Chapter 14

April POV

Me and Zaiah walk up to Marcus. He hands each of us a knife, and we slice our hands. A rush of pain goes through my hand, but a rush of adrenaline goes through my veins.

"On three?" I ask.

"On three." Zaiah says.

"One."

"Two."

"Three." We say in unison. 

I clench my fist, squeezing the blood out of my hand, and into the Dauntless bowl.

"Collard Twins. Dauntless." We scream, smiling.

Marcus hands us a cloth, and we put it over our wounds. 

"April." I say smiling, putting my hand up, for him to take.

"Zaiah." he says, taking it. 

We both laugh. 

After the ceremony, we do the usual. Pillars, train, rooftop speech. 

"Who's gonna jump?" Max asks.

My hand shoots up into the air, as I stepping up on the ledge, facing the initiates.

"70% Pedrad. 30% Collards." Max says.

"I think you have that backwards." I say, falling back, earning a gasp from the crowd.

Azaiah hits the mat, a few seconds after I do. Four helps me down.

"Thanks Four." I say, winking at him. 

All he does is roll his eyes, and yells, "FIRST JUMPER APRIL!" 

"You didn't want to change your name right?" he asks.

I chuckle.

"No, I don't, not yet at least." I say winking at him.

"Ahh. Got ya." 

He does the whole explaining thing, and I don't even listen. 

"So. New initiates, come with me. Dauntless Borns go with Tr- I mean April." Four says, shooting me a "Sorry I called you by your mothers name, and you just found out you have a twin brother" look, while I give him a death glare. 

"Zaiah?" I question.

"Dauntless Borns." Four says.

I nod. 

"COME WITH ME YOU FREAKS OF NATURE!" I yell, turning towards the dorms. 

I lead them to their bunks. They know the drill, and Zaiah mostly figures it out, so he kinda understands. 

"So we start training today, after lunch." I say.

Everybody groans, while they sit on their bunks, changing. 

There's only a few members today, five boys, I am the only girl.

I can only stand a few of the boys, and the rest I hate. We are the new group, so we are the first Dauntless Borns in our class. 

Once I am in jeans and a sports bra, I sit on my bed, with my head in my hands. I look up, and see Augustus Strouse, standing right in front of me, shirtless. 

"Like what you see, Collards?" He asks.

"You wish Strouse." I tell him. 

I walk over to Zaiah, after he is dressed. 

"So I guess this is why we look a like?" he asks.

"I guess so. By the way, YOUR dad is teaching us." I say. 

He laughs.

***

"OKAY DAUNTLESS MEMBERS." my father yells. "TODAY WE ARE DOING GUNS. DAUNTLESS INITIATES WILL BE JOINING US TODAY." 

I roll my eyes.

"Great just what I need. My father training me, a twin brother I didn't know about, and on top of it all, new initiates are joining us." I say.

"April. Shut up." he says.

"No Anthony you-" 

"I will hang you from the chasm."

"No you wont. Anthony shut up, there I said it." 

Four walks in before he can do anything else. 

"April go put on your foot brace." he says.

I go out of the training room, and into the dorms, and I put on my brace. 

Once I go back in, Four starts to explain us how to shoot guns and we start. I shoot a couple bad ones, just for fun. 

"April." Four says. "Come here." he points to a place on the floor. "I have a surprise for you." 

I walk up to him, all because I don't back down from a fight.

A couple people holler, some snicker. 

He pulls a gun from behind his back, and puts it up to my head, with one swift move. 

I hide my gun behind my back. 

He puts his face to mine. If he moves any closer, he will be kissing me. 

I smile my devilish smile, and I laugh.

"You don't scare me." I tell him.

"Oh really?" he asks, taking the gun from my head. 

I don't run, nor move, so he doesn't signify me as weak.

He puts a bullet in the chamber, and his finger on the trigger, not even cocking it. 

"Nope. Still nothing." I tell him. 

I quickly pull my gun from behind my back, and I cock it, and put it up to his head, read to pull the trigger.

"What about you Stiff?" I ask. "Scared yet?" 

He shifts his weight from one foot to another, and walks away, muttering something about being nothing like Beatrice and Anthony. 

I stand there laughing, when I feel someone pull my arm, leading me into the hallway.

"Proud of me dad?" I ask.

"Actually no." he say, his face turning bright red. "Why can't you be like Ivan, be responsible. QUIT BEING REBELLIOUS! You're just making yourself look stupid. Be like Ivan and Jai. Just stop being yourself."

The color drains out of my face, and tears start to form in the corners of my eyes. 

"April!" he call after me, as I walk away. 

I don't even look back, nor stop until I am by the chasm. I go under the rock by the chasm, crying my eyes out. 

Why did he say that?
Has he always thought of me like this?
Does he really want me to be Ivan?
Is this the way y mom feels about me?
Is this why they hate me?
Should I just run away, to another faction, to the factionless, to the bottom of the running waters of the chasm?
Would they care to look for me?
Would they celebrate?
Am I anything but a let down?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'

933 words