Chapter 12

April POV

My mom teaches us a few more things, then releases us, to go home.

When I get to my apartment, I turn on the TV, but nothing good is on, so I just turn it back off. Then I go into my room, and I sit down on my bed. I get out my phone, and I start to text Tyler. Most days I would text Alec, but he switched factions.

"Hey. Do you know if Four is in the training room?" I text him.

"I am pretty sure he is. Why?" he responds.

"Just wondering."

I take off my leather jacket, along with my white shirt. My mother always told me 'its easier to do training, when you are wearing either a crop top, or a sports bra.' so I stand in my room, just wearing a sports bra, and jeans. I take off my ankle brace also, because I can't stand it.

I walk out of my room, still texting Tyler, when my brother stops me from going anywhere.

"Where are you going?" Ivan asks.

"I am going to the training room. Got a problem?"

"Yes. I will walk you."

I am so surprised. He never does that, what is wrong with him.

He walks me all the way down to the training room, when I figure out why he came. Annalynn was waiting for him, by the door.

"Bye weirdos." I say, walking into the training room.

"April." I hear from a voice, as soon as I walk in.

"Four." I say back.

"Why are you here?"

"People say I have more strength than my mother, I want to put that to the test, I wanna fight."

He stares at me in amazement.

"If you get hurt, I am not taking you to the infirmary."

"I'm not taking you either."

We both step up onto the mat, and we put our hands up.

"I'll go easy on you. Beatrice." he says.

My body fills with anger. I strike at him, getting his on the throat, but he doesn't even flinch. He strikes me right in the jaw, and I stumble backwards. I make myself fall backwards, and I lay there, motionless, until he speaks.

"If you really think you're stronger than your mother, you sure are dumb."

I put one of my legs out, so he trips, and I get up. I kick his sides a few times, before he grabs my foot, making me fall to the floor. I stand up right away, and I kick try to kick the back of his head. He doges, and pulls me down. I hit my head on the floor, and I feel as if I will pass out. I get up and I punch him in the eye, not as hard as I can, but still pretty hard. He stumbles backwards, and I kick his chest, making him fall. He rolls over to his stomach, and I stand over him.

"I can't believe a Stiff thinks she can beat me." he says.

"I AM NOT A STIFF!" I scream, as I kick the back of his head, making him pass out.

I hesitate for a few seconds, but then I walk off. I just beat Tobias Eaton. Tobias Eaton that raked first in initiation. The Tobias Eaton that tried to push my mother over the railing of the chasm, then the next day, went and saved her from jumping. The Tobias Eaton who only has four fears. The Tobias Eaton that my mother broke up with, after he broke her wrist twice, gave her two concussions, and a broken ankle. I just beat Tobias Eaton. Me, a girl that rebels against her parents, and hates her name. The girl that has a broken ankle, but still managed to fight him.

"Who's the Stiff now?" I whisper to him.

I walk out of the training room, leaving him there, for anybody else. I go up to my apartment, taking the short way, just to get there faster.

I walk through the door, not even acknowledging my brothers. I walk into the bathroom, and I wash off the blood on my face. Where he got my jaw, there is a huge gash. I then walk into my room, and I put on my ankle brace, because if my father catches me without it, then I am dead meat.

I go down to the cafeteria, sitting down where my parents are. I grab a piece of Dauntless Cake, and I start eating.

A random initiate or trainer, comes up to me, and stands right behind me. I turn around to face them. I have no idea who they are.

"Stand up." they whisper to me.

"Why?" I question.

"I thought you were Dauntless not Candor."

"I don't even know what I am. I haven't even done an aptitude test."

"Wait. How old are you?"

"I'm 14. I thought you were Dauntless not Candor."

The color drains out of them.

"Stand up." they say again. I stand up, but not before they correct me. "On the bench."

I stand up onto the bench, and they start to yell.

"EVERYBODY ACKNOWLEDGE THIS YOUNG GIRL!" they scream, over the sound of voices talking. "SHES 14. SHE JUST FOUGHT FOUR. AND SHE WON."

Everybody's eyes go wide.

"Did you really?" my mother questions.

I nod my head, signifying 'yes'.

"What is your name?" the guys asks me again.

"April Collards." I say to him.

"APRIL COLLARDS!" he screams.

Everybody claps. I sit down on the bench again, and I start eating. Why did he have to do that. I'm dead.

"April." my father says. "I need to talk to you."

I sigh, and I walk away, with my father trailing behind me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

929 Words.