far too young to die

"dear friend here we are again pretending to understand how you think your world is ending." - lovely [twenty øne piløts]

They stay in the hospital for another four days, Ryan, Sarah, Pete and Gerard swap between sitting with Amelia and Maya. When they can leave, Maya's handed a pair of crutches "Do you know how to use crutches?" The nurse asks, Maya nods and thanks her before the nurse leaves. Amelia walks slowly with her to Brendon's room where Sarah and Brendon are signing the discharge papers.

Sarah drives home, and Brendon's anxiety grows the more traffic they approach. Maya isn't quite as nervous, trying to stay calm because Brendon's panicking enough for all of them, Amelia's pretty chill, holding Maya's hand comfortingly. Sarah glances into the mirror "How're we doing in the backseat?" Maya nods quietly and Amelia offers a small smile "We're good." Sarah nods back, holding Brendon's hand tightly. 

Somehow, Tyler and Jenna open their front door when they arrive. Sarah frowns for a moment, laughing "How'd you get in?" Jenna shrugs "Pete." Brendon smiles "I don't even want to know where he got a key from." Sarah rolls her eyes as she walks slowly with Brendon to the sofa, Amelia helping Maya inside. Maya pauses as she enters the kitchen, resting her crutches against the wall as she sits on the counter "How do I get upstairs?" She asks, giggling. Sarah thinks for a moment "You can still go upstairs on crutches, it'll just take a while, or you can stay on the sofa." Maya shrugs "Sofa." She grins as Tyler leaves to bring her things down from her room. Sarah and Jenna begin getting some food out, it's getting to dinner, and Jenna insists that Sarah sits down and that her and Tyler can cook, but Sarah argues that she's been sitting for days and Jenna has to agree. They eat, and Brendon looks exhausted, so Sarah sends him to bed telling him he needs to rest. Tyler begins cleaning up when Sarah offers to do it "Sarah we're not leaving you to look after everyone. You've been through enough." Tyler reasons, Jenna nodding "We can hang around and sort things out for you for the next few days." Sarah frowns "Aren't you guys busy, Tyler you've just got off tour. And I'm-" Tyler shakes his head "We're not busy, and it's not a big deal if we help you out. Really." Sarah concedes defeat before Jenna hugs her, laughing "See. That wasn't too hard. Now you should get some rest too." Sarah nods again, yawning as she turns to leave the kitchen, saying goodnight to Amelia and Maya before turning back "Thank you though, really. For staying." Jenna shrugs "It's fine. You've helped us out plenty of times, we owe you anyway." 

Amelia hugs Jenna and Tyler goodnight before trudging up the stairs, leaving Maya downstairs as they clean up the kitchen. Jenna wipes over the bench before sitting next to Maya, who leans over for a hug "How're you feeling?" She asks as Tyler places plates in the dishwasher. Maya shrugs "Still a little tired. But it doesn't hurt as much." Jenna nods, holding her carefully. Tyler picks the small girl up, laughing when she squeals "I can walk Ty." She giggles as he shakes his head and continues walking towards the sofa. He moves a cushion to place her down, kissing the top of her head as he does so. Maya yawns as Jenna places her blankets over her "Night May." They whisper as she closes her eyes and falls asleep. 

"You've gotta be quiet you dipshit."

"Well I'm being quieter than you, you salty piece of crap."

"Is that even an insult?"

"I don't know, it sounded better in my head."

Maya blinks, pulling the covers up as she rolls over on the sofa. She looks up, finding her legs are resting over Brendon's lap, and Pete and Patrick standing in the kitchen with Tyler and Jenna "Morning." She mumbles, sitting up and hugging Brendon, who pulls her into his lap and hugs her tightly "Hey kiddo." he sighs, switching the tv on as Maya rests her head on his shoulder and closes her eyes again "You guys are the opposite of quiet." She smiles when Pete hits Patrick "Told you so." he shouts. Maya giggles, Brendon's arms protectively wrapped around his daughter. His phone buzzes, and he moves one arm from around Maya to pick it up.

ryan: hey, sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you about anything. ever. this is an apology for the past few years, i guess the whole accident thing was really a wake up call for me about how you're still one of my best friends and how sorry i am that i didn't try hard enough after the split. i get it if you're upset or angry, but just know that i'm truly, truly sorry.

brendon: firstly, thank you for being there for my daughter. i don't know what i or she would've done without you there. thank you. and it's cool. i'm sorry i was such a salty bitch about everything. i was young and we were all thrown into fame. we didn't know what we wanted to do or where we wanted to go. i'm sorry too.

ryan: cool that we're cool. 

brendon: yeah. it's just a shame it's taken this long. starting fresh ?

ryan: sounds like a plan

He places his phone down, looking back to Maya who's now asleep on his shoulder. Sarah enters the room and laughs quietly, kissing Brendon before walking to the kitchen to help Pete and Patrick.

a/n: short ! i don't have an excuse either !

grace x