Maya Meets World

Six years later

I dragged my best friend onto the subway. She was amazed at how naturally I fit in with all the weirdos underground.

"I take the subway now, I have kiwi lips now I'm just like you!" She chirped in her perky voice.

"Oh yeah. We're exactly the same." I rolled my eyes.

Riley Matthews was a princess. She was sunshine on earth. She was my other half. We had been best friends ever since I moved. I climbed through her window one day to get a way from the noise and we became best friends. Because what else would you do if a stranger crawls through your window.

When I left Texas I left Penelope there. I became rebel Maya Hart. Everyone says Riley and I are complete opposites. If only they knew what I was. Thank god they didn't. I dyed my hair blonde and eventually with the amount of time I spent in the sun, my ginger locks stayed blonde. The prescription on my glasses wasn't strong so I stopped wearing them. Sure a few things were blurry but whatever.

Riley had been rambling on about how it was our senior year and she had never had a boyfriend. She had never kissed anyone either. She was a little awkward.

"How do you date so many boys?" She asked me. I looked around the subway. A cute boy caught my eyes.

"Okay let me show you everything you need to know about boys and girls." I swung between the poles and over to the boy. He looked up at me and smiled.

"HI I'm Maya. You're really cute. We should hang out sometime. You make me happy. You don't pay enough attention to me. This isn't working out. It's you not me. We can still be friends, not really." I walked away leaving the boy confused.

"He's available. We just broke up." I smirked.

"Are you okay?" Riley asked concerned. She was a special one. I pulled her hand off the pole and she fell, right into the guys lap. I watched as she awkwardly spoke to him. The boy looked familiar but I couldn't place it.

Riley got off the boys lap and walked over to me as the subway stopped at our stop. We got off and headed to Abigail Adams high.

"Did you have trouble with the homework?" She asked me.

"Piece of cake." I lied.

"You didn't do it." Riley sighed.

"I don't even know where my books are."

"They're here and they're heavy." She pulled my textbooks out of her bag and dropped them in my arms.

We strolled into the classroom as Riley finished ranting at me.

"This teacher is crazy! I think there's something seriously wrong with him." She turned around to face our teacher.

"HI honey."

"HI dad." She smiled going off to her seat.

"You're late for your father's class." He told his daughter.

"Mr Matthews you wrote her a note." I handed him a sticky note.

"Rileys late. Deal with it." He complimented my forgery of his signature before class began.

"The civil war!" He announced.

"The civil bore!" I mocked him.

"Thank you future mini mart employee of the month."

"Wouldn't I still be making more money then you?" He looked at me for a second.

"The civil war. Anybody?"

"A war we fought against ourselves." Riley piped up.

"You actually studied it?"

"No I'm actually living it." Riley groaned letting her head fall on the text book.

"People people! Are we here to learn or not?"

"What do you mean Farkle?"

Farkle Minkus was my other friend. He was quirky like Riley and a genius. One other thing...

"I've been in love with Riley since the first grade. But I'm also equally in love with Maya. Some might say the great mystery of the universe is who will become the first Mrs Farkle." He was in love with us. I turned around to face him.

"You don't want this." I gestured to myself.

"Bring it on." Matthews returned to his lesson about knowing who we are. That's when the classroom door opened. The boy we had seen earlier walked in.

"Who are you I don't know who you are."

"Subway boy." Riley smiled widely. The boy still had a sense of familiarity that I couldn't place. Then it all clicked.

"Lucas Friar from Austin Texas."