Maya Meets Excuses

Since Farkle knew my secret we grew a lot closer. Riley was not very happy about it. I sat in the window while she paced back and forth.

"Why are you spending so much time with Farkle?" She asked me.

"Because we are friends." I answered. It wasn't a lie, it just wasn't the whole truth. In all honesty, Farkle and I were hanging out more because we were planning on taking Lucas down. 

"We are all friends but you never invite me to hang out with you guys anymore!" Riley plopped down on the bay window beside me.

"It's not like we don't hang out anymore." I shrugged hoping she would drop the subject. Of course I was wrong. It's Riley Matthews she never drops anything.

"It's not like it was before. Is it because of Lucas? I thought you liked him!" 

"No Riles. I promise it's nothing. Farkle and I are uh, working on a project together. I promise that when we're done everything will go back to the way it was." If you don't hate

 me for lying to you and crushing the heart of one of your friends.

"A project? What kind of project?" She questioned leaning in. Well you see its a huge plan to get revenge on the asshole who chased me out of Texas.

"Chemistry project..." I lied. Riley was so pure and innocent. She deserved better.

"I'm in your chem class Maya! We haven't been recently assigned any projects!" She argued.

"It's for extra credit. Farkle is helping me so I can bring my grade up so I can get into a good school." My mark in chemistry was actually one of my highest marks. Probably only because Lucas was my lab partner and did all of the work.

"Why is Farkle helping you? He's my lab partner!" Riley sounded almost jealous.

"He is the smartest kid in our grade." I shrugged as if it were obvious.

"Maya are you telling me the truth?" Riley asked leaning close to me.

"Riley-" I was cut off by my phone ringing. i pulled it out and looked at the contact. Farkle. Perfect timing. Not. Riley grabbed my phone from my hand.

"Hello?" Riley answered.

"Maya we have to start phase 1." I heard Farkle say. I internally cringed. Riley hung up the phone and looked at me. 

"Phase 1 of what?"

"Our chemistry project?" I said knowing i didn't sound convincing.

"I can't believe you Maya!"

"Riley-"

"Tell me the truth!" 

"Riles-"

"Ring power!" I looked into her eyes that were starting to fill with tears. I just couldn't tell her the truth.

"I can't. I'm sorry." I stared at my feet. When I looked up Riley was not full of sadness. She was furious.

"Get out!" She snapped. I would've much rather had her yell at me. She glared at me until I left. I sat on her fire escape not knowing what to do. All i knew was this was all Lucas' fault and he was not going to get away with ruining my life again.

"Lucas Friar, you are going down."