Chapter 17

April POV

"'Prilia" Zaiah says.

"Zaiah." I say.

"Did I hear my name?" Xavier asks.

"Zay. Shush." 

"So I heard, you almost got beaten to death, because you were so exhausted, and your father laughed" 

"That happened." Zaiah says. 

I roll my eyes.

"Lets go to training you dork." I say.

I grab Zaiahs' ear, and I pull him to the training room.

When we walk in, we see knives sitting in front of empty targets, along with my father, talking to initiates. 

I pick up a knife, and I start throwing.

"......And that's what not to do." my father says, pointing at me.

"Yup you should do what Ivan does, and sneak around the compound at midnight, kissing random girls, then be late to training, and say its because he was practicing. Oops did I say that out loud?" 

I roll my eyes at him, when I'm finished.

"April, if you would shut you dang mouth for once-"

"No. If you would learn to shut yours, maybe you would notice that I'm not going to listen, when all you do is brag about Ivan, I'm not like you."

"April-"

"I am nothing like Ivan, and I never will be, because he is like you and mom. If you can't tell, I'm not a mixture of both of you. I am the child that Kaelynne and Uriah would have had, if they were married. So I'm sorry for doubting that they aren't my parents and that you are. Maybe I have a different father, maybe he is Four. Maybe a different mother. Sorry for doubting that you guys are my parents because we're nothing alike."

"You know what April. You're nothing but a selfish brat-"

"Yeah I've heard-"

"You think you can get your way whenever. You are nothing like me, nor your mother. This is why we like Ivan. He's perfect, you always go running around blabbing your mouth off"

"He's gonna crack." Zaiah whispers in my ear. 

"This is why I didn't take you." My father starts again. "You need to learn to be taken down a few pegs. But I would, have taken, Ivan."

"You just told a class of 10 people, that you would have saved Ivan, not me. I do understand that, I blab my mouth off, and I'm not perfect-"

"April-"

"Like Ivan. But at least you have to-"

"April-"

"Try to love me the same-"

"April-"

"All you care about is your precious Ivan. Not me, not Zaiah, not even Jai. Just Ivan-"

"Sometimes I wish you weren't my daughter."

My face drains of color, my mouth hangs open, and I develop goosebumps on my arms. 

"I-I didn't know you felt that way."

"April I'm-"

'No Dad it's-it's okay. I'll be good. I'll be quiet." 

Tears start coming down my face.

***

Afterwards, I help put away knives and everything, with everybody else.

"looks like the one disowned by her father, isn't crying yet. Surprised? Yup" A transfer says. I can tell her used to be a Candor, because of the way he just speaks his mind.

"Justin, shut up." Four says. 

"Nope. I'm speaking my mind."

I start walking towards him.

"Wow. I'm so scared." he says dryly.

"You better be. She's fricken terrifying." James says.

When I stand right in front of him, our faces are about six inches away from each other. He is tensed up, showing he's nervous, with being this close to a girl.

"You think you're cool Candor, but now you're in Dauntless. I can tell you're nervous, scared even. But here's some words of advice; your opinion doesn't matter, neither do you, you can be replaced in no time. By the way, don't speak up to me again, Ethan. I can, and I will kill you."

I whisper all of this, making myself sound even more intimidating than before. 

"If you ever call me by my last name again, I will kill you." he tells me, scowling. I let out a chuckle, confusing him, make making his scowl develop even more.

"Yeah, right, Candor. Just keep thinking that. Okay Ethan?" 

"I'm not afraid of a little girl." 

"You sure about that Candor? You sure are acting scared." 

He straightens his posture, and tries to slap my face. I duck, while he slaps a metal pole. I grab the collar of his shirt, and I pull him closer, as his eyes go wide, showing the bright blue color, his hair hides. I study the color. There's a small tint of black, but the bright blue hides it. 

"Listen to me; you're in Dauntless now, you don't matter right now. Once you pass training you will, but with your mouth, you might not, I'm not afraid of you, nobody is, but they sure are of me." 

He rolls his eyes. 

"I'm quicker than you-" I cut him off by slapping the side of his face, but he doesn't get the memo, because then he continues on with a "I'm stronger than you-"

I grab his arm, and I flip him, onto his back, so he hits the floor with a thud. 

"I'm smarter than you though." 

"If you were smarter than me, then you would have stopped when I slapped your face, and you wouldn't have continued on with 'I'm stronger' and 'I'm smarter' you sure are an idiot."