Maya meets Confession

"Lucas!" The next day at school I called his name. He had been ignoring all my calls and texts. I knew this would be the only way to talk to him.

"Stay away from me." He snapped.

"No I need to talk to you." I urged. I needed him to listen to me.

"I don't want to talk. Leave me alone." He brushed me off speeding up his pace. I saw the open Janitors closet and knew I had an opportunity. I shoved him inside and shut the door, flipping the lock. "Maya what the hell?"

"I needed to talk to you. It's important."

"So important that you had to kidnap me?" He yelled.

"Yes!" My voice was now raised.

"What is it?" He was full on shouting and I knew anyone walking by could hear us.

"My names not Maya Hart." I braced myself for his reaction.

"What?"

"Are you ready to listen?"

"You've got two minutes." He said firmly, arms crossed.

"Okay but don't interrupt me." He nodded and I took a deep breath. "My name is Penelope Clutterbucket. I grew up in Austin, Texas. My mom and I moved to New York after my dad left us and some bullys took it too far. I got tired of being a pushover so I made some changes. I dyed my hair started wearing contacts and bought a whole new wardrobe. I thought I had left my old life behind but then you showed up. And I remembered everything you did to me. I was just filled with so much hatred and I wanted to get back at you. So I made this plan to get you to fall in love with me so I could make you eat your words from all those years ago. And then I would break your heart."

"Mission accomplished." Lucas stood up ready to leave.

"Wait I'm not done!" I yelled stopping him from leaving.

"What more could you possibly have to say? After everything you did to me?" He was shouting now. I could see the hurt and anger in his eyes.

"I LOVE YOU!" We both froze. Our eyes were both wide as I slammed my hand over my mouth. I couldn't believe what I just said. Was it true? Did I really love him? I couldn't possibly. Could I?

"You what?" His voice was softer now.  Like he was about cry. The small break in his voice made me want to hold him and protect him from the cruel world. I wanted to gaze into his beautiful eyes and tell him everything would be okay as long as we were together. Is this what love feels like?

"I dont know much about love but I know I love you Lucas Friar. I hate myself for it but I can't help it." I slid down against the door to the floor. He slid down beside me.

"Maya-Penelope- uh um"

"Maya." I corrected.

"Right sorry. Maya I can't be with you." He stated, the words barely escaping.

"Why not?" I asked turning to him with tears in my eyes.

"Because I can't trust you and until all the bull shit from our past is gone I won't trust you. And I'm not building a relationship without trust." I began to lightly sob. I didn't know what else to do. After all the crap I pulled, breaking not one but two hearts in the process. I was a horrible human being.

As teats streamed down my face, a soft finger lifter my chin so I was staring up at him. We made eye contact and he leaned in pressing his lips firmly against mine.

"But-"

"I shouldn't have done that."Lucas stood up and darted out of the janitors closet leaving me on the floor crying.