long may your innocence reign

"be still, and go on to bed. nobody knows what lies ahead." -  be still [the killers]

"Brendon?" Sarah yells, dragged out  by a nurse as doctors flood the room. They're shouting, but above it all she can hear the flatline. Amelia walks towards her, and she can hear Maya calling from her bed. Sarah's sobbing at this point, and she holds Amelia close until she's pulled away once more by someone stronger. Pete pulls her into a tight hug "I'm sorry I only just got here." He whispers quickly, before Meagan pulls her into another hug "He'll be okay. They'll fix everything. He'll make it through." Sarah nods as best she can, grabbing Amelia's hand as they stand outside. The doctors are all shouting at each other, before there's silence. Sarah cries into Meagan's shoulder.  

Maya can only hear screaming that she assumes is Sarah's. Ryan holds her hand tightly, blocking the noise from the corridor out as he comforts Maya "It's okay. Everything's gonna be alright, I promise." He mumbles as Maya sits up, throwing her arms around the man's neck and beginning to cry.

What feels like hours, but is really only minutes, pass before there's more shouting. Meagan shakes her slightly, crying as well "Sarah, Sarah they've got him back. He's back. He's okay." Sarah stops, staring at meagan before collapsing into relieved tears. The doctors slowly file out of Brendon's room after checking the monitors. Sarah sits next to his bed again, and doesn't move for the five hours until he wakes up. He coughs before his eyes open slowly, and Sarah sits up, still holding his hand "Hey Bren." She whispers, he smiles slightly "What happened?" She sighs "You and the girls were in an car accident," he nods "You've been unconscious for a week, a few hours ago you flatlined." His eyes widen a little "What're they saying?" Sarah shrugs "They reckon you'll be fine. Probably a few more days in here, and then resting for a week or two more at home." He nods again "How're Amelia and Maya?" Sarah nods back "Amelia's been discharged. She wasn't injured, she just had a minor concussion. Maya's a little worse, she's on crutches for three weeks." 

Noah knocks on the door to Maya's room nervously, and she opens her eyes slowly, having just woken up. She smiles slightly as he enters "Hey, when'd you get here?" He shrugs "Twenty minutes ago, I was talking to Ryan for a little. How're you feeling?" She motions for him to sit down "Okay, leg's a little achey but I'm okay. How've you been?" Noah laughs quietly "Yeah I'm good. I was worried about you though," He takes her hand carefully "Your mom called me a few days ago and explained everything. But I couldn't get here to see you until today." Maya smiles back "It's okay. I've had Pete and Gerard and Ryan looking after me." She giggles and Noah grins. She pauses for a moment before asking "Do you think you could go see Brendon for me?" She mumbles and he squeezes her hand gently "Course, I'll be back in a minute." He stands and leaves, and Maya can't help but miss holding his hand.

"Noah." Sarah waves him into the room "How are you?" She asks and he shrugs "I'm good thanks Mrs Urie." He smiles and Sarah shakes her head "Mrs Urie makes me sound like my mom." She laughs "How's Maya?" Brendon asks. He nods "She's good. She asked me to come see you both for her." Sarah nods as he continues "She had her leg's a bit achey today, but other than that she's fine." Brendon glances up again "I never got to thank you for looking after her with Miles. So thank you, it means a lot." Noah nods again "We should've stepped in before it got to that. But thanks, I wouldn't want to see her get hurt at all if I could help it." She's asleep again when he returns. He sits in the same seat, holding her hand. He wishes he could tell her everything she's missed, and how much he missed her. But he has to let her sleep.

Noah's phone begins to ring, he's sitting next to Maya, telling her about the new music teacher that's started at their school "Hey." He answers, his mother talks quickly, telling him he needs to come home because they've just got his science results and they're not happy. He rolls his eyes, grinning at Maya who's holding back laughter "Yeah, I'll be home soon. Bye." He hangs up, looking back to Maya "So I've gotta go, but I'll text you when I can get back. Rest up, okay?" She nods and he hesitates before standing, kissing her cheek quickly. He walks away, waving "Bye Maya." She smiles at him, blushing just a little "Bye Noah." 

Sarah leaves Brendon to go see Maya in ten minutes after Noah leaves. She hugs her, before Maya pulls her mom down to sit next to her. Sarah only laughs and wraps her arms around her daughter carefully "How did you and dad meet?" Sarah laughs again "At the time Bren was touring with Ryan and Spence, and there was someone else playing bass before Dallon, his name was Jon. I was in a relationship with someone else, but we met on the Pretty Odd tour. It was something like eight months later, he was a complete stalker and somehow through some mutual friends we met again, and I was single. The rest you can guess." she takes a breath "We had been dating for two years when the band came back, without Jon and Ryan, and I was there for most of the recording of Vices. Spence left the band after Vices and Virtues was over, and Brendon was pretty worried about him for a bit, because of his addiction. But everything cleared up and a few months before Too Weird To Live came out we got married. He spent most of his time writing Death Of A Bachelor and finding something that worked as a sound that he could pull off as a one man band. And he did it pretty well if you ask me." Maya smiles "That's cute." Sarah laughs "What is?" Maya leans her head back to Sarah's shoulder, closing her eyes "He went back to look for you even though the last time you'd met you were dating someone else and it'd almost been a year." Sarah nods "I guess it was." She smile.

"Why'd you adopt?" Maya asks softly, holding her mom's hand tightly. Sarah thinks for a moment "Well, we made the choice about starting a family a few months before the album came out. And Brendon didn't want to leave me by myself with a baby, and I didn't want to feel like I was weighing him down either. So we decided to adopt you." She tickles Maya's ribs, laughing as Maya giggles "And I couldn't be gladder that we did. You're amazing May. You're the best thing that's happened to either of us. And I love you so, so much." Maya smiles up at Sarah "I love you too mom."

a/n: naw this one got a little cute at the end. sarah's the best mom tho let's be real + sorry for killing brendon it just sort of happened but everyone chill he's back sorry for sending you into a twenty four hour panic + all the info about how brendon met sarah and the stuff in-between i got off brendon's reddit q&a from a while ago 

hope you liked this one kids + sorry for freakin' you out

grace x