Hospitals suck

I wake up to the sound of beeping and the smell of disinfectant.

Oh, don't tell me, I'm in a hospital.

I open my eyes, though they feel like they are glued together. My eyes roam around the room. Not all hospital rooms are completely white. I always wonder why they look white in movies. I guess it might also be the light. There are flower bouquets on the table near the window. Sun is shining through the curtains so it may be early morning. My eyes drift to the couch across from me, which is inhabited by a sleeping Sunny right now. I am pretty sure that minors are not allowed to stay overnight. Though, knowing Sunny, he probably snuck in or pulled some strings. I look at my arms, which are bandaged and have tubes stuck in them. I sit upright, taking my time. Judging from my lack of pain, I guess I must be on pain medication. Still, that does not mean I do not feel anything.

"Emmy?" Sunny rushes over to me frantically. How did he know I was awake? I did not make a single sound.

"Ye-yeah. Hey." I croack. Gosh, my voice sounds like a dying frog.

"Thank god you're awake!" He whispers while hugging me as if I was fragile. "How are you feeling? Do you need anything? I will go call the nurse over."

"I'm peachy." I cough. My throat feels so dry. "Can I have some water?" He passes me a bottle and I sip it slowly. All the while, I observe Sunny. He has bloodshot eyes and heavy dark circles under them. Was this because of me?

"How long was I out?" I stare at his appearance.

"It has been three years." He says seriously.

"You are kidding." My jaw drops open. Three whole years? That mean I am a senior in high school! Wait, hold on...I study Sunny and realize he does not look like he aged three years.

"I am." He nods, smiling a little.

"HEY! That's not funny!" I push him lightly. It is more of a light tap because I am really weak right now.

"C'mon, it was a little." He gives a small smile.

"No, it was not. Really though, how long was I out?" I frown, hoping it to be a brief period.

"Three weeks."

"Wow, three whole weeks?" That is not too bad. I am happy it is not three years. "What happened?

"You got a bad concussion, multiple broken/fractured ribs, a bruised jaw, and cuts all over the body. Thank goodness you were rushed to the hospital on time. The doctors said you lost a lot of blood." He says quietly.

"How did I get here?"

"Drake called me that you were at the hospital." He pauses and gets a determined, hard look in his eyes. "Tell me what happened."

"There's nothing to tell." I shrug avoiding his eyes. I feel ashamed and pathetic. Not only did I lose the freaking deal, but I am also hospitalized.

"Emmalyn," he sighs. "You had us all worried! Do you know how stupid you were? Did you never think about us? About me? Why would you willingly throw your life away!" Sunny is getting quite heated; his veins are bulging out. If I was not so scared, I would be laughing at his face-he looks like a tomato right now.

"I'm sorry! I did this all for you!" I argue.

"What do you mean you did this for me? How is fighting ever going to accomplish anything? You are just going to end up hurting. Why were you so stupid to challenge a professional fighter? What were you getting out of it? I have told you again and again to stay away from that place! Thank god I found out and not our parents. I covered for you. Look what happened to you! You were out for three whole weeks! I cannot believe you did this!" He wrings his hair.