An hour later~

"You're pretty good." Alex huffs. "You make me feel out of shape."

"You're not too shabby yourself." I puff out. He has quite the stamina and endurance too. I glimpse around. There are a lot more people now filling the sands. We even picked up quite the audience. There is a small crowd around us, mostly teens. There are girls drooling over Alex since he's wearing only his swimming trunks. He is a sight to behold. Some of the others here are just watching since we are just so goshdarn awesome. I feel slightly proud that we have gained spectators even though there are better matches going on around us.

The weather is getting hotter. I can feel sweat rolling down my back and forehead. I realized Alex and I are competitive people. Neither one of us wants to lose. So far, we are just scoring as many points until one of us gets to twenty. The score is finally 18-19 after an entire hour. He was leading. We did take breaks though in between.

I glimpse someone familiar in the small crowd. It can't be him. The heat may be playing tricks on me. I shake my head and look for the person more intently. "Watch out!" I hear Alex shout. Too late, I see him hit the ball strongly at me. I automatically reach out and catch the ball. Whoops, I don't think I'm supposed to catch the ball.

"And she loses!" He fist pumps on the other side. The girls run to Alex and start gushing all over him. I roll my eyes at their obvious flirting. I am jealous, but I have no right to be. I swallow the feeling down.

"Hey! Nice play!" A group comes up to me. There are three guys and three girls. They look to be in the mid-twenties. "We are impressed. You pack quite the power for such a little thing," a tall, blond girl comments. She says it in such a sweet way that I do not take any offense. She has freckles, golden long hair, and kind green eyes. "My name is Laura." She sticks out her hand. I grab and shake it. "I'm Emma."

"Do you want to come play with us? We are uneven. I mean, you don't have to, but it would be nice and all. We signed up for the tournament early for a cheaper price with eight people, but one of us fell ill suddenly. It's just that we chose the competitive division, so we need all the help we can get." The other girl, a Brazilian-looking girl with a slight British accent, says. She's not that much taller than me. However, she looks very fit and muscular, indicating her years of training. "I'm Leslie by the way."

"You have six people? Wouldn't it be uneven after I play? I don't have any cash on either to pay for my part. Plus, I don't know anything about volleyball besides serving and hitting the ball over the net. All I know is how to correctly hit a ball." I rub my neck, a little embarrassed. They look like they play beach volleyball a lot, or at least go to the beach a lot. They are all tanned and fit. Plus, they were maybe ten years older?

"Naw, we have Zach. He went to the bathroom just a couple minutes ago. And I am sure Nate, he's the one who is sick, would not mind letting you take his spot. You don't need to pay." One of the guys mentions. He's the tallest one of the bunch, maybe taller than Sunny. He looked Japanese, but his dark tan threw me off. He introduces himself. "I'm Bryan." I nod and reply, "Nice to meet you." The other two guys say their names, Ben and Jack.

"If it's okay with you, I'd love to join." Zach. I shake my head once again. It can't be him. There are millions of people with the name Zach. That probably wasn't even him during the game. I mean, what are the chances of him coming to play volleyball at the beach? I'm just thinking too much and getting paranoid. He doesn't look like he'd be the type to talk to such an amiable group. I glance at the group, who are chatting happily.

"What's going on?" Alex pops up behind me. He scares the crap out of me, making me grab him and throwing him over my shoulder.

"Sorry," I wince as I hear him groan in pain. I look around, checking to see if anyone noticed. I don't think anyone did. "Instincts?" I meekly shrug.

"Remind me to never sneak up on you. Wow, how'd you even do that? I'm twice your size." He looks amazed.

"Well, that group asked if I could join them for a match." I avoid his other question. "I said yes. I can say no though. I forgot to ask you. I mean I did come to the beach with you. It was our hang out day..." I realize I'm rambling.

He swings his arm around me. "It's fine. Go have fun. I'll watch. I don't mind."

"Really?"

"Yeah sure." He shrugs. "It will be fun to watch an actual game."

"Cools!" I hug him quickly and catch up to the group. The game is about to start. "Is Zach here yet?" I ask Bryan.

"Yeah, there he is!" He points to a guy walking toward us. I freeze at the sight of him. "Zach! Took you long enough! We got Emma here to substitute for Nate!" Bryan grins and brings him over.

"Hello," I smile weakly. Zach just looks at me.

"Do you know each other?" Bryan looks between us. He must feel the tension in the air.

"I-" I open my mouth, but Zach interrupts me.

"She's an..acquaintance." He says carefully.

"What a small world this is!" Jack points out. "Hey, we are going first! Let's get them! Emma go to where Laura is standing. That will be your position. Just go with the flow. We will help you out." The group breaks out, leaving me with Zach.

"Emmalyn." He nods curtly at me and walks past me. I feel a chill run down my spine as he whispers,"Tell Jason to take better care of his body."

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry for the long wait. I had major writers block. Hmm, I think I'm going to make it more intense in the next chapter (; making you guys wait sorry. It'll get better and more surprising definitely. I got something cooking in my brains.

Comment

Vote

Critique

(: thanks Wattpadians. You are all awesome!