Chapter 3

April POV

"Dad?" I ask.

"What?"

"Why are we sitting here while people are leaving an the coming back in?"

"Because they're doing their aptitude tests today, then choosing."

Great. So I have to sit here in a dress, next to Alex, for a while, just because they're doing the aptitude tests before the ceremony. How fun.

"April?" I hear Alex whisper.

"What do you want." I whisper back.

"Nothing."

***********

I don't pay attention for most of the ceremony, just because I don't care. At least until I hear two words I wish I didn't hear.

"April Collards." I hear Marcus Eaton yell in his old, hoarse voice.

I look at my family in shock. They don't have shocked looks on their faces, they actually look.. normal?

I get up, wipe the palm of my hands off on my dress, and start to walk to the stairs.

I start walking down the stairs, over to the stage.

"Mr. Eaton. I'm not supposed to choose today. I'm only 14." I whisper to Marcus.

"I know Miss Collards. But there is something for you today." he whispers back.

"FACTIONS OF THE CITY!" Marcus screams. "HERE WE HAVE A 14 YEAR OLD GIRL NAME APRIL COLLARDS. THE DAUGHTER OF TWO DAUNTLESS PRODIGIES. A DAUNTLESS PRODIGY HERSELF. SHE CAN FIGHT SOMEONE, ANYONE AND WIN. WE ARE GOING TO CELEBRATE THIS DAUNTLESS PRODIGY."

Everybody starts to clap. I don't know how to react. I just stand there, smiling, until realization hits me, of what just happened, I start to laugh.

"You may go back to your seat now." Marcus whispers again.

I walk back up to the steps where my parents are sitting. There are only a few people left that need to pick, so we just wait.

When the ceremony is over, we start to walk down the stairs, but I stop to take off my heals.

"What are you doing?" Alex asks me.

"You'll see." I tell him.

When we get outside, I start to run. I am the first to the pillars. I start climbing the pillars, swinging my feet over, to get to the top. I stand up, and look for the train. Other people get to the top, and start looking too.

Once we spot the train, we start running. I am barefooted, with my heals in my right hand, and my phone in my left.

Once I grab the handle on the side of the train, I swing my feet in, landing on my feet, not even wobbling.

"Brandon. Seriously." I say to my best friend.

Brandon has been my best friend, since we were in the same class at school.

"No. You are wearing a dress. You look weird." he tells me.

I just roll my eyes.

"Little Beatrice." I hear uncle Uriah say.

"What." I say.

"You need to do something when we get back to the compound."

"What?"

He leans in, next to my ear, and whispers: "You need to ask Four if you can do training with the initiates. He might let you if you prove him wrong."