fake it 'till you make it

"and you would do almost anything just to feel free. am i right, of course i am convince me otherwise would take all night. before you walk away, there's one more thing i want to say, our brains are sick but that's okay." - fake you out [twenty øne piløts]

"What about white walls with black lights as tube lights so it's like the opposite colors of mine? Also anything white would do that glow-y purple thing and look super cool at night." Maya suggests as they walk through the store, looking at bed frames. Amelia nods her head excitedly "That'd be so cool, but only if you guys are cool with it." Brendon laughs "Amelia we let Maya stay by herself with Fall Out Boy, anything could've happened. Painting your room and buying furniture isn't a big deal." Sarah nods, putting her arm around Amelia's shoulders "It's cool with us for you to ask anything, unless it's alcohol, or like drugs and stuff." Amelia giggles a little and nods, hugging Sarah as they enter the store.

When they return home the car's full of things to design Amelia's room with. Maya runs into the lounge, picking Bogart up and swinging the dog into the air before cuddling him "Pizza?" She asks with her face blocked by the dog she's hugging, Brendon nods "We can set up everything with pizza." He declares, beginning to take things into Amelia's new room. The pizza arrives and Maya gives them the cash before running upstairs where Sarah, Amelia, and Brendon are painting the walls. Sarah squeals as Brendon flicks paint at her, and Maya and Amelia laugh at them as Sarah does the same and Brendon's face is covered in paint.

Bogart wakes Amelia, jumping on the mattress that they put on the floor of her new room while the paint dries before they can get her bed frame into the room. She takes a moment to realize where she is, and sighs with a new feeling of comfort that there are going to be people who care if she eats breakfast or not. But then she remembers that they're getting english and math grades back today, and her comfortable mood drops. Her parents had been convinced that her dyslexia could be treated, and that it was all just some kind of lifestyle choice. They'd taken her to psychologists and psychiatrists, convinced they'd be able to fix her. All the doctors she'd seen had said the same thing, that she had a condition that couldn't be treated with medication, not that her parents ever listened. How Brendon and Sarah will react when they find out, she doesn't know. It wasn't like it was debilitating or anything, it just made her a slow learner in specific areas. She'd learnt how to deal with it in almost all her subjects, she'd try and use as many kinetic and auditory sources of information or studying programs as she could, and most times it worked, she could keep up with the class. But in math and english things got difficult, she could use audiobooks, but it depended on the teacher and the assessment, math she had no option but to try and do everything like everyone else.

Sarah knocks on the door lightly, carrying in three stacked boxes "Good morning." She smiles and walk in as Amelia sits up "These are all your clothes. We forgot to bring them in yesterday. Breakfast's downstairs when you're ready." Amelia nods before Sarah leaves "Thank you." She smiles back and gets dressed quickly, the feeling in the pit of her stomach, that they'll be disappointed when they find out, growing. Maya notices how jumpy Amelia is as they take their seats in English "What's wrong?" She frowns, having an off day herself. Amelia shakes her head quickly "Just tired of school already." She tries to laugh, but it sounds more nervous than sarcastic. Maya nods slowly, not thinking much more of it as they wait for the teacher.  

"Dad?" Maya asks as the phone's answered. Brendon nods, his hand falls away from the guitar he was holding "Yeah, Maya what's wrong?" She shakes her head, leaning against her locker in the empty corridor "Today's feeling kinda crappy." She admits quietly. Brendon relaxes a little, but frowns "Kiddo, I wish I could give you a hug." He sighs, suddenly missing having everyone around the house like it had been for the past two weeks. She nods "Yeah, I love you dad." She mumbles, her mood dropping a little more as she realises how much she misses her family when she's at school "Love you too kiddo. You better get going though, make sure you have lunch. I'll come pick you and Amelia up today." Maya nods "See you then." 

Amelia becomes even more nervous when Maya tells her Brendon's picking them up. She doesn't want them to be disappointed in her when she's only been living with them for three days. When the bell rings, Maya and Amelia are complete opposites. Maya's almost running out of class while Amelia drags her feet as she walks behind Maya. Maya's already clutching her english and math papers in her hands when the reach the black car. Brendon's leaning against the passenger door, sunglasses on with a snapback on his head. Maya runs towards him and he smiles, picking her up as she hugs him "I missed you today kiddo." He smiles as she nods "I missed you too. When can we go on tour again." She giggles and Brendon shakes his head "Not just yet, make it through till summer and I'll see what we can do." He smiles and looks to Amelia "Hey Mel, do I get a hug?" He jokes and she nods, walking forward and hugging him "What's up?" He asks almost immediately, she shakes her head once more "Nothing. Just wanna get home." She tries a smile and he's unsure at first, but takes it, opening the door for them before starting the car and driving away from the school.

Sarah arrives home at the same time as them, and Maya sets her english and math papers on the table. As she does she glances to Amelia, who fidgets before placing her own papers down. Maya frowns, but Amelia looks at the floor. Sarah picks the papers up and reads over them, a crease forming between her eyebrows as she reads the grades and comments. Amelia's fear returns instantly "I, I can explain-" She stutters, fumbling to find the right words. Sarah drops the paper lightly to the table "Hey, Mel, we're not angry." She says softly, trying to comfort her as she collapses into clear panic. Brendon nods "It's okay, we're not upset." Amelia's shaking "I'm dyslexic." she blurts out, waiting for their disappointed reactions. She stares at the floor until Brendon picks her hand up for a high-five before hugging her "Welcome to the 'special kids' club. It's not a big deal kid, I've got ADHD." her smile returns slowly as she recognises what he said. In elementary school during normal math and english she'd always have to go to the 'special kids classes' which were really just a specialist teacher trying to catch her up on everything the class was doing. Sarah hugs her too, and Maya joins their group hug as well. Sarah smiles gently "It's okay, getting a C isn't the end of the world Mel." Sarah frowns as she continues "I don't know what expectations you've been given, but a pass is a pass kid. As long as you're not failing every class, it's a good grade." Amelia smiles, because it's the first time she's been told that any less than an A is a good mark.

a/n: okay i'm having a self-conflict over whether or not i should do something in a later chapter that relates to amelia as well as maya but ugh if i do choose to do said thing then i don't want to tell you guys now because spoilers but damn i can't decide let's just see where this goes from here 

hope you liked it kids !

grace x