kids

"you were a child, crawling on your knees toward him, making momma so proud. but your voice was too loud." - kids [mgmt]

a/n: trigger warning

Pete drives Amelia home the day before her and Maya have to go back to school. Maya wakes up lying on Sarah and Brendon's bed. She remembers walking in crying after a nightmare. Sarah sits on the edge of the bed and messes Maya's hair a little "Morning sleepy head." Maya smiles "Hi." she sits up as Sarah stands again "I'm going out with Linda today, Spence might be coming over later." Maya nods as Brendon walks in "Wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey." he declares, running over and picking Maya up before running back through the house to the kitchen. Maya giggles as he places her on the counter "Was that necessary?" She smiles and Brendon nods "Definitely, yep, totally needed to happen." He decides, handing her a plate that she eats quickly. 

"Do I have to go back tomorrow." She whines, putting the plate down and holding her arms out to Brendon, who nods before hugging her "Yeah, you do. Sorry kiddo." Maya sighs, walking to the sofa and scratching Bogart's head "Stranger Things?" She asks, looking over the couch to where Brendon stands, making coffee. He nods and falls onto the sofa next to his daughter. Spencer lets himself in, sitting on Maya's other side, when the episode finishes Brendon looks up "Spencer, when the fuck did you get here?" Maya rolls her eyes "Language." Spencer laughs "Almost half an hour ago. I'm really flattered that you didn't even notice me." Brendon rolls his eyes "Next episode!" He shouts, looking at his phone.

Maya's been covered in cake mix when Sarah returns, Spencer and Brendon are shouting at each other, flinging the mix across the kitchen at each other laughing. Sarah and Linda enter the kitchen, finding Maya in the middle of the cake-war, Spencer, Maya and Brendon collapse laughing. Sarah only sighs "What were you even making?" She asks. Brendon, licking the mix off a spoon, shrugs "Stuff. Chocolate cake." Sarah rolls her eyes "You're cleaning this up." Linda laughs, shaking her head and smiling at the three. 

Maya's nervous to return to school, the few bruises on her face have mostly faded, but the ones covering her arms and legs haven't. She takes Sarah's oversized tour hoodie and wears it with a pair of skinny jeans. Brendon drives her to school, and walks to admin with her "I need to talk to the principle." He states, before walking through to the principle's office. The woman at the front desk stutters for a moment before sighing and turning away as Maya follows Brendon in "I'm Maya's dad, Brendon." The principle looks up from his computer "We've met." He nods, and motions for Brendon and Maya to sit down "I'm here to make a complaint about another student, Miles-" the principle sighs and rubs his forehead "What's he done now." Brendon glances at Maya, who nods as Brendon shows him the photos of Maya's bruises from the party. He swears quietly "I knew it'd be risky letting him in again, but he'd been kicked out of nearly every school in LA. I suggested homeschooling to his family, but they insisted that he'd changed." the principle mutters, looking to a seemingly calm Brendon, who was really very angry "There's no doubt about it, this is going to get him expelled. I'll change his classes for the next week and get him break-time duties so there's no way of him talking to you." He nods at Maya "I'll make sure the board get him out before monday next week." Brendon nods thankfully before shaking his hand, and standing.     

Maya sits with Amelia, Noah, Sam and Piper in the cafeteria for the first time in almost five months. It's good to be back, but she can feel the stares of the silent students, everyone knows what happened. Miles is gone, and the entire cafeteria is void of sound, the occasional sniff or cough and clank of trays on table is the only noise echoing through the space. Maya pulls the sleeves of the hoodie over her hands, not hungry anymore. Noah collects her tray for her, standing protectively in-front of her as she follows him to music. Rose and Casey walk past, followed by three others from Mile's group. Noah glares at them as they laugh walking past, wrapping his arm around Maya's shoulders as she walks with him, looking at the floor. In each of her classes it's the same thing, the room is silent when she enters. She doesn't look up, walking quickly to her desk and staring straight ahead, avoiding the stares from her classmates. 

Though she doesn't see Miles again, all the other students behave the same for the next three days. And Maya's starting to loose hope.

She walks home that day, it's a long walk, but she's hoping it'll clear her head. All she can think about is what they would've been saying about her at school, that she deserved it, that she wanted it. She glances up at the skyscrapers of LA, grimacing as she thinks of the drop from on top of the arena. Maya pushes the door open, patting Penny who's waiting at the door. Brendon had a meeting today, and Sarah was with Meagan, so she's home alone with the dogs for a few more hours. She sits at her desk, music playing softly as she finishes math homework, and starts a geography assignment. 

She finishes all her schoolwork, and she's still got another hour until Brendon's home. She walks around the house, fiddling with the piano for a few minutes. It's like she blanks out for a few minutes, and she finds herself sitting on the edge of the bathtub, staring at boxes and bottles of pills kept in the bathroom cabinet. She picks one up, tossing it into the air and catching it "I could do it. Right now, I could take all these pills, and not have to bother anymore." She mutters. Her phone buzzes and she hesitates before picking it up 

brendad 💫: on my way home kiddo x

maya: see you soon :)

She places the phone back down, tracing her fingers over one of the darker bruises that remains. She looks back at the pills, back down to her arm. She's crying now, and she doesn't know why because she's not sad or angry she's just numb. Numb from the memories of hateful insults and bruising punches from people she doesn't know and faces she can't name. She grabs the bottle closest to her, undoing the lid and emptying the pills into her hand before shoving them into her mouth, forcing herself to swallow. Everything's moving too quickly for her to have second thoughts, before she knows what's going on the pills are gone, an empty bottle rests in her hand. 

She sinks down to the bathroom floor, crying. Her vision becomes foggy, and her hearing feels a little distorted but she can hear the front door open and Brendon calling out "Maya? I'm home." He walks in, dumping a backpack on the floor near the door. Sarah enters a few minutes after him, kissing him and walking to the kitchen. Brendon looks in the lounge and studio for Maya, calling her name through the house. He walks back to the front door in time to see her stumbling down the stairs, her hair sticks to her face and her breathing is completely irregular, her eyes are wide with dilated pupils. In her left hand she grips a white bottle. Brendon runs forward, grabbing the plastic container and opening it, finding it empty. Maya falls the rest of the way down the stairs, Brendon catches her before she hits the ground. He's sobbing and clutches his now unconscious daughter tightly to his chest "Sarah!" He screams, barely comprehending the situation as he sits at the bottom of the stairs "Sarah!" He cries again, Sarah sprints in, worry evident on her face as Brendon holds Maya tightly. Sarah pulls her phone out, calling an ambulance, tears running down her face, her hands shaking. She gives them their address and explains what's happened, breathing in jumpy gasps. She falls next to Brendon, running her fingers through Maya's hair in an effort to focus. Neither of them feel like they know what's going on. Neither of them are okay in the slightest. Within ten minutes the ambulance is there, rushing Maya out and onto a bed, connecting monitors and an oxygen mask to her. 

Brendon and Sarah sit in the back of the ambulance as they drive to the hospital, Brendon with his arm around Sarah, Sarah leaning her head on his shoulder.  

a/n: i went okay let's publish a bit of a happy chapter because this week's been pretty crap but i already had this as the next chapter and whoops i'll work on some cute stuff now 

hope you liked it kids 

grace x