Chapter 13

Not edited.
April POV

"April. I'm proud of you." my father says, the unknown words, like he's said them before.

"Okay dad. Lay off the Peace Serum." I tell him.

"APRIL!" he yells while laughing. " Don't forget that we have to tour the factions today."

"Do I really have to. Looking like this I mean?" I ask.

"Go put on your dress."

I roll my eyes and walk up to my apartment. I go into my moms bedroom, and into her closet, pulling out her halter top dress, thats solid black. I put it on.

My mother enters the room, and points for me to sit down in her vanity chair. Once I sit down, she turns the chair around, so I am facing her. She takes her makeup kit, and starts putting makeup on my face, covering my black eye, and cuts on my jaw. She turns me around again, and starts on my hair, putting it up into better braids.

She goes back into her closet, rustles around for a few minutes, and walks back out holding a black dress. It's strapless, and pins in the back, almost like a corset, but not exactly. The back of the dress, is longer than the front, decreasing in length, on the sides.

I put it on, and I look in the mirror.The back of the skirt goes down to the back of my knees, and the front goes up to my wrists, when I put my arms to my sides.

My makeup is subtle, but still noticeable. You cant see the black and blue around my eyes anymore. I have black lipstick on, making me look pale.

She takes the braids out of my hair after a while, revealing the curly/wavy hair.

She hands me a pair of heals. They're black, and zip up the sides. There's a one-and-a-half inch heal. I slip them on really quick. I stand two inches higher than my mom does.

"You look beautiful." my mother says, looking at me smiling.

I walk out of her room, and into the kitchen, tripping over my own heals. I sit down at the counter, and I peal an orange. What I normally eat for a snack.

My brother walks in, with his nose in his phone. He looks up, and sees me wearing a dress.

"Trying to be pretty?" he says while laughing.

"No." I say back.

"Good cause you're failing. You can't look pretty with black eyes, and scratches all over your face."

I turn around, and he begins to get wide eyed.

"Yeah, I know. I'm also flat chested too. I wont ever be pretty" I say, sarcastically.

"April?" he says, in almost a whisper, like he might wake someone, just by saying my name.

"Ivan." I say back, sternly. "How do I look."

"Ehhh. I guess you look kida pretty. Why are you dressed up?"

"Faction tours."

He nods.

I hate how we have to dress up, and pretend to be someone we aren't. We have to be so proper, so Jeanine doesn't get fired for being a bad leader.

I finish my orange, and I go down to the training room, to meet my dad.

***

I sit with a group of Amity boys, at the Erudite headquarters. They put us all in the groups, depending on our age. I was put in the 14 year old group, with three boys, and two girls. But the girls ran off long ago, but I don't care, I hated them.